• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Push to end “nice racism”

interesting take. I think she wants to nail white people for their racism but wouldn’t dare call out a black person for the same thing. She wants two different playing fields

Maybe but that didn't come across in the actual content of the video.

Depending on what she means by it, I can see it. The "nice" racism of pandering due to low expectations. Like "Voter ID is racist, because Black people can't figure out how to get one" type of well intention'd racism.

so Democrats then. Republicans are overtly racist because any attempt to require an id for voting is suppression. Voting is a right. I have grappled with requiring an id along similar lines to the second amendment requiring a license to exercise the right. But ultimately, you have to show id to buy a gun and go through a background check, so registering people to vote automatically is basically giving everyone a gun if they want it or not by the same line of thought

Maybe but that didn't come across in the actual content of the video.

I think in the second video I posted it is more clear along those lines. I absolutely believe that she thinks that white people should be deferent to black people to avoid exercising white privilege which in her own words is nice racism

“The white liberal is the worst enemy to America, and the worst enemy to the black man... The worst enemy that the Negro have is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros, and calling himself a liberal, and it is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have. If the Negro wasn’t taken, tricked, or deceived by the white liberal then Negros would get together and solve our own problems. I only cite these things to show you that in America the history of the white liberal has been nothing but a series of trickery designed to make Negros think that the white liberal was going to solve our problems. Our problems will never be solved by the white man. The only way that our problem will be solved is when the black man wakes up, clean himself up, stand on his own feet and stop begging the white man, and take immediate steps to do for ourselves the things that we have been waiting on the white man to do for us. Once we do for self then we will be able to solve our own problems’ "The white conservatives aren't friends of the Negro either, but they at least don't try to hide it. They are like wolves; they show their teeth in a snarl that keeps the Negro always aware of where he stands with them. But the white liberals are foxes, who also show their teeth to the Negro but pretend that they are smiling. The white liberals are more dangerous than the conservatives; they lure the Negro, and as the Negro runs from the growling wolf, he flees into the open jaws of the "smiling" fox. One is the wolf, the other is a fox. No matter what, they’ll both eat you.”
-Malcom X

I referenced this quote in another response

Really? So trying to be super nice to a person because they are black is worse than driving by and screaming the n word at someone?

kind of.

i mean, i think it's all the same shit. racism is racism, whether it's kkk bullshit or affirmative action or elizabeth warren or "all white people are racist" or etc. it's all crap.

preferential treatment due to race is racist bullshit, whether it's some cliche 1950's whiteville or modern day college campuses. and it's arguably worse, due to the ridiculous issues it created, ie: today's entitlement nonsense and the lack of personal responsibility that's being actively encouraged (it's not their fault, they were forced to a life of crime because of their skin color! it's not their fault, cops are racist! reperations, etc)

imo, coddling people so they believe that they're entitled to "free money" and riot/loot/arson whenever a knife wielding lunatic gets shot by cops is far worse than some dumbass saying a slur.

She's the worst of the worst. She has a PHD in white guilt. She thinks she is doing good. She isnt.

I think she is harming race relations. By pushing white people to talk about racism all the time does she not realize that this will cause her own form of nice racism by asking every black person to have that “difficult conversation” with them?

Nice racism = "aversive racism".

Aversive racism is a form of contemporary racism that manifests at the individual level. Compared to the traditional form of racism, aversive racism operates, often unconsciously, in subtle and indirect ways. People whose behavior is characterized by aversive racism (aversive racists) sympathize with victims of past injustice, support the principle of racial equality, and regard themselves as nonprejudiced, but at the same time they possess negative feelings and beliefs about blacks or other groups. It is hypothesized that aversive racism characterizes the racial attitudes of many well-educated and liberal whites in the United States, as well the attitudes of members of dominant groups toward minority groups in other countries with strong contemporary egalitarian values but discriminatory histories or policies. Despite its subtle expression, the consequences of aversive racism are as significant and pernicious as those of the traditional, overt form (e.g., the restriction of economic opportunity).

https://www.encyclopedia.com/social...almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/aversive-racism

kind of.

i mean, i think it's all the same shit. racism is racism, whether it's kkk bullshit or affirmative action or elizabeth warren or "all white people are racist" or etc. it's all crap.

