quest to be stronger

big 7

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everybody
My goals are to getting stronger in everything . im 17 5'8 150 pounds (also trying to put on some weight) ive been doing body building for 3-4 months ha huge mistake now im looking to get stronger i weight lift 3x week and grappling almost every night

my program

Monday
Bench 5x1 - ten min break 2x5
standing overhead press 3x5
squats 3x5
dumbbell raises 3x8
j m press or dips 3x
pull ups 3x

Wednesday

Dead lift 3x2 ten min break 2x5
Squats 3x3
Good mornings 3x5
calf raises 2x5
chain saws 3x5

Friday

Bench same as Monday
squats 3x5
OPH-3x3
Dips 3x
shrugs 3x8

if anyone got advice please give

im not very strong at all mostly why i made this log
my 1st work out

Bench

155x1 ..all easy gotta go up next workout just getting a feel for it
155x1
150x1
150x1
150x1
145x3
140x5

OPH

95x5 easy as well need to add weight
95x5
95x5

front raises
15'sx8
20x8
20x8

Dips
Bw+45 3x12

Pull ups
10,10 ,10

need to go up next week in everything.

Welcome to the logs.

I would recommend following a program made by the experts and save making your own programs until you're a little more experienced and know more about your body and what works best for you.

Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength would be a good starting point.

Good luck.

thank you ive read the FAQ and mostly all the workouts , do u seen any problems with the workout specifically for reps , exercises ?

Nothing really wrong with what you have there. I just feel your time would be better spent focusing on the core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, press, chins) concentrating on form, taking your time between sets and getting out of the gym to rest rest for your next session. Since you're just starting out, you're weak all over (not trying to sound insulting). The point of accessory work would be to help you out on a weak part of your lift.

Further, considering you're fairly active (grappling nearly every night), you would want to spend as short as possible a time in the gym to go and promote recovery. However, you're young and if you want to do your other exercises, you can. They are good choices, much better than anything I was doing at your age. If you enjoy them you should keep them. But if you are looking for fast, consistent gains, a tried program like SL or SS would be your best bet.

Do you plan to follow linear progression?

Do you plan to follow linear progression? if u mean goals yes i have goals for December and June. trying to add weight on to lifts almost Evey lift
for example on my bench singles lets say i do for example 155x1 for 5 sets the next day it'll be 160x1 155x1 155x1 etc.. --- 5 sets i know this wont always happen epically when i move up in weight/bad lifting days )

By linear progression I meant adding weight every single work-out as long as form is good and you're getting all your planned reps. At your strength levels and age, with consistency and plenty of eating and sleeping, you can go off adding 5-20lb to your squat and deadlift and 5-10lb to your bench and press every session for 10 weeks plus easy. All this is programmed into a program like stronglifts or SS.

If you think you can continuously add that much weight each and every session with your current routine go for it. If you don't think you can, I once again go back and recoomend SL or SS.

Good luck and cheers.

welcome to the logs,

Wednesday

Dead lift
warm up

315x1 -- PR:icon_chee
265x3
265x3
265x2 grip!!!!

Good mornings
75x5
75x5
75x5

Front squats
95x5
95x5
115x5

chain saws

50x8
70x8
70x8

and some light shrugs

going to go up to 275 for 3's next week on Dead lift, 1st time ive ever done good mornings so it was new getting the Technique down be4 anything. my squats are horrable but working on my weakness-- btw this was light day with squats never did front squats in awhile-- trying to get front and back squats up is one of my main goals aside from dead lift.
LOng Way to go :icon_arro

Welcome to the logs. Good work and congrats on the PR!! Btw, toonie's advice is very good.

Back