Pull Up Bars

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by m-tech, Mar 20, 2008.

1. m-tech

m-tech Orange Belt

I am going to buy a power rack soon and want one with a pull up bar at the top. Most seem to have a straight bar, but I have found one in my price range that has angled ends/hand grips. I assume this puts your wrist in a more natural position, but is this necessary, will I increase the chance any injuries using a straight bar? What are the pros and cons of each type?

Thanks

2. CosmicOsmo

CosmicOsmo Brown Belt

If you want to do wide grip pullups, the angled ends will help. For standard pullups and chins a straight bar is all you need.

3. takeahnase

takeahnase watching the swarm

Cons of angled: Can't do muscle ups very well - or at all, if they have a hammer grip end as well.

4. m-tech

m-tech Orange Belt

Muscle Ups won't be possible due to lack of head room. Can you still do wide grip pull ups on a straight bar? and is there any reason to do them with a wide grip?

5. vince89

vince89 Banned Banned

I prefer a straight bar. More options.

6. VicDienekes

VicDienekes Green Belt

I have an angled pullup bar on my squat rack. I like it, it's fine for regular, hammer and wide grip pullups.

7. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

I don't like angled bars, because at the top my wrist contures more than it would on a straight bar. I do like angled bars for behind the neck pullups, though.

8. blakethemus

blakethemus Blake Belt

My powercage has angled bars. I find I can do more wide grip pullups with a straight bar though.......not sure if this helps you at all.

So +1

9. bloodangel90

bloodangel90 Orange Belt

This is the rack I bought. Comes with pull-up and dip attachment and reasonable priced. 367$ total with shipping included.

http://bigfitness.com/powerrack.html

10. m-tech

m-tech Orange Belt

That looks like the one I am talking about. Are you happy with it?

11. Darkballs

Darkballs Black Belt

damn dude. just go to a serious sporting goods chain, shell out $15 for a mountable bar. try and get one with brackets that can screw into the wall. use a studfinder and make sure you place it somewhere sturdy. the one i bought was only like 12 dollars. i've had it for 2 years, it extends to like 8 feet across, so it can fit in most hallways, doorways, ect; and can handle like 500 lbs. i'd really recomend this option before you drop so much money on a rack.

12. bloodangel90

bloodangel90 Orange Belt

Yea it's a decent rack. If I were to change anything on it I would like it to be taller so I could do OHP's inside the rack. The price is hard to beat.

13. bloodangel90

bloodangel90 Orange Belt

I didnt buy a Squat rack so I could do pull-ups. I bought a Squat rack so I could do Squats. The dip and chin attachments were just a bonus.

14. vision1

vision1 Purple Belt

Is this a joke?

15. Darkballs

Darkballs Black Belt

sorry, didn't take the time to look at the pics and see that you were getting a squat rack for your purchase as well. my bad. i thought it was just one of those dip/pull up station contraptions, which made me wonder why you would pay so much for it. seeing how you are getting a squat rack too, then i withdraw my comments.

16. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Latex Salesman

Anybody ever just pick up another set of pins, high on the rack, and use a cheap or old Oly bar for chins?

17. ChaseT.

ChaseT. Banned Banned

That makes them pretty tough. The bar will roll out of your hands.

18. Amar

Amar Feelin' Froggy? Leap

I had the same exact problem. What I did was put a piece of shit bar that weighed like 15-20 lbs and layed it on top of of my power rack and using the straps that came with the sled I never use to tether it down to top of the powerrack.

So essentially it's just a piece of shit 15 lb bar that sits tethered to the top of my power rack, and it works well. I weigh 155-160 and have added up to 100 lbs of weight to myself and the bar held me just fine.