Movies Quentin Tarantino's Final Film? The Movie Critic

It is very weird he thinks this about Ryan Reynold's movies when he makes high end schlock. Like, Tartintino doesn't make classical cinema. He makes stuff that 13 year old boys love. He is good at that. Don't get me wrong but he isn't putting out what he thinks he is putting out.

He’s not wrong though about his movies, whether you like them or not, they do form a major part of the cultural zeitgeist. Not all of his movies have that impact, but Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, Django and Once Upon were all immensely popular at the time of their release and people still talk about them.

Reynolds on the other hand has only really made one movie ever that left an impact in the cultural zeitgeist, with the first Deadpool. But all the random other shit he puts out like Red Notice and the Hitman’s Bodyguard are movies that you watch on Netflix when you’re looking for something that you only need to half pay attention to and then you forget completely. It’s kind of ironic that the only movie Reynolds has made that left an impact is one where you barely see his face.

He’s not wrong though about his movies, whether you like them or not, they do form a major part of the cultural zeitgeist. Not all of his movies have that impact, but Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, Django and Once Upon were all immensely popular at the time of their release and people still talk about them.

Reynolds on the other hand has only really made one movie ever that left an impact in the cultural zeitgeist, with the first Deadpool. But all the random other shit he puts out like Red Notice and the Hitman’s Bodyguard are movies that you watch on Netflix when you’re looking for something that you only need to half pay attention to and then you forget completely. It’s kind of ironic that the only movie Reynolds has made that left an impact is one where you barely see his face.

Tarantino's movies are never as popular as you think. Hateful 8 only did $156 million at the box office. Kill Bill 1 and 2 both did under $180 million. This idea that he is some type of a blockbuster printing machine isn't really true.

Tarantino's movies are never as popular as you think. Hateful 8 only did $156 million at the box office. Kill Bill 1 and 2 both did under $180 million. This idea that he is some type of a blockbuster printing machine isn't really true.

I never said anything about box office revenue. That’s not the measuring stick for cultural significance of a movie. Considering all of his movies are rated R they’re never going to be box office smashes like an MCU movie. But when I say they’re popular I mean the fact that people will keep talking about them for months and years after they release. I’m not sure why you’d characterize his movies as good for 13 year olds. When Django came out I was a junior associate at the first law firm I worked at and I remember the three most senior partners of the firm who were all in their late 60s coming back from a coffee break and talking about what a great film it was. QT’s movies are not just for young teenagers - their popularity among Sherdoggers, which in Mayberry in particular is primarily guys over age 35, speaks for itself.

He's not a blockbuster machine, and I don't think anyone ever said he was. But look at the budgets of his movies vs their returns, and on top of which he makes R rated movies which consistently do less box office.

Even as his budgets have climbed, he's consistently making easily triple the budget or more in box office alone. So studios would love to finance pretty much anything he does.

Last edited:
One thing that comes to mind with The Movie Critic being dropped is that the film seemed like it was likely to be build on a series of segments around different actors/films and perhaps one of those segments ended up being more interesting to him than the film as a whole?

One thing that comes to mind with The Movie Critic being dropped is that the film seemed like it was likely to be build on a series of segments around different actors/films and perhaps one of those segments ended up being more interesting to him than the film as a whole?

Could be, its hard to say until he comes out and addresses it. He had a similar realization midway through writing a sequel to Django that Django had no place in the story, so he turned it into The Hateful 8.

It seems the film became some sort of OUATIH continuation with Cliff Booth possibly becoming the main character and then he decided for whatever reason to scrap it.

Perhaps he didn't want to rehash old material for a final movie, or maybe he felt he was going too far up his own as with a story that was more inside baseball than an broad audience would be interested in. He canceled The Films of Rick Dalton book for that very reason.

Last edited:
Could be, its hard to say until he comes out and addresses it. It seems the film became some sort of OUATIH continuation with Cliff Booth possibly becoming the main character and then he decided for whatever reason to scrap it.

Perhaps he didn't want to rehash old material for a final movie, or maybe he felt he was going too far up his own as with a story that was more inside baseball than an broad audience would be interested it. He canceled The Films of Rick Dalton book for that very reason.
Every previous times he's considered following up on his previous character he's ultimately backed off, you had the Vega Bros and a Kill Bill follow up suggested in the past as well. Whilst his films get talked up as exercises in style they do tend to have characters created to fill a certain dramatic arc in them so pushing those characters into another story might not be easy.

I do wonder if perhaps you had something like the titular Movie Critic watching or being involved with the production of fictional films and QT desided he actually wanted to make one of those films instead.

The talk about him doing stage plays after his 10th film I spose might not be that unrealistic, the stage in the mid 20th century was viewed more as something which was a start to a career or done for the love of it(or the proof of talent) but more recently it has like a lot of live performances started to bring in very serious money and plenty of big name actors. A QT stage show which ran for a good lenght of time I can imagine making money not too far off of one of his films and maybe more profit?

