• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pro Wrestling History Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny how Buddy would take advantage of guys but when he was in there with Thesz and Bruno he didn't have a choice but to cooperate or they'd have crippled him. Thesz could have tied up Rogers in knots and Bruno would have put him in a simple hold and due to his immense strength just crushed him with it.

Or him filling up a hotel tub with shit and using the curtains as toilet paper.

I came across these scans on another wrestling board of an article on Pat Patterson from the September 1963 issue of Boxing Illustrated-Wrestling News. It's a bit odd, that's for sure.

pp0002.jpg

pp0003.jpg

pp0004.jpg

Scrappy McGowan had the best ref name in PW history! He could take a good bump, too.

I lucked upon this series of videos on Bruno Sammartino. it is in 7-8 segments of 20 minutes or so each. He basically tells his life story, in his own words. Bruno is a real stand-up guy, and he deserves all of the respect, and more, that he is given. There will never be another Bruno.

Yeah I've watched those and enjoyed them thoroughly. His life in Italy during WWII is so interesting and really lays the foundation for the man he would become.

You can also find George A. Romero(yes the zombie guru and like Bruno a Pittsburgh native)'s documentary "Bruno Sammartino: Strongman" shot during Bruno's second reign as champion.

Yeah I've watched those and enjoyed them thoroughly. His life in Italy during WWII is so interesting and really lays the foundation for the man he would become.

You can also find George A. Romero(yes the zombie guru and like Bruno a Pittsburgh native)'s documentary "Bruno Sammartino: Strongman" shot during Bruno's second reign as champion.

I am watching this one right now. Very kayfabe-y, but still a great insight into mid-70s PW and Bruno. This was pre-broken neck, which happened in 1976.

AWA World Heavyweight Champion Rick Martel vs NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair in an AWA/NWA title unification match from October 2, 1985 in Tokyo, Japan. :cool:

Question about the AWA title design, which one was the "inmate" belt?

Question about the AWA title design, which one was the "inmate" belt?

http://www.davemillicanbelts.com/AWAInmate.htm

You probably can't go wrong looking at one of Millican's replicas, you get a nice, up close view. He even put velcro on the strap like the original had, which is good attention to detail as always from Dave.

Edit: I suppose i could've just told you to take a good look at my current avatar, lol.

Last edited:
HAs there been a discussion about the movie Rikidozan recently? Been away and just watched it and wondered how it went over with this crowd. Was Rikidozan the original Brett Hart?

Rick Martel was a fantastic babyface world champion for the AWA. He was good looking (no homo), had good in-ring charisma, and was a very good worker.

Stan Hansen brutalized him when he won the title, and submitted him with a nasty Boston Crab. That was a great match!

In other words, Danny, you have my full approval of your avatar. You've always rocked killer AVs.

HAs there been a discussion about the movie Rikidozan recently? Been away and just watched it and wondered how it went over with this crowd. Was Rikidozan the original Brett Hart?

I've wondered about this movie as well. I saw it on netflix but hadn't watched it yet. I'm not usually into foreign films that are subtitled unless it's about something that really interests me and has gotten really good reviews. So any info from anyone on this movie would be very much appreciated.

Rick Martel was a fantastic babyface world champion for the AWA. He was good looking (no homo), had good in-ring charisma, and was a very good worker.

Stan Hansen brutalized him when he won the title, and submitted him with a nasty Boston Crab. That was a great match!

In other words, Danny, you have my full approval of your avatar. You've always rocked killer AVs.

Why thank you, i try. :wink:

And of course i agree with what you said about Martel.

I've wondered about this movie as well. I saw it on netflix but hadn't watched it yet. I'm not usually into foreign films that are subtitled unless it's about something that really interests me and has gotten really good reviews. So any info from anyone on this movie would be very much appreciated.

It wouldn't be a waste of your time to watch it as far as the technical side goes; the production is very good, as it seems to be with many Korean movies these days. I'm interested in seeing how the story and it presentation jibes with folks' own perception of the (hi)story involved.

It's definitely worth a viewing, and there are some cool things & facts in it: a sweet cameo, seeing "Iron" Mike's dad & uncle wrestle on the first live television broadcast in Japan, and just seeing how closely certain factors and situations in the biz are related, regardless or culture or continent.

I will say this though for the booking of that match, it absolutely put Stan over as a monster but Rick never caught on with the fans like he was supposed to and they gave up on him when he submitted to Stan. Babyface champs never submitted and when Martel did fans turned on him.

I love Martel and he's absolutely one of my all time favorites but he just wasn't the right guy at that time. They tried using Jimmy Garvin and Michael Hayes who were loaded with charisma to get people into him more but it just didn't click.

I will say this though for the booking of that match, it absolutely put Stan over as a monster but Rick never caught on with the fans like he was supposed to and they gave up on him when he submitted to Stan. Babyface champs never submitted and when Martel did fans turned on him.

I love Martel and he's absolutely one of my all time favorites but he just wasn't the right guy at that time. They tried using Jimmy Garvin and Michael Hayes who were loaded with charisma to get people into him more but it just didn't click.

I'll definitely have to agree with you about the ending to the match where Hansen won the AWA World HW title from Martel. I didn't see it until years later, as i was only 1 1/2 months old when it actually happened. When i first saw it obviously i knew it was the match where Stan won the title, but i didn't know how he won. I admit i was surprised to see Martel lose by submitting, and at that, to his own finisher. It greatly hurt him in the AWA fans eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back