Push/Pull

Cardio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Should Push and Pull exercises be combined on the same day, or is it better to work all Push on one day and all Pull on the other.

For example, is it better to work Biceps and Triceps (like curls and tricep extensions) on the same day or on different day. The same question applies to quads/hamstrings, abs/lowerback and any other combo.

I thought about dedicating one day to all push and all pull and want to know if it's a good idea.

You dont have any clue about what push/pull means, do you? Nonetheless, your on to something.

If Im right, go read the stickies.

Pull is the opposite of lifts that where you extend out, such as chinups, hamstring curls, seated rows, etc.

A push/pull routine usually means doing presses one day, and doing compound movements e.g. bench, overheadpress. The same goes for pull, compound movements. deadlift, rows, pullups/chinups. And also a squat day, where you simply squat. And on top of that, assistant exercises.

So a push/pull dont usually mean isolated movement. Start with the big exercises,then go for assistant exercises (which can include isolated movement)

So arms are trained by doing compound movements. The triceps get a workout by ohp and so forth. at the end of the pressday, you can toss in a couple of triceps exercises if you feel the need. The same goes for biceps after pulling.

Take a look at the training logs subforum for push/pull ideas.

Also, go to Urban's webpage (I think you can find it in the stickies) cause he goes into super good detail on push/pull days.

So all pull movements are movements that start at the end of your range of motion, and end at the begining, and push movements are movements that start at the beginning of your range of motion, and stop at the end?

So pull movements are upright rows, bent over rows, deadlifts, and other movements like that?

And push movements are bench press, overhead press, behind the back tricep extensions, and other movements like that?

Sorry, I am the equivelent of a Nov 2005 member on the TUF forum when it somes to lifting. Also for those who know, what does clean and powerclean and clean and jerk go under? I know you are supposed to do something like having a Pull day, then a Push day, then a Squat day. Which do these exercises go under?

A special guest appearance by Urban would be nice...

Cardio said:
Should Push and Pull exercises be combined on the same day, or is it better to work all Push on one day and all Pull on the other.

For example, is it better to work Biceps and Triceps (like curls and tricep extensions) on the same day or on different day. The same question applies to quads/hamstrings, abs/lowerback and any other combo.

I thought about dedicating one day to all push and all pull and want to know if it's a good idea.

What other (sports) training are you doing? What are your goals? The benefits of this sort of training depend mostly on the frequency and volume of your workouts. If you have time to lift three or four times a week, then a push/pull/squat or westside style split would probably be better, as you can get sufficient volume on the appropriate days with plenty of time to recover in the interval. Recently I've been training five times a week and rarely have time to lift more than twice a week. I do full body days and generally alternate between pushing and pulling exercises on the same plane. For instace, I might follow benching with bent over rows, or ohp with pullups. You should check out some of Chad Waterbury's articles on t-nation if you are interested.

If you have the time, do a squat day, push day and pull day. The above suggestions to visit Urban's webpage are good too.

It depens on you. I don't think there is a "better" way.
If you do upper body 3 times a week, you will combine everything. If you do 4-6 times a week you may want to do push one day and pull another.

Back