Last edited:
Every previous times he's considered following up on his previous character he's ultimately backed off, you had the Vega Bros and a Kill Bill follow up suggested in the past as well. Whilst his films get talked up as exercises in style they do tend to have characters created to fill a certain dramatic arc in them so pushing those characters into another story might not be easy.

I do wonder if perhaps you had something like the titular Movie Critic watching or being involved with the production of fictional films and QT desided he actually wanted to make one of those films instead.

The talk about him doing stage plays after his 10th film I spose might not be that unrealistic, the stage in the mid 20th century was viewed more as something which was a start to a career or done for the love of it(or the proof of talent) but more recently it has like a lot of live performances started to bring in very serious money and plenty of big name actors.

We do know according to Paul Schrader that Tarantino asked permission to remake the end of Rolling Thunder (1977) as it was originally written in the script, at least that was before the rewrites that steered it in another direction. And that a number of real people were going to be portrayed, Joe Spinell among them...So whatever he had planned did seem very intriguing for a fan of that era of Hollywood.

His potential creative endeavors are the reason I'm not as up in my feelings about him wanting to end his filmography at 10. I enjoyed his books, look forward to his TV show and hope that some of the ideas he had for movies end up taking shape in some other form down the road. Including on the stage. He said he wrote a play dramatizing the meeting between Rick Dalton and Sergio Corbucci, so that might be something cool.

Last edited:
He's not a blockbuster machine, and I don't think anyone ever said he was. But look at the budgets of his movies vs their returns, and on top of which he makes R rated movies which consistently do less box office.

Even as his budgets have climbed, he's consistently making easily triple the budget or more in box office alone. So studios would love to finance pretty much anything he does.

Not even close to triple the total cost. Movies often spend like $60 million on advertising. Kevin Smith doesn't even advertise his movies anymore because he figures anyone knows who he is knows when he is putting out a movie and advertising would kill his low budget movies. He did Tusk I think for $3 million and he was in the green after just selling the distribution rights. Tarantino turns out a profit consistently but he isn't wacking it out of the park like Blumehouse Productions does. His movies cater to shlock for 13 year old boys and young men and that is a very limiting demographic. Jackie Brown was something that was much more mature and it just kind of flopped and stalled his career.

Well, if he stays in the 70s I'll be happy.

An article from the Hollywood Reporter revealing some insight on what The Movie Critic might have looked like. Looks like he was going to get super meta with it.

"The film’s exact story details are not known, but sources familiar with the project dropped a couple intriguing ideas to THR that Tarantino was toying with. One was that the Hollywood-set tale could serve as a Tarantino goodbye meta-verse with the director’s earlier movies existing in the same era of The Movie Critic (which could work, given that his films have a ’70s vibe). That way, Tarantino could bring back some of the stars of his earlier work to reprise their iconic characters in “movie within a movie” moments, or to play fictional versions of themselves as the actors who played those characters."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...antino-movie-critic-what-happened-1235879479/

An article from the Hollywood Reporter revealing some insight on what The Movie Critic might have looked like. Looks like he was going to get super meta with it.

"The film’s exact story details are not known, but sources familiar with the project dropped a couple intriguing ideas to THR that Tarantino was toying with. One was that the Hollywood-set tale could serve as a Tarantino goodbye meta-verse with the director’s earlier movies existing in the same era of The Movie Critic (which could work, given that his films have a ’70s vibe). That way, Tarantino could bring back some of the stars of his earlier work to reprise their iconic characters in “movie within a movie” moments, or to play fictional versions of themselves as the actors who played those characters."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...antino-movie-critic-what-happened-1235879479/

Wow, that's legitimately awful. I hope that he saves this type of silly shit for the novels that he'll write and I'll never read. For a film, he definitely made the right call abandoning this idea. It's too bad that he's so popular that even scrapped ideas get talked about. We shouldn't sift through the garbage cans of artists to talk about the shit that they themselves recognized weren't good ideas. But I've always trusted his judgment in what'd make a good movie and by dumping this one I see my trust is still being affirmed.

But I've always trusted his judgment in what'd make a good movie and by dumping this one I see my trust is still being affirmed.

The opening paragraph of the article:

“I trust myself as a writer, I trust my process,” Quentin Tarantino declared onstage at the Adobe Max creative conference in 2016. “I never try to take anything out too soon. If I do, I realize it, and I put it back.” The acclaimed filmmaker added: “Not every film needs to be made. Not every movie should be made.”

Seems like he couldn't settle on a way to tell the story, hence the rewrites...And if crawling up his own ass to this degree is the stuff we could expect from him going forward, then his instinct to retire is correct. I'm more that happy to read his crazy novels, but this kinda shit would sully his filmography...And he warned us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back