PS4 RPGs Recs (maybe throw backs)

N

NewGuardBjj

I played FF 7,8, and 10. These are the only RPGs I've ever played and I am looking to have a similar experience in a new game. I appreciate open worlds, mysterious side stories, diverse characters, and interesting and challenging bosses.

When I was a kid, I watched my older brother play Lunar Eternal Blue. I thought it was the most amazing thing Earth had produced. What I liked most was that with each phase of the game there was a boss/puppet master that cast a shadow over the story.

My fear is that games like Dragon Age, The Witcher, and Fallout have moved on from this.

Youl'll recieve only a few recommendations of PS4 RPGs.

But if you have a semi-decent PC, your options have greatly been expanded through Steam.

The Dark Souls series (including Bloodborne) are probably the best games I've ever played. They're RPG's and you're OP describes them perfectly... but they're not everyone's cup of tea.

If you've never played them before, start with Bloodborne, IMO.

There are a handful on the PS4 that fit that. Final Fantasy XV, Tales of Zesteria and Star Ocean 5 are your typical JRPG with a real time battle system.

If your looking for turn based RPG, World of Final Fantasy is probably the only quality game out for now.

Persona 5 comes out in April and I'm fucking pumped to play it. Final Fantasy games are probably my most beloved series, but Persona is an amazing RPG series. Persona 3 and 4 were fantastic and I've been drooling to play P5.

Divinity: Original Sin. The combat is outstanding and one of the most creative and best rpg battle systems out now. It's turn based and offers a lot of creativity. If you can get a friend interested, you can also co-op and both get to make dislogue choices! It's a very overlooked game on consoles imo.

Last edited:
Forgot about I Am Setsuna, from Tokyo RPG Factory and published by Square Enix. It came out this year but was developed as a throwback to the golden age of RPG's.

Divinity 2: Original Sin. The combat is outstanding and one of the most creative and best rpg battle systems out now. It's turn based and offers a lot of creativity. If you can get a friend interested, you can also co-op and both get to make dislogue choices! It's a very overlooked game on consoles imo.

Isn't it just Divinity: Original Sin? I believe they're working on Divinity 2, but it's not out yet.

Isn't it just Divinity: Original Sin? I believe they're working on Divinity 2, but it's not out yet.

Nope. But it is Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Divinty 2 is a much different game from the same Devs

Edit: I guess its not officially out. but early access. i haven't played it much just a bit on the first early access build

Last edited:
Forgot about I Am Setsuna, from Tokyo RPG Factory and published by Square Enix. It came out this year but was developed as a throwback to the golden age of RPG's.

this looks I have to play this! just seeing the trailer brings me back to those RPG days.

The Dark Souls series (including Bloodborne) are probably the best games I've ever played. They're RPG's and you're OP describes them perfectly... but they're not everyone's cup of tea.

They're NOT RPGs. Utterly not.

They are slash and kill games that highly depend on your controller skills, timing and are utterly combat orientated.

MSG Phantom Pain is 10x the RPG game and it is not a RPG.

RPG recommendations? Real RPG games?

Skyrim.

Witcher 3. <- best RPG out there.

Dragon Age.

Mass Effect.

Hell Deus Ex Manking Divided is more of an RPG.

They are slash and kill games that highly depend on your controller skills, timing and are utterly combat orientated.

Skyrim.

Dragon Age.

Mass Effect.

What defines an RPG for you?

Skyrim.

Dragon Age.

Mass Effect.

Lmao, yes they are. The genre is literally called "Action RPG." Which includes almost every game you mentioned btw.

What defines an RPG for you?

When someone mentions FF games and Lunar as his past loves, you can't recommend Dark Souls and Bloodborne. He's asking for fantasy, for dreams, not nightmares. For blue skies and villages, not for darkness and cemetaries.

TS, try Skyrim, you have to. If you also want JRPGS, try the tales of games released on PS3 (tales of xilia and tales of symphonia collection). I think there's a tales of ¨game on PS4 too (zestiria), try Dragon Quest too (not sure if the recent ones are good). Witcher 2 and 3.

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter. TS is asking for JRPGs.

When someone mentions FF games and Lunar as his past loves, you can't recommend Dark Souls and Bloodborne. He's asking for fantasy, for dreams, not nightmares. For blue skies and villages, not for darkness and cemetaries.

Yeah, those are both fair replies. Although, again, technically the Souls series is by definition a JRPG (they're Japanese RPG games, albeit focused on action], but they're not really what comes to mind when someone says JRPG.

But I still think what TS asked for is almost the exact description of a Souls game; "... open worlds, mysterious side stories, diverse characters, and interesting and challenging bosses." To be fair, that's basically a description of any good RPG.

Really, I only mentioned them because they're fucking amazing games and I can't help but bring them up at every possible opportunity.

I got the Witcher 3. I'm only just started and I like the atmosphere and fighting engine. The story seems odd I guess. Not much to it.

I can't stand the main character though, he's cheesy as hell. Looks like a buttery rip off of Conan.

Also, why is everyone pale white? I need some damn diversity in this place.

I like Souls, but this is one of the worst recommendations ever. It's nothing like the games he's describing.

TS I recommend Witcher 3. The Wild Hunt looms over the entire story, and you'll fight various bosses throughout. Or just play the latest Final Fantasy.

There are a handful on the PS4 that fit that. Final Fantasy XV, Tales of Zesteria and Star Ocean 5 are your typical JRPG with a real time battle system.

If your looking for turn based RPG, World of Final Fantasy is probably the only quality game out for now.

Persona 5 comes out in April and I'm fucking pumped to play it. Final Fantasy games are probably my most beloved series, but Persona is an amazing RPG series. Persona 3 and 4 were fantastic and I've been drooling to play P5.

digimon cyber sleuth is actually remarkably like persona but digimon instead of personas. it also has an incredibly deep evolution system for making your party

the story isnt as good, its lighthearted and cartoony. but if you like persona gameplay mechanics, i recommend it. same kind of thing as exploring japan, building social connections/friendships/sidequests in an overworld then going into dungeons where you have custom built teams fight on your behalf, then evolving/fusing them to get new ones

maxresdefault.jpg

for the record, i thought it would suck because it looks like a kids game and i always though of digimon as bargain bin pokemon, but i kept reading recommendations, and i ended up spending way too much time digivolving different growth trees and shit

Last edited by a moderator:
Back