Problems with under hook passes.

Calibur

Jiu Jitsu Snob
@red
Reaction score
I got a question for Nogi.

The underhook passes have been a staple of my game for a long time. The Double underhooks pass, and the infamous "Gracie Gift" guard pass.

When I am rolling with the gi I have no problems securing the pin because I can control my opponents hips using the gi pants and the lapel, before I get the crossface.

Recently I have been going up with guys with excellent hip movement in no gi and I was wondering if any of you had any tips on securing the hips while passing no gi. It's tough for me to get the pin without controlling their knee or grabbing their lapel to keep from rolling/turtling. Especially when they start throwing in the "stiff arm" defense.

Any advice would be appreciated.

well for the two arm under pass you really have to raise thier hips high off the ground. You still want to have body contact when you are throwing his hips to the ground at the pass or he will go to turtle. For the stiff arm defense you need to use a sit out motionto remove the hand. The sit out is into the opponets body in this example. Sorry I'm not good at explaing bjj in text

Cartwheel pass.

well for the two arm under pass you really have to raise thier hips high off the ground. You still want to have body contact when you are throwing his hips to the ground at the pass or he will go to turtle. For the stiff arm defense you need to use a sit out motionto remove the hand. The sit out is into the opponets body in this example. Sorry I'm not good at explaing bjj in text

The sit out break I know. Even when I prop my opponents hips off the ground, they still manage to roll on to their shoulders and turtle or create a scramble.

I'm wondering what I can do to slow them down or take away their mobility.

Are you sucking them back onto your hips and continuing to keep their hips stuck to your body?

just keep holding their leg up in the air until you secure, from this position i like to switch the hips to remove the stiff arm and sit to facing the legs position (reverse scarf hold) back up your hips while holding theirs to kill their arm before switching back to regular side control or stepping over to mount.

This might sound stupid but are you gripping your hands together when you prop their hips up? You should be if your not but what most likely is happening is they are getting rolling away as you are placing thier legs to the ground to pass. That is simply a matter of tightness. It is a common error to throw the person as you pass instead of using a slow steady downward presure so you stay tight to his body as you get side mount

Hip movement shouldn't even be an option for them if you do it right. You don't hug under their legs except for the very beginning, then you lift their hips off the ground and hug their hips. Then you stack the holy hell out of them and SIT there. Keep your weight back far enough that they can't roll over to turtle. They will GIVE you the pass to stop you from stacking them so ferociously. Personally, I don't use this pass much, as I'm super light, and feel this is more of a heavy guy's game. My stacking doesn't give nearly the pressure that the big'uns at my gym generate. BJ Penn uses this one a lot, though, and guys that know how to do it properly can really make you miserable.

that's nice in practice but if your in competion with a time limit and weight classes your going to have to shuck the guy to the side. No one in comp is giving you 3-5 points just becasue of the pressue especially if they are your size. Which is why you need to stay tight as you shuck them down.

Back