Punching, what kind of lifting

JaKob

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Im a kyokushin karate practitioner... What kind of lifting should i be doing to lets say assist the strength of a straight right punch, i have my technique sorted... Usually i wouldn't need to know this, but i have a Mixed style standup tourney in december.... punching to the head will be legal.

dips, overhead press, deads, torso machine shit...and if you have cables do a punching motion with enough weight where you can only do like 10-12 each arm. I saw wandy doing it in a training vid, looks pretty good.

Bench press?

Yeah, I imagine some know-nothings with flame me for this, but the fact is, your chest and triceps have something to do with throwing your arm out there.

Yeah, madmick is right. Obviously the power of a punch is generated by the rotation of the hips and torso, but yeah, having a strong upper body helps.

Do I throw a straight right harder after putting 90lbs on my bench? yes.

Neider Press, squat and press, dumbell snatch, dumbell C&J. I've seen great results by focusing on such lifts that work on explosion from the ground up.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Work your wrists as well, this is sometimes neglected but a strong wrist will give an even great transfer of force because your lower arms stays as one unit. Plus, if you ever land a punch "wrong" a strong wrist will prevent injuries.

I prefer plate wrist curls, levering and barbell wrist curls!

The best way to increase punching power is through as many hours as you can dedicate to working the heavy bag and doing press-ups.

Good ab work.

Such as cable woodchops.

I think Killers suggestion plus bench presses would be good. Remember, even if the shoulders, chest and tri's dont power the bench, the muscular stiffness would allow a greater transfer of power from the legs/hips to the opponent.

Example

Whip someone with a rope, now hit them with a bat. What hit them harder. The bat. Why? Stiffness. Without strong muscles to support the impact the power gets lost.

After a solid strength base you could work towards a power program emphasizing Drop/Deceleration Push ups to develop even more stiffness through the supportive structures.

I think Martin Rooneys book would be of great help here. His basic split is Lower/ Upper/ Conditioning/ Conditioning

Start with strength work on the lower and upper days and cycle with power work for both (DE bench/Squat/Clean/Plyos, etc...)

Do some plyometrics for a quick boost in power. Ballistic bench throws, explosive clap push ups. Depth drop pushups. Medicine ball chest throws.

All great ideas. You need to get some Kettlebells and clubbells by far..

Madmick said:
Bench press?

Yeah, I imagine some know-nothings with flame me for this, but the fact is, your chest and triceps have something to do with throwing your arm out there.

Are you kidding me dude? Tank Abbott punches like a Crane because of his awesome technique. Not because of power in his shoulders.

I would say that the speed bench presses (like on Dynamic Bench Day Westside style) are the best for developing hiting power. Of course you need your maximal strength, too.

CrazyAZNRedneck said:
Are you kidding me dude? Tank Abbott punches like a Crane because of his awesome technique. Not because of power in his shoulders.

Tank Abbot is one big dude..

With yomons idea in mind, perhaps that's why Urban likes deadlifts for improving his punching

First, for 90% of the people form will increase punching power more than any lifting. There is A LOT of technique in punching. Huge legs and abs/obliques will not assist you if you do not know how to segmentally rotate your body to get the most out of those muscles.

Second I would build a strong core first. Then legs, then upper body then forearms/wrists. Since this is basically your whole body, just weight train and forget about it.

Third, why is everyone so focused on punching power? Its like big biceps and just showy. You can get very far learning how to slip, move your head and jab fast. I would rather double my jab speed than double the power of my right hand.

Back