Pulling off the Brazilian kick

In all seriousness, I have been in striking martial arts for 30 years. When I was throwing it I did not say this is the USA kick. I just threw a kick that did a certain thing. I call it what it did. I did kicks that I never saw and felt I created but I refused to say I invented it. Doesn't anybody see this? I feel like I am taking crazy pills (Zoolander ref).

This may be new to some but it has been around. I don't know who uses it or care that much. We need to stop naming things after countries. THis kick was being done before the guys who are using it were born. I am done on this topic since you will not get it. This is mixed martial arts. Seems like the mixing is done. Constant evolution.

I hope it is nice tomorrow so I can go for a run. I hope the Brazilian ball of fire in the sky comes up so I can breath the Brazilian air as I run on Brazilian pavement. I HAVE NOTHING against Brazil. I am Portugese and it is a beautiful place with beautiful ladies. We need to call a kick a kick and not something else. An origonal Brazilian kick is anything from capoeira. Take those.

"You say tomato, I say potato"

Who cares? Everyone here calls it the "Brazilian Kick" because it's just the common name for it on these boards, as long as you know what is meant by the name, the actual name itself shouldn't matter.

Most people call the roundhouse kick a "roundhouse kick", at my gym and across many gyms in Toronto, we call them "swing kicks", they called it a "power angle kick" on Human Weapon, they call it a "Mawashi Geri" in Japan, etc. At the end of the day, we're still talking about the same kick.

In all seriousness, I have been in striking martial arts for 30 years. When I was throwing it I did not say this is the USA kick. I just threw a kick that did a certain thing. I call it what it did. I did kicks that I never saw and felt I created but I refused to say I invented it. Doesn't anybody see this? I feel like I am taking crazy pills (Zoolander ref).

This may be new to some but it has been around. I don't know who uses it or care that much. We need to stop naming things after countries. THis kick was being done before the guys who are using it were born. I am done on this topic since you will not get it. This is mixed martial arts. Seems like the mixing is done. Constant evolution.

I hope it is nice tomorrow so I can go for a run. I hope the Brazilian ball of fire in the sky comes up so I can breath the Brazilian air as I run on Brazilian pavement. I HAVE NOTHING against Brazil. I am Portugese and it is a beautiful place with beautiful ladies. We need to call a kick a kick and not something else. An origonal Brazilian kick is anything from capoeira. Take those.

True, but remember the Kimura isn't really the Kimura either yet that's just what everyone ends up calling it in colloquialism right?

I'm pretty sure 20 years from now if MMA is an established, orthodox sport just like baseball, people will be calling this the "Brazilian Kick"

i fail to understand why are you so upset about this.

i saw glaube a few years ago on a k1 event go through carter, goodridge and one other using this kick VERY effectively. ever since, i practised this kick as often as possible and it becomes quite effective in sparring situations.

I understand that I am not always clean when writing. I was told that recently. My tone was supposed to have some aspect of humor (the running bit). It is more logical than it is emotional.

I understand that this kick is being effectively used by fighters from a Brazilian camp. We are a global community of martial arts practitioners. The Brazilian part of the name is unnecessary.

Brazilian JJ is different. There was a Japanese JJ and a BJJ . The Gracie family adapted it and extended it to the point where the style is systemically different. At that point it needed it's own identity.

However, it it is the same stuff that has been around, then there is no need to change the name. There is nothing new with that kick.

Just giving my opinion. That kick is risky to use in mma and kickboxing same goes for axe kicks, you will mostly get countered. Most importantly to use that kick you have to be a tall person or face someone whom is shorter than u and to have your opponent not move alot.

I understand that I am not always clean when writing. I was told that recently. My tone was supposed to have some aspect of humor (the running bit). It is more logical than it is emotional.

I understand that this kick is being effectively used by fighters from a Brazilian camp. We are a global community of martial arts practitioners. The Brazilian part of the name is unnecessary.

Brazilian JJ is different. There was a Japanese JJ and a BJJ . The Gracie family adapted it and extended it to the point where the style is systemically different. At that point it needed it's own identity.

However, it it is the same stuff that has been around, then there is no need to change the name. There is nothing new with that kick.
he's right about that:icon_arro

we does this religously. (shotokan karate)
i'm also a 155'er and i usually spar guys a little larger then me ( you know what it feels like to be the smallest guy, lol)

but i know that with my leading leg its not strong enough to KO but really fast.

With my rear leg it works best with KO power. the speed is great and the angle works great too.
i usually set this up with lots of front kicks and/or body round kicks.

looks almost like how bruce lee throws his "hook kick" which is what he would call a roundhouse kick i suppose.

although he didnt chamber it...

just brought it straight up at blazing speeds like a off centered groin check then cut and twisted 90 degrees into the mid section or thighs.

doing it off the front leg he would hop-slide his right leg to his lead leg almost like a pendulum and fire off his lead leg while his bodyweight was still going foward.

The thing with that kick is it does not need to land with a lot of momentum and power to hurt someone and possibly drop them and or KO them. It is more of a sneaky way to land a kick and a kick is still a kick meaning it is gonna have a lot of weight and thus power behind it simply because of the heavy weight in your leg and twisting of the hip, as opposed to a punch just not having as much mass and weight. Think of it like this , it is usually better to take one clean power punch to the head than get hit with half the power of a full power head kick.

Also for good or bad has been named the Brazilian Kick by the mainstream martial arts community because of numerous brazilians have taken a lot of names with that kick .
And in very recent times Glaube Feitosa has really done well in K1 with that being his main KO weapon.
Like someone else earlier stated the Kimura is just one name for a a common submission used by a lot of submission fighters world wide, but the name stuck and thats that.

Call the Kimura or The Brazilian kick what you will but the mainstream martial arts world has pretty much adopted the names.

As for setting it up , I will agree with throwing some push kicks to get them to try and parry and drop their hands and then once they are doing so throw the brazilian kick .
My brother in law worked the kick at his house for a few weeks and one day we were sparring and I fell for the exact setup: left push kick, left push kick, boom left brazilian on my fucking head. After that every time we spar I keep my hands up higher than normal and am more cautious of parrying his teeps.

Back