• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Quality BJJ Studios in North / Central NJ

ooitzoo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey Sherdog Grapplers -- its been a minute (or two). We moved to North / Central NJ mid-COVID and, now that things are back to normal, I want to find a quality BJJ school near me in the Short Hills / Milburn / Chatham(s) area of NJ. My google-fu has yielded the schools list below. I have trained at Vitor's in the city and it was good but want to get opinions since I've been out of BJJ for so long.

https://www.shaolinbjj.com/ - as mentioned, I trained here once or twice in the city and Vitor seems like a REALLY nice and genuine guy.

https://www.teamjucaoacademy.com/ - to be truthful, I've never heard of Jucao but that's indicative of absolutely nothing. Seems like a solid lineage and my previous training has been largely with Gracie Barra affiliated schools.

https://www.sheridanbjj.com/home-adult-jiu-jitsu - looks like a fairly standard BJJ operation but I can't find out any info on the instructors or their lineage.

Those are about all that I can good information on. I am trying to keep it within 10mi of home so I acknowledge that limits things a little.

Any additions or schools that I missed and should considered would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I know a few people that have trained with Jucao and/or his students at some of his schools in NYC. They all had positive experiences. Jucao himself has a reputation as a high level black belt and he wins masters worlds when he competes. I would check his school out. I am not very familiar with NJ geography but you may want to check out Pure MMA and Silver Fox also if they are close to you.

Please make sure you visit each location. They may have different offerings (kickboxing, wrestling, weight equipment, etc.) that will help you make a decision.

I know a few people that have trained with Jucao and/or his students at some of his schools in NYC. They all had positive experiences. Jucao himself has a reputation as a high level black belt and he wins masters worlds when he competes. I would check his school out. I am not very familiar with NJ geography but you may want to check out Pure MMA and Silver Fox also if they are close to you.

Please make sure you visit each location. They may have different offerings (kickboxing, wrestling, weight equipment, etc.) that will help you make a decision.
Thanks alot man.
Pure MMA seems to be a touch too far away from me but SilverFox looks pretty good. I'll be sure to check them out.

Silver Fox is definitely worth checking out but may be farther than you're willing to travel. Karol has been around a long time and I've had some nice interactions with him. All I know about Sheridan is that one of the instructors goes by Bearded Boomer on Instagram and is known for his dancing.

+1 for silver fox, always watch his videos and know plenty of dudes who have trained at his gyms and they love it

Silver Fox is definitely worth checking out but may be farther than you're willing to travel. Karol has been around a long time and I've had some nice interactions with him. All I know about Sheridan is that one of the instructors goes by Bearded Boomer on Instagram and is known for his dancing.

Thanks man.

Sheridan is looking less and less likely. Mostly because I can't find any meaningful information on them.

+1 for silver fox, always watch his videos and know plenty of dudes who have trained at his gyms and they love it
Silverfox is definitely on my list
Thanks both.

If you’re close to Montclair, check out North South BJJ. Karen and Adam are both high level black belts and quality human beings

Savarese BJJ. I once did a competition and didn't have anyone coaching me, so one of the instructors offered to coach me when he saw I was by myself.

If you’re close to Montclair, check out North South BJJ. Karen and Adam are both high level black belts and quality human beings

Savarese BJJ. I once did a competition and didn't have anyone coaching me, so one of the instructors offered to coach me when he saw I was by myself.

Thanks both.

North South is a great find. I likely trained with the owners while I was @ Clockwork many years ago. They're a touch far (~15mi or so) but I think I can make it work.

Savarese is, unfortunately, too far for me.

My current plan of attack is to try and bike over to the gym. The idea being that I need to drop weight and this would be a good way of doing that.

I'm pretty sure Edge Hoboken offers Bjj. And not sure if they offer bjj but K-Dojo in Fairfield is a high level grappling school.

I'm pretty sure Edge Hoboken offers Bjj. And not sure if they offer bjj but K-Dojo in Fairfield is a high level grappling school.
Hoboken is way too far (would either drive or take the train)
K-Dojo doesn't look like my cup of tea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back