Punching with Passion

Iggy

White Belt
Reaction score
I am not a big man, my drivers license says I am 5' 8" and on my current Chinese diet I think I weigh about 121 lbs., clearly I have the other kind of weight problem. There is one fellow at working out at my gym who is even smaller than I am. I don't know his exact measurements but suffice to say he is little. The thing is he is capable of punching far above his weight, and I think the fact that when he punches, he does so as if the focus mitt just donkey punched his mom has something to do with it. When I throw strikes, I try to imitate Fedor and just chillax. When he hits, his punches are like two of mine but when he misses he is off by miles. Long story short, I land more good punches by far but when he connects it is something to feel.

How many people here strike like they mean it as opposed to just striving for good mechanics and hoping that the power issue takes care of itself? Does anyone here think that the added emotion adds anything to their fighting?

An angry punch definitely carries more power, but less accuracy. Fedor is deceptive, he doesn't show his emotions, that doesn't mean he doesn't have any though... :wink:

Add a proper warcry to your angry punch and you have the maximum power possible.

I vary it up a lot. I am always looking for a chance to sneak in a monster cross but usually throw lighter to conserve energy and avoid getting off balanced.

Fighting with emotions like that drains you rapid I m sure every one who has been in a ring will agree. work on your techniques when sparring, i always finish of the last couple of rounds on the bags just bombing like crazy

Of course I know that deep down inside Fedor has feelings! I'm not trying to paint him as a robot. However, it is fascinating to watch the different emotional content that seems to flavor the fighting output of people that you train with. I train Sanda, at my gym there are three serious competitive fighters. One fellow, kind of a jacked ectomorph, seems like the guy you would most want on your crew if you were building a house. Once he starts doing something he doesn't let off until he's finished.
No apparent emotion. Another guy, a big fat one, is the most fighterly of the three as opposed to his more workmanlike friend. He punches angry, but he is crafty too. The rational mind stays in the driver's seat and emotion stays under the surface. Apparently these guys all stepped off of a wallchart illustrating Sheldon's theory of the three body types, I swear that I am not making this up; the third fighter is the one with the most obviously athletic appearance of the three and he is most apt to treat it all as a game. He would be, I imagine, difficult to coach as he can be quite lacksadaisical about those aspects of training that he doesn't find fun however he is capable when he chooses to be of intensity that is impressive to behold. He is also the current provincial champ in Liaoning.

Obviously there are no formulas, fatties aren't going to approach fighting one way because they are fat and skinnies another because they are skinny. Adopting a playful attitude towards training will not make you a champion because that attitude is any more correct than other attitudes. Still, learning to fight gives one ample opportunities for insights into the ways that other people think and feel. I can't help but be fascinated.

Been my experience that the guy who lands more punches usually wins. Call me funny like that, but that's my observation.

I've always emulated Evander Holyfield. Not the biggest man in the world, not the hardest hitting. But he could counter punch you to death!

Wear you down, punch you 3, 4, 5 times for every one power shot you land. THen takes you out when youre gassed.

It always good to have a plan to break them down and aim for a finish but all the time looking for the chance to land a big one..but some times it's good to go toe-toe macho style.

"When i didn't know anything, a punch was just a punch and a kick was just a kick; when i began studying martial arts, a punch was more than a punch and a kick was more than a kick; when i mastered the martial arts, a punch was just a punch and a kick was just a kick." - Bruce Lee

When you don't know anything, you rely on pure emotion. Hell or high water, you're going to do whatever you have to, to land that strike!

When you begin to study martial arts, you learn proper technique. You now have to think about what you are doing which makes you very slow and methodical.

When you mastered the martial arts, you let go of all the technique. You are no longer in your head and go back to...Hell or high water, you're going to do whatever you have to, to land that strike!

This is what Bruce Lee referred to as "honest self-expression", which is the highest form of art.

One thing I hear alot is that rather than try and hit the opponont you should try and hit through them.

One thing I hear alot is that rather than try and hit the opponont you should try and hit through them.

True...it falls under the adage that you should not punch where your opponent is at but rather, where he will be.

Throw with as much power as you can WITHOUT coming off balance. In amateur fighting its pretty much who ever lands the most shots wins. So, you're doing superior to this other guy.

Been my experience that the guy who lands more punches usually wins. Call me funny like that, but that's my observation.

That's funny at all. The more you punch, the better chance of you winning. That's why guys like Williams, Margarito, Juan Diaz are so hard to fight. Because they throw throw throw and keep throwing. Better workrate doesnt automatically = win, but it definitely is a factor. If you see guys with incredible workrates lose, its because their opponents either outworked them(Campbell vs Diaz, Margarito vs Williams), or shut down their workrate somehow (Williams vs Quintana).

Does your friend who puts everything into every punch gas after 2 rounds of hitting mitts?

Hitting with extreme power does make you gas quickly, I try to find a good mix of power and technique until I see an opening in my opponent then attack with everything I have.

Back