q for fighters: guillotine

koquerelle

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Is there a good way to get out of one? Talking about the standing one.

I saw a video of Cro Cop where he was training. As soon as his opponent put a guillotine on him, Cro Cop let himself fall down and rolled on his back, which got him out of it. The force and quickness of the roll projected his opponent. Not far, but it was good enough to break the hold.

Shamrock did have a way with Zinoviev. Are there others?

What's the technique with each? thanks!

I'm not a fighter and that's why I ask.

koquerelle said:
Is there a good way to get out of one? Talking about the standing one.

I saw a video of Cro Cop where he was training. As soon as his opponent put a guillotine on him, Cro Cop let himself fall down and rolled on his back, which got him out of it. The force and quickness of the roll projected his opponent. Not far, but it was good enough to break the hold.

Shamrock did have a way with Zinoviev. Are there others?

What's the technique with each? thanks!

I'm not a fighter and that's why I ask.
The technique CC used does work sometimes, but you still gotta be careful, because it can result in neck injury.

i heard bas say a couple of different times that a fighter should bury his chin in to his opponents torso, but i think that is only when the choke isn't sunk in fully

linkgaetz said:
well, that clears things up.

Definitely.

There are some wrestling escapes that are very good for head locks but i think posters in the Grappling forum can answer your question with more details.

Many, many counters. Check out UFC 7 for a good example of the lifting escape by Marco Ruas vs. Larry Cureton. If not strong enough in legs and back: If opponent has right arm around your neck, grab his right forearm with your left to get some breathing room. Right arm can go over his right shoulder or be used to keep his hips away. Circle to side opposite your head and trip his left leg with your right. Should end up in side mount. Practice, Practice, Practice.

СПАСИБО

Yeah NATTO, that's also a good escape to get directly to a better position when the guillotine hasn't been applied yet. The first priority in any guillotine defense is to immediately defend your throat by pulling the hand down from you neck with one hand, that's if it's being applied.
If the choker hasn't really started cranking it yet, the move CroCop did in training is also effective, and you can either slam your opponents face on the mat, or throw him over your head and stand up again.
Silva's slam escape on Saku from a crotch underhook is another effective one if you're strong enough or have enough energy to execute it.
But if a standing guillotine is already being cranked hard, the best defense is to make the choker support your bodyweight until he gets tired and lets go. First pull down on the choking wrist with one hand and reach over his back with the other hand and place it between his shoulder blades. While doing this jump into a standing butterfly guard position. He won't be able to finish the choke and may possibly just tire himself out more. After he let's the choking pressure go but still has control of your neck simply transition to the previous escapes. Very easy to do.

What Silva did to Saku was probably the best way. Tuck your chin in quickly, lift them and dump them on their back and get their side and pull out. But if it was like how overeem had it on Igor than your kind of fucked. he already had that shit cranked before Igor could react.

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan]Yeah NATTO, that's also a good escape to get directly to a better position when the guillotine hasn't been applied yet. The first priority in any guillotine defense is to immediately defend your throat by pulling the hand down from you neck with one hand, that's if it's being applied.
If the choker hasn't really started cranking it yet, the move CroCop did in training is also effective, and you can either slam your opponents face on the mat, or throw him over your head and stand up again.
Silva's slam escape on Saku from a crotch underhook is another effective one if you're strong enough or have enough energy to execute it.
But if a standing guillotine is already being cranked hard, the best defense is to make the choker support your bodyweight until he gets tired and lets go. First pull down on the choking wrist with one hand and reach over his back with the other hand and place it between his shoulder blades. While doing this jump into a standing butterfly guard position. He won't be able to finish the choke and may possibly just tire himself out more. After he let's the choking pressure go but still has control of your neck simply transition to the previous escapes. Very easy to do.[/QUOTE]

If internet forum readers know this then why dont prof fighters like keviin randleman do this? ..it was the beginning of the match too, kind of sad

platypus said:
If internet forum readers know this then why dont prof fighters like keviin randleman do this? ..it was the beginning of the match too, kind of sad

Hammerhouse does not know good submission escapes. I was more sad to see Igor tap so quickly from Allistair.

platypus said:

Bad submission defense plus a surprise submission early in a fight by CroCop=submission.

reach for the wrist of the main arm, pull...and then do your best to maneuver out if standing....

Alot easier if your on the ground, same method but take your other hand, reach over his back as if you're trying to pick his pocket (essentially driving as deep as you can), then base up, driving your shoulder into his throat....either he's gonna give up the guilotine or he'll be the one passing out from a choke.

ahhhh...my FAVORITE escape! i would let them get the choke on (very dangerous though) and then stick my leg between his 2 legs and sit down really quick on my ass. this will trip him and send him back fast enough that when i fall he hits his head on the ground. this is great in a street fight on concrete because it will KO him!

One that I know of from a standing huillotine is this:

First lift your head up, this will help relieve some pressure, if you're in his left arm, use your left hand and wrap it around his right thigh, bring your right arm up behind or to the left of his head, then lift him enough that the guillotine is broken and then take him down and curl up into side mount. Do opposite for if you're in his right arm.

That's the advice I have, I don't know if it makes a lot of sense but I find it works about 3/5 times. Just try to lessen the pressure, corkscrew, all that stuff.

Dean Burley said:
ahhhh...my FAVORITE escape! i would let them get the choke on (very dangerous though) and then stick my leg between his 2 legs and sit down really quick on my ass. this will trip him and send him back fast enough that when i fall he hits his head on the ground. this is great in a street fight on concrete because it will KO him!

nice, i'll have to try that the next time I'm in a standing guilotine.

Rip Van Winkle said:
nice, i'll have to try that the next time I'm in a standing guilotine.
it actually works really well. even if your partner knows it's coming it's still hard to block

Easiest standing guillotine escape that I know is as follows.

Let's say he has you with a standing guillotine on his right side. You then proceed to:

1) Grab his wrist to protect yourself from the choke with your left hand.
2) Circle your right arm over and onto his right shoulder.
3) Proceed to place him in a headlock yourself.
4) Posture up and crank his head (at this angle, it turns into a painful neck crank).

He will have no leverage to finish the choke and will have to let go of his hold in order to defend your neck crank.

1) Grab his wrist to protect yourself from the choke with your left hand.
2) Circle your right arm over and onto his right shoulder (right arm over his letf shoulder).
3) place your knees on top of his knees
4) jump a little everytime he pulls your head placing all your weight on his knees, releasing the pressure
5) stay like that until he gets tired or makes a mistake

it's not the best way, it's just one of the ways to do it...

Back