"Pump sets"

graedy

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Watched "Swedish Power" from Magnus Samuelson yesterday. Nothing really new to learn from this but fun to watch. But there was one thing, that really suprised me. When benchpressing, Magnus said something like: " We are starting out with some light pump sets and work our way up to a heavy double."
So he repped out a "light" weight by never going to lock out and going up and down pretty fast. I only knew this "technique" from Ronnie Coleman who does it on many exercises (BP, FS etc.). I always thought, that it is a bodybuilding technique (your muscle is under permanent tension) and has no value for strengthtraining. But M. Samuelson is a Strongman. His doubles and triples he did with a full lockout. So, any idead why he did this? And is it a good way to work out for non-Bodybuilders seeking for some specific hypertrophy?

one to strain the muscles, the other strain the tendons.

question though, does anyone know exactly where he tore either of his biceps?

I would imagine he did it just to warm up, that's what common sense tells me. BTW, have you seen Marius Pudzianowski's "Dominator" Documentary?

Ditching high rep warm ups was one of the best things I ever did.

I'm in no position to argue with Magnus though.

If they are really light I think they would be alright just to warm up.

Magnus is a monster.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
I would imagine he did it just to warm up, that's what common sense tells me. BTW, have you seen Marius Pudzianowski's "Dominator" Documentary?

No. Sounds interesting. My girlfriend always shook head when she saw those vids "How can you watch another person work out for hours?" But i always try to find new ideas. And where is the best place to look for new ideas than at the best of the best?

hughes said:
Ditching high rep warm ups was one of the best things I ever did.

Same. I'll still occasionally do it for squats though, especially in winter...

I also agree that high rep warm-ups are generally no good.

However, it really doesn't matter how you perform your warm-up sets. I often do a warm-up set on the bench totally gymrat style, flat backed, elbows out, touching high etc. because I feel like I get a good pec/shoulder stretch out of it (exactly why I WOULDN'T want to bench heavy that way!).

so how should you warm up properly before a work set? For example, Im trying to do 5 x 5 right now, how should i warm up before the work? Also, where is a good place i can find bench press technique? apparently there is much, much more to this than i gave it credit.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
so how should you warm up properly before a work set? For example, Im trying to do 5 x 5 right now, how should i warm up before the work? Also, where is a good place i can find bench press technique? apparently there is much, much more to this than i gave it credit.
To warm up I do some shadowboxing, dynamic stretches and then a light set of ten.

As for technique:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808

Dominic Kihlstrand said:

baring what was said about the shadow boxing and light 10 set, there are some schools of thought that the first 2 sets of a 5*5 are counted as a warm up

The Gubbinz said:
I'd like to have strong steel-like tendons. How do I do?

Actually the human tendon already is stronger than steel ounce for ounce believe it or not.

What kind of weight was Magnus using on this pump set though? I don't like pump sets either but if I see some guy doing a pump set with 300 or 400 lbs. I'll let it slide.

At least :) He worked up to a double (or was it a triple?) with 260 kg

I am of the school of thought that 2 of the 5X5 sets are warm-ups.

With warm-ups, I work with bands to stretch and heat up in general really quick, then I usually do whatever rep scheme I am working as a warm-up. However, in the later part of my warm-ups, I am partial to taking singles with the heavier weights.

The key thing with warming up for lifting is it's just that: warming up. You don't want to exhaust yourself warming up.

For a PL meet example, when I head back to warm up for deadlifts (the last lift of the event, which means you're already warm as fuck) I usually pull like 2-3 singles and call it good. You have other guys who start at a ten rep set and pyramid down to a kind of hard 3 rep set, and end up getting a whole fucking workout in while they're trying to get "warmed up".

So with 5 x 5, its 2 warm up sets and 3 work sets? or 2 warm up sets and 5 work sets? Also, would you warm up with a set of 5 x 5? do 5 reps with a lighter weight than your work? Or do a higher number of reps with a really light weight? I understand now that you a warmup is just that, not the workout. Thanks for your guys' help.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
So with 5 x 5, its 2 warm up sets and 3 work sets? or 2 warm up sets and 5 work sets? Also, would you warm up with a set of 5 x 5? do 5 reps with a lighter weight than your work? Or do a higher number of reps with a really light weight? I understand now that you a warmup is just that, not the workout. Thanks for your guys' help.
2 warm up sets and 3 work sets.

Back