Question about FAQ glennpendlay Post

Crossmcc

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 for the past 4 months and finished at full 12 weeks and was going to start again for more gains. but i have found doing 3 days a week strength training and 2 days a week conditioning first thing in the mornings and i also try do bjj most days in the evening depending on how i feel. so i found i was able to do BJJ on average about 2-3 times a week.
Now since i have been on a break from lifting (3 weeks) i found I have far more energy for BJJ (obviously :D) but my game feels like it has improved far more in the last 3 weeks with having more energy and being able to concentrate better on techniques and having more energy for sparring i can try more thing and improve them faster.
So i liked the sound of the post at the end of the FAQ by glennpendlay stating that you only need to do 3 big lifts then 10 min of conditioning 3 times a week. To maintain and slightly increase your strength and conditioning. I am aware that my strength is not going to increase at the same rate as it was on the 5x5 but i am looking to improve my BJJ skill first and foremost and strength and conditioning second.
So my question is do i go about the lifts in the same manner as i was doing in the Stronglifts 5x5. so for 3x5 Squats do i lift as say 90kg 5 times for 3 sets then next time i am doing add 1 or 2 kg every time until i can't complete 3 full sets then drop 10% and keep going back up again or do i lift say 50,70 then of the last set 100kg and increase every week as above?

Thanks

There are many ways to go about it, that is why GP didn't specify it. A lot depends on your work capacity and your experience level.

A foolproof way is this: start with 5x5 sets across (since you got used to that while doing Stronglifts), deload (drop 10% and work back up with smaller increments) as necessary. When you have already deloaded twice and reached a point where you can't get all sets, switch to 3x5 sets across. Repeat the same, then switch to either 3x5 ramped or 3x3 sets across. Repeat the same, once done switch to some sort of weekly periodization (or another intermediate program).

thanks miaou thats exactly the info i was after. I will give that a go

Back