Prime Tank Abbott vs Prime Roy Nelson

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Who takes it...well besides Burger King sponsorship

I have Roy by early KO after the first real exchange

Roy, better literally everywhere.

Prime Tank has a chance in a boxing match, and would dominate a comedian competition.

Roy actually has a JJ game, which would have beaten Tank; Tank was never much for avoiding submissions.

That would be a 1 rounder probably with somebody getting KTFO. Roy has a better chin, so I'd go with him.

Roy has way better cardio than tank.. tank has a punches chance.

Prime Tank