preferential treatment due to race is racist bullshit, whether it's some cliche 1950's whiteville or modern day college campuses. and it's arguably worse, due to the ridiculous issues it created, ie: today's entitlement nonsense and the lack of personal responsibility that's being actively encouraged (it's not their fault, they were forced to a life of crime because of their skin color! it's not their fault, cops are racist! reperations, etc)

I would say it’s all akin to using your jacket to cover a puddle for a woman because she is a woman. She didn’t ask for that, sure some may appreciate it and some will be uncomfortable with the gesture. But I think the intentions are a huge factor. One sets out to try and heal
And the other tries to destroy

Nice racism = "aversive racism".

Aversive racism is a form of contemporary racism that manifests at the individual level. Compared to the traditional form of racism, aversive racism operates, often unconsciously, in subtle and indirect ways. People whose behavior is characterized by aversive racism (aversive racists) sympathize with victims of past injustice, support the principle of racial equality, and regard themselves as nonprejudiced, but at the same time they possess negative feelings and beliefs about blacks or other groups. It is hypothesized that aversive racism characterizes the racial attitudes of many well-educated and liberal whites in the United States, as well the attitudes of members of dominant groups toward minority groups in other countries with strong contemporary egalitarian values but discriminatory histories or policies. Despite its subtle expression, the consequences of aversive racism are as significant and pernicious as those of the traditional, overt form (e.g., the restriction of economic opportunity).

https://www.encyclopedia.com/social...almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/aversive-racism

Ok. I can see how being overly deferent is pandering or treating people differently because of their race. Some want it, many do not. I will continue to treat people the same and if someone has issue with that, it’s their issue not mine

It is awkward when a white person says dumb shit, white people usually have some weird complexes though.

It looks like robin deangelo has done it again. In her new book, she tackles “nice racism” which she argues is even more harmful than overt racism. She claims that nice racism may be accidental but the racial bias has longer impacting issues.

Really? So trying to be super nice to a person because they are black is worse than driving by and screaming the n word at someone? This bitch is seriously unhinged-yet people, especially corporations and academia, listen to her.

Here is her example that she opens the book with. She had zero black friends when she was in her thirties and met a couple for dinner where she proceeded to tell all these stories where her family said racist things and she thought it was so wrong. She was so desperate to show she wasn’t racist that she committed the crime of nice racism and caused more harm than if she had been purposefully racist.

This may seem shocking to someone with your background... But maybe the best strategy is to place zero focus on a person's race - either positive or negative - and just deal with each person we meet as a human being and an individual.

I would say it’s all akin to using your jacket to cover a puddle for a woman because she is a woman. She didn’t ask for that, sure some may appreciate it and some will be uncomfortable with the gesture. But I think the intentions are a huge factor. One sets out to try and heal
And the other tries to destroy

i guess. i don't think women now typically expect men to strip down to cover up puddles for them.

among college campuses, it's pretty typical to believe that people deserve something for nothing - including free tuition, because they apparently shouldn't be responsible for their own finances.

so i think your example blows your argument apart.

This may seem shocking to someone with your background... But maybe the best strategy is to place zero focus on a person's race - either positive or negative - and just deal with each person we meet as a human being and an individual.

this is the first time i recall a post of yours that i agree with.

<TheWire1>

It's just a business. A career. If these people lose the race baiting industry, they'll go hungry.

I've been told in person that I am able to have this strategy.... because of my privilege. So I am able to judge character and avoid judging race... because I'm a white male.

That's gold, Jerry!

i guess. i don't think women now typically expect men to strip down to cover up puddles for them.

among college campuses, it's pretty typical to believe that people deserve something for nothing - including free tuition, because they apparently shouldn't be responsible for their own finances.

so i think your example blows your argument apart.

this is the first time i recall a post of yours that i agree with.

<TheWire1>

it was an example and obviously, I disagree

To end "racism" one must change their perspective and interpretation of what others refer to as racism and change how one chooses to be affected by it... Stop being the victim, you're a victim of yourself, nobody else...

that is exactly my policy in dealing with people and I resent being told to treat someone different because of whatever group they belong to. In real life, I am kind to everyone and very polite.

Back