Putting some money on Mickey Gall

I partially agree with you, but let's not needlessly over-exaggerate. The performance against Sanchez absolutely meant something.

To begin with, we've seen guys in very compromised states fight reasonably close to their full potential or even look impressive in victory. Gall's performance against Salim Touhri was marginally better than what he showed against Sanchez, but not by that much. This was not a radically different fighter or anything. Just someone with marginally better cardio and a little more strength in the grappling.

Secondly, a fighter having his kidneys shut down from a weight cut is absolutely pertinent information for the future. It either means he is an idiot who doesn't know how to weight cut properly or his body can't withstand the rigors of doing so.

Neither of these can be dismissed, and both are a bad sign for future matches.

If you read the article, he said it was sort of a "perfect storm" of things that led to his condition.

If they keep you in the hospital for 8 days, you're talking about more than "very compromised". You're body is in serious trouble.

I think way more can be taken from that fight with Touhri and is much closer to what Gall actually is. You can say "marginally" but it was the difference between being a corpse that was just able to lay there and be punched by the ghost of Diego Sanchez, and a guy that could win a fight vs a lower tier UFC guy.

Your last point is valid for sure. I would say if we see anything even resembling that again, it's a HUGE red flag about all the things you mentioned. One time though, that could be an abberation.

If you read the article, he said it was sort of a "perfect storm" of things that led to his condition.

Of course he was. What else was he going to say? "I was lazy, waited too long to begin cutting, and then fucked up my kidneys in the process" or "My body can no longer easily handle weight cuts"?

mkess101 said:
If they keep you in the hospital for 8 days, you're talking about more than "very compromised". You're body is in serious trouble.

Khabib was in the hospital right befor the McGregor match having seizures. Going more old-school, Pat Miletich was in the emergency room getting IV fluids to rescucitate him mere hours before he stepped in and destroyed Shonie Carter.

I think way more can be taken from that fight with Touhri and is much closer to what Gall actually is. You can say "marginally" but it was the difference between being a corpse that was just able to lay there and be punched by the ghost of Diego Sanchez, and a guy that could win a fight vs a lower tier UFC guy.

You're not giving Diego enough credit there. The Diego who beat Gall was still with Jackson-Wink and vastly better than the desicated, brainwashed, cult member he was against Perreira. He might well have beaten the Gall that barely, barely defeated Salim Touahri.

Of course he was. What else was he going to say? "I was lazy, waited too long to begin cutting, and then fucked up my kidneys in the process" or "My body can no longer easily handle weight cuts"?

Khabib was in the hospital right befor the McGregor match having seizures. Going more old-school, Pat Miletich was in the emergency room getting IV fluids to rescucitate him mere hours before he stepped in and destroyed Shonie Carter.

You're not giving Diego enough credit there. The Diego who beat Gall was still with Jackson-Wink and vastly better than the desicated, brainwashed, cult member he was against Perreira. He might well have beaten the Gall that barely, barely defeated Salim Touahri.

Khabib was in the hospital for hours. There is a WORLD of difference between that and them holding you for EIGHT DAYS. It's not even comparable, and I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

Diego looked solid, and honestly has always been a vastly underrated grappler. Not sure he beats the version of Gall, that fought Touhari, but I'm not sure he doesn't either. Gall's bread and butter is grappling obviously, and it's one thing Diego can still do. I don't disagree that matchup isn't easy for any version of Gall.

I don't know how good Gall is or even how good he's capable of being. He has glaring flaws obviously. My point was simply that choosing the one fight where he was a walking corpse as the one to focus on is foolish when assessing him.

I don't know how good Gall is or even how good he's capable of being. He has glaring flaws obviously. My point was simply that choosing the one fight where he was a walking corpse as the one to focus on is foolish when assessing him.

Right, but it's still an important data point, not something "that means almost nothing".

One should never ignore a fight that occurred only a little more than a year ago, especially for a fighter in his late 20s with some level of experience, even if there were unusual circumstances surrounding it.

Right, but it's still an important data point, not something "that means almost nothing".

One should never ignore a fight that occurred only a little more than a year ago, especially for a fighter in his late 20s with some level of experience, even if there were unusual circumstances surrounding it.

I guess it's semantics a bit. I think it carries MUCH less weight than other fights of his. His most recent fight of course, but even his loss vs Brown or win over Northcutt mean more imo. Completely dismissing the Sanchez data point is wrong so maybe I used wording that was too strong, but the circumstances were SO unusual with just how bad his health was that it makes that data point much less consequential than the others.

Anyone else think it is a good idea at +235....If Perry doesn't knock him out i could see Gall winning this fight especially given the bizarre behavior from Perry lately.

Also any other good bets you see for this fight card?
50/50. If he can get him down he can win, otherwise might get ko'd. Presume gall has improved

Back