Proper Box Squat

Unless you have an injury, I would strongly recommend ditching the box and getting used to full ROM squats.

For years, I thought it was ok to use a box/bench to squat off of. That was until I started doing full cleans and realized how weak I was in the pocket.

It takes a while to get used to, and your ego might take a beating, but I would say doing full squats make a tremendous difference to overall power and lower body mass.

That's why I use a big thick foam pad type mat on top of the box. I have to stop the decent when I hit the foam or I keep going. Defranco been having people use the pad too.

The box is a couple of inches below parallel.

It was just something I thought I would try for a couple of weeks to become adjusted to sitting back and get more out of my hamstrings/ass.

My biggest problem is honestly just staying consistent in the gym.

Consistent How? Consistent by doing the workouts that you map out or consistent by showing up at the gym. If its the later well there was a time when that was pretty tough for me as well...but you've got to ask yourself why your really at the gym if this is the case. For me I used to find it difficult to spend all the time and energy there because I didnt see the gains...and didnt understand them when I got them. It took me quite a while to realise that alot of guys were cheating...and that I was never going to blow up like that by doing things the old fashioned way. Its also hell to look foward to really long workouts...I keep mine to less than an hour and then cool down and stretch out for probally another half our...or just go run with the dog. Bottom line is youve gotta find what works best for you and what you want to do. You really dont need to spend more than three or four hours a week in a gym...but you do have to change your workouts up quite a bit. I really like the westsided site. I linked it earlier.

Are you using bands when you squat? I dont know if you do or not and I dont know of anyone who sells them in the Australian market. I like Iron Woody's site here in the states.

Consistent How? Consistent by doing the workouts that you map out or consistent by showing up at the gym. If its the later well there was a time when that was pretty tough for me as well...but you've got to ask yourself why your really at the gym if this is the case. For me I used to find it difficult to spend all the time and energy there because I didnt see the gains...and didnt understand them when I got them. It took me quite a while to realise that alot of guys were cheating...and that I was never going to blow up like that by doing things the old fashioned way. Its also hell to look foward to really long workouts...I keep mine to less than an hour and then cool down and stretch out for probally another half our...or just go run with the dog. Bottom line is youve gotta find what works best for you and what you want to do. You really dont need to spend more than three or four hours a week in a gym...but you do have to change your workouts up quite a bit. I really like the westsided site. I linked it earlier.

No I like working out and going to the gym.

Consistent in I just make excuses to not go...skip a workout here or there...skip a week...etc.

Most of my workouts are around 1 hour

I found a lower box yesterday that I used. I feel like sitting back on the box is helping getting the ass/hamstrings more involved with the lift then I was before.

No I like working out and going to the gym.

Consistent in I just make excuses to not go...skip a workout here or there...skip a week...etc.

Most of my workouts are around 1 hour

And what you said you squatted 3.5 you bodyweight...or was it 2.5? Cant remember but thats pretty good. I really wouldnt worry about it if those are the kind of numbers you put up. The heavier the weight the longer the recovery, you know that.

Hey I'm 37 and I get better gains out of lifting two or three times a week and running a couple times than I got when I was lifting for 2-3 hours every day. Just go in and do what you do and enjoy it.

I pretty much hit everything about 1.5 times a week. And with the added running I'm always sore somewhere...so thats about all that I need...five hours a week. If you get in two or three lifts a week I wouldnt worry about it.

If you want to lift more frequently I would suggest doing some 20-40 minute sessions...thats really where I got my best gains.

In fact I think sometimes its better to take the time off. It seems that when I take about a week off say once every month and a half to two months my injuries get all healed up. I've got a little pull in the back of my leg right now and I know Ive got to stay off of it (no squatting or running) of course I probally wont wait long enough for it to heal...and then its gonna nag and nag me. So why not just take a week off and get so other stuff done once in awhile. Nothing the matter with that in fact its one of the great things about lifting.

Back