Pro Cycling Discussion 4: Transfers Everywhere, Vuelta & Beyond

Rainbow Pog races for first time in his snazzy new jersey tomorrow at Giro del'Emilia!

others starting: REMCO, Roglic, Jorgensson, Yates x2, Mas, Pidders

includes the picturesque San Luca climb 5x
GZEPP8BXwAEWRrh

Pog too good. Vingegaard and Remco must feel they're getting left behind. I think Vingegaard suspected it, but judging by Remco he's getting a bit pissed. I'm not not enjoying that a bit haha

"Gravel" world champs today, any US gravel stars competing?!

Pog too good. Vingegaard and Remco must feel they're getting left behind. I think Vingegaard suspected it, but judging by Remco he's getting a bit pissed. I'm not not enjoying that a bit haha

Remco made insane improvement to this years Tour. I think he can still improve, not his race IQ tho. That is stuck at zero.

Baffling tactics from most of the peloton. No idea why Trek was on the front riding so hard before the finishing circuit. No idea why Remco and others attacked on the first climb.

Pog was the clear favorite. I think he was going to win this one despite what anybody else did but still, please adopt tactics that make it a bit harder.

Baffling tactics from most of the peloton. No idea why Trek was on the front riding so hard before the finishing circuit. No idea why Remco and others attacked on the first climb.

Pog was the clear favorite. I think he was going to win this one despite what anybody else did but still, please adopt tactics that make it a bit harder.

I think Remco was counting on Pog having tired legs and tried to do what Pog has done many times this season so successfully, pre-empt getting attacked by launching it first and going long.
Rather frustrating that the chase went pretty much straight to racing for the second place mode though the finishing circuit was not exactly the best for organized chase.

"Gravel" world champs today, any US gravel stars competing?!

Remco made insane improvement to this years Tour. I think he can still improve, not his race IQ tho. That is stuck at zero.
Hey, I respect his competitivesss I'm the GTs. He's had a phenomenal season by all accounts. There more to come from him for sure. Pog may just be out of reach though. He's just freaky good.

I think Remco was counting on Pog having tired legs and tried to do what Pog has done many times this season so successfully, pre-empt getting attacked by launching it first and going long.
Rather frustrating that the chase went pretty much straight to racing for the second place mode though the finishing circuit was not exactly the best for organized chase.

This is why I think that the tactics were so bad. Nobody drops Pog on those sort of short steep climbs. So, why attack him there? Better to be conservative on the climb and then attack/send riders up the road on flat/less steep sections. UAE/Pog have to spend energy to chase down the attacks or leave other riders to take a lead into the next circuit climb. Meanwhile Remco and others can draft. The point of the tactical plan should be to tire out the best rider, not try to attack the best rider in the place where they have the biggest advantage.

I love that Remco is aggressive. I just think that this was another absolute blunder by him.

Two obvious caveats. One, Pog probably would have won anyway. 2. Easy for me to point out tactics as I lay on the couch.

Back