Punching sand bags

Advantages: better sandbag punching ability
disadvantages: long term, unavoidable, serious damage done to your hands.

Urban said:
Advantages: better sandbag punching ability
disadvantages: long term, unavoidable, serious damage done to your hands.

I'm gonna have to go to my room and weigh this one out.

I fucking hate sandbags.

You will destroy your hands. Get a punch bag, use the sand bag for some lifting.

And if you're going to punch anything get yourself some hand wraps and learn to use them, preferably also use some bag gloves. Believe me you do not want to wreck the tendons in your wrist, it is not fun.

you might be ok for a few weeks, but you're going to slowly cause little breaks in the bones of your hands and forearms. I know guys who punch sandbags because they read in some book about the Muay Tai guys nailing banana trees, so they want something hard to punch thinking it will do the same thing. What they don't realize is that a banana tress is almost like rubber...it has lots of give. Hitting a heavy bag is pretty darned close to hitting a banana tree.

Interesting note, bannana trees are in fact NOT trees. Their "trunk" is really just tightly wound leaves. anyone who's seen one in real life will verify it for you. Banana "tree" trunks, while not the most forgiving surface on the planet, are pretty soft for "trees."

I occasionally soccer kick my sandbag after watching wandy fight...and an occalsional roundhouse low kick on the way to the bathroom (especially after watching the tank vs Rizzo fight)...i love my sandbag although at the point where getting in position to squat is harder than the squat itsel but if i can't make it to the gym lunges and sandbag beats sissy squats...as stated many times before something is better than nothing and over the long run that something turns out to be pretty f-cking decent.

I guess it all depends on the size of this punching sandbag you are thinking of making. If it was a small one to work on agility drills, than by all means go for it. Again, I am no doctor, but i can't see how this would damage your wrists. If anyone thinks I am wrong please feel free to tell me why so I can learn too. Thanks guys.

Back