Pro Wrestling History Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB, now that you mention the GREAT Ray Stevens, I have to agree with your comparison of Ziggler to Stevens. Both are/were sick bump machines. Bockwinkel would do some bumps, but nothing like Ray Stevens. Both were among the best ever at selling.

BB, now that you mention the GREAT Ray Stevens, I have to agree with your comparison of Ziggler to Stevens. Both are/were sick bump machines. Bockwinkel would do some bumps, but nothing like Ray Stevens. Both were among the best ever at selling.

Ray Stevens is absolutely one of the greatest bumpers and sellers in PW history. Bockwinkel wasn't bad either but man, Ray Stevens was the man

beyerdick.jpg

Nice. Why the Rock Riddle av, DB?

I like his look and find him interesting. While "Mr. Wonderful" was never a major star or great technical wrestler or anything, he was a good heel, good on the mic and really knew how to get heat. Had a good mind for the business. And it seems like he's been even more successful outside of pro wrestling.

I was reading about Riddle and how he started & ran a fan club for Rip Hawk & Swede Hanson when he was 14, and he would make business cards and fancy logos on jackets promoting them, and due to his dedication, the fan club was eventually brought to the attention of Rip Hawk at a show in Greensboro, NC. Apparently Rip came up to Riddle, started talking to him and asked if he was serious about the fan club and the wrestling business and told him that if he was, he would help him. I thought that was pretty cool, as i don't know that there were too many wrestlers, particularly heels, who would've done something like that back then.

Actually it wasn't even pro wrestling through which i originally discovered Rock Riddle, it was actually through a movie i saw him in years ago, Blue Collar from 1978, which starred Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel, Yaphet Kotto & Ed Begley Jr. Riddle only had a small part in it as a thug, but i thought he looked cool and i looked him up on IMDb and came across other acting roles of his, but also of course found out that he was a pro wrestler, and so i did search and found out more about him.

Preview of the next ring used belt gallery/video that I will be posting on my sites later this week:

tvtease.jpg

Very nice! The main plate looks very globed dome-ish, which makes me happy.

I like his look and find him interesting. While "Mr. Wonderful" was never a major star or great technical wrestler or anything, he was a good heel, good on the mic and really knew how to get heat. Had a good mind for the business. And it seems like he's been even more successful outside of pro wrestling.

I was reading about Riddle and how he started & ran a fan club for Rip Hawk & Swede Hanson when he was 14, and he would make business cards and fancy logos on jackets promoting them, and due to his dedication, the fan club was eventually brought to the attention of Rip Hawk at a show in Greensboro, NC. Apparently Rip came up to Riddle, started talking to him and asked if he was serious about the fan club and the wrestling business and told him that if he was, he would help him. I thought that was pretty cool, as i don't know that there were too many wrestlers, particularly heels, who would've done something like that back then.

Actually it wasn't even pro wrestling through which i originally discovered Rock Riddle, it was actually through a movie i saw him in years ago, Blue Collar from 1978, which starred Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel, Yaphet Kotto & Ed Begley Jr. Riddle only had a small part in it as a thug, but i thought he looked cool and i looked him up on IMDb and came across other acting roles of his, but also of course found out that he was a pro wrestler, and so i did search and found out more about him.

dynamic_resize

RockRiddleBelt.JPG

images

RockRobeAtCar.jpg

RockRiddleMissPamela1.jpg

images

Those tights look like the ones Harley wore when he beat Dory Funk Jr for the NWA belt.

I never restore ring used belts. I think that takes away from it as well as the value.

If you want to restore a ring used belt, better off just buying a real copy instead.

Came across this photo of the Destroyer, Don Leo Jonathan, Jack Brisco, Nick Bockwinkel & Harley Race. Looks like they were having a good time.

cr19.jpg

I don't know why, but I loved this SMW 92 highlight segment when I first saw it years ago.

Man, that brought a tear to my eye.

I was blessed to have grown up just 15 mins from Knoxville in the Foothills of the Smoky Mountains, and was in college when SMW was at its height. I got to see so many great shows, and so many awesome, under-appreciated talents come through KnoxVegas

I haven't seen this in a long time. I loved how Terry Taylor, looked like he was throwing up white stuff and about to die. I was really scared as a kid and thought he was dying.

The coal miner's glove was so badass.

I haven't seen this in a long time. I loved how Terry Taylor, looked like he was throwing up white stuff and about to die. I was really scared as a kid and thought he was dying.

The coal miner's glove was so badass.

LOL, yeah. I'm sure that now you would guess that Terry just stuck an Alka-Seltzer tablet in his mouth to get that effect. Still looks pretty good though. I like the coal miner's glove and coal miner's glove matches. Dutch Savage had a cool idea when he came up with that one. I don't know why you don't see them anymore....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back