Pulling off the Brazilian kick

ambertch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I am going to set aside some time everyday to train a lead leg variation of the brazilian kick, because Mr. Brazilian Kick Glaube Feitosa inspires me haha YouTube - Brazilian Kick Highlight and also because I don't see many MT guys throw this kick.

I'm asking people who have been able to pull off this move in actual competition, or during heavy sparring. The reason I made the caveat of heavy sparring is because there's a guy in my gym who in light sparring catches EVERYONE with these lightning fast TKD combos (that I recognize from my TKD competition days), but he's never been able to land them convincingly when we spar heavier at like 80%. So I don't want to be doing kicks that seem to catch people when we're screwing around in the gym, but aren't going to help me down the line if/when I compete.

I have a few questions:

- I'm 155lbs: for you guys that are light like me, will I have stopping power behind this kick? Feitosa is a HW so I am guessing his huge leg is a reason why he is KO'ing people with a front brazilian kick.
- How did you train accuracy with this kick to be able to pull it off?
- What are some general comments you have with regards to when to do it, combos you like with it, how to fool your partner/opponent, etc.?

Thanks!

I have a few questions:

- I'm 155lbs: for you guys that are light like me, will I have stopping power behind this kick? Feitosa is a HW so I am guessing his huge leg is a reason why he is KO'ing people with a front brazilian kick.
- How did you train accuracy with this kick to be able to pull it off?
- What are some general comments you have with regards to when to do it, combos you like with it, how to fool your partner/opponent, etc.?

Thanks!

Brazilian kick is awesome. However I have been more successful using it as a rear leg vs lead leg kick, since most my rear leg kicks are to the body or legs. I also use a rear leg teep kick quite a bit, making it easier to set up the brazilian kick. It always feels real akward off my lead leg....... and not nearly as powerful.

I weigh about 180 and can throw the kick pretty hard. I have landed it clean before during semi heavy sparring, with head gear, and it was pretty effective. I imagine if you caught someone right it would at the very least daze them and let you finish the job.

To train it I started on a heavy bag just to get the motion down. Then once I was comfortable I worked with a training partner wearing a belly pad and holding a TKD type kick pad (the paddle type). I tried to learn to gauge the distance so it would be similar to a where I stood for a good teep or roundhouse.

To fool opponent. My favorite way to use it as I mentioned is off the rear leg. I will throw a couple of rear leg teeps in the gut, then every once in a while toss up the brazilian kick. I have used it off the lead leg as well, usually a couple quick teeps to the midsection, then the braz kick. The kick is far more effective when my opponent is moving backwards or is stationary. If you are fighting a guy who steps into your teeps and comes forward a lot. The kick is much tougher to pull off and a lot riskier. My opinion.

Interesting kick. Looks like a roundhouse, but you point your knee down half-way thru? I havent actaully heard of a "brazilian kick" but I did experiment with a similar lead leg roundhouse in my TKD days and it looks very much like this. If it's actually effective, maybe I'll work on it!

Thanks for the video hl.

Interesting kick. Looks like a roundhouse, but you point your knee down half-way thru? I havent actaully heard of a "brazilian kick" but I did experiment with a similar lead leg roundhouse in my TKD days and it looks very much like this. If it's actually effective, maybe I'll work on it!

Thanks for the video hl.

Well, I guess "Brazilian kick" is just a nickname because there's a long ass Japanese name of the Kyokushin technique that no one can remember :) I'm not sure what you are speaking of but the TKD variant of the brazilian kick I did was a fake low-high roundhouse. That doesn't have nearly the power of the brazilian kick's hip turn though

I don't know about the name, looks like just a thai kick, but this is how you are supposed to kick(or the best way). Uprising kicks are bogus. This lets you put your full hip into your kicks and has the downward swing motion whick puts that much more impact into it. . Even if you block it, you are still taking good damage. Most people just don't wanna get flexible enough to do this though. That's why you have to stretch out your hip ligaments, not just your hamstrings.

Well, I guess "Brazilian kick" is just a nickname because there's a long ass Japanese name of the Kyokushin technique that no one can remember :) I'm not sure what you are speaking of but the TKD variant of the brazilian kick I did was a fake low-high roundhouse. That doesn't have nearly the power of the brazilian kick's hip turn though

No it's not the double round house I was trying to describe.... it's hard to describe, but bascially throw a rear leg roundhouse,as if to the head, but 3/4 the way up, turn your hips down and pull the kick down. I like this kick though -it has a nice 'delayed' effect to it.

The way to land this kick is off of a hopping rear leg. You have to have a wide and low stance (ala TKD tournament sparring) Throw the dummy kick as low front kick and pull it up into a chamber and over-rotate your body and throw the roundhouse as if your releasing a cocked sling-shot. I'm 200lbs and I have enough speed to catch people and it makes good impact just from the speed alone.

I've used this in sparring before and I found the best way to set it up is to repeatedly push kick your opponent, make it almost predictable, and when he attempts to catch, switch it up and hit him with the Brazilian kick. Another set up that works great is what Michael Wanaka uses (hope he can chime in on this thread) a few solid push kicks towards the ropes and then catch him with the Brazilian kick on the rebound.

That being said, it's a gimmicky "trick" just like the Superman punch, it's good to have in your arsenal to occassionaly surprize your opponent, but I wouldn't use it too frequently.

That is a low-high round house. Not sure where anyone comes off re-naming this kick. What are we doing to rename everything now? Brazilian punch (right cross), Brazilian liquid (water).... I am not sure it is meant to have knock-out power. Machida also used one against ortiz. Best defense is to wait on it and rush in as the kick is developing. I throw these a lot. You must sell the leg kick aspect. The guy on the demo is not really selling the bottom kick for muy thai. He is also absolutely dropping his guard after he hits the bag. He looks like Gene Ferreate of France who was an old Savate champ. Go to any point karate tourney and you will see a thousand of these kicks.

The great way to throw this is off the front kick. You have to sell the front kick to the body and draw his hands down. You rotate your hips and bring the leg up. These techniques could bother a stationary fighter. It you get predictable with a good counter puncher, you could take a nap.

The name is Kyokushin karate name is Otoshi Mawashi Geri I think

That is a low-high round house. Not sure where anyone comes off re-naming this kick. What are we doing to rename everything now? Brazilian punch (right cross), Brazilian liquid (water)....

Well it's called Brazilian kick because it was popularized by Brazilian Ademir Da Costa and his students who brought it to K-1, Francisco Filho and this guy Glaube Feitosa. Other than that I have no idea why it's called that :)

To KO someone you do not need a lot of power (force actually, because power is a wrong term) you need precision, a clean hit to the temple, neck or jaw plus the correct alignment of the foot/shin to the target coming at around 90

To KO someone you do not need a lot of power (force actually, because power is a wrong term) you need precision, a clean hit to the temple, neck or jaw plus the correct alignment of the foot/shin to the target coming at around 90

First off, I'd say listen to Kyryllo, the man knows kicking...

the Brazilian kick basically comes from a couple of fakes that most Kyokushin shodans can show you...basically press forward on somebody who's backing up, show them a front kick (i.e. camber the knee straight up )then throw a roundhouse...watch the hi-light vid around 1:13, it shows this very clearly...

most of us actually throw the thing lower... personally, I like to bring the kick down into the opponent's hip from above...Glaube and Fihlo can throw it higher and make it work...that's part of being called "Shihan" I guess...

we also do the same thing with the front kick, i.e. show a roundhouse and then throw a front kick...

oh, yeah, the other thing that makes the Brazilian Kick so painful, is that to make it work you need to get your gear waxed...:icon_chee

For practice: aim for a specific part on the heavy bag, and kick it! Make sure your kick comes down on impact. It's good to practice this kick on thai pads or focus pads.

For setup, I like to kick a guy really hard into the ropes with a front kick, then as he bounces off the ropes, throw the brazilian kick. 9 times out of 10 the guy will put his hands down expecting another hard front kick.

YouTube - michael wanaka vs Will sit chai sai march 29 2008

look at 1:05 and 1:50

YouTube - michael wanaka and chris kutz sparring

look at 1:17

This video shows the front kick into the ropes setup

YouTube - brazilian kick - michael wanaka

YouTube - brazilian kick 2

I hope this helps.

For setup, I like to kick a guy really hard into the ropes with a front kick, then as he bounces off the ropes, throw the brazilian kick. 9 times out of 10 the guy will put his hands down expecting another hard front kick.

Genius! I will definitely try this out the next time I spar in a ring - people always hate being hit by front push kicks :icon_twis

The name is Kyokushin karate name is Otoshi Mawashi Geri I think

Sorry, no.
The japanese name is "Tate kubi mawashi geri".
Sometimes it is shortened to "Tate kubi geri", or just "Tate geri".
Another commonly used name is "Maha geri", since one of the more influential karate fighters, Norichika Tsukamoto, calls it by that name.

Well it's called Brazilian kick because it was popularized by Brazilian Ademir Da Costa and his students who brought it to K-1, Francisco Filho and this guy Glaube Feitosa. Other than that I have no idea why it's called that :)

In all seriousness, I have been in striking martial arts for 30 years. When I was throwing it I did not say this is the USA kick. I just threw a kick that did a certain thing. I call it what it did. I did kicks that I never saw and felt I created but I refused to say I invented it. Doesn't anybody see this? I feel like I am taking crazy pills (Zoolander ref).

This may be new to some but it has been around. I don't know who uses it or care that much. We need to stop naming things after countries. THis kick was being done before the guys who are using it were born. I am done on this topic since you will not get it. This is mixed martial arts. Seems like the mixing is done. Constant evolution.

I hope it is nice tomorrow so I can go for a run. I hope the Brazilian ball of fire in the sky comes up so I can breath the Brazilian air as I run on Brazilian pavement. I HAVE NOTHING against Brazil. I am Portugese and it is a beautiful place with beautiful ladies. We need to call a kick a kick and not something else. An origonal Brazilian kick is anything from capoeira. Take those.

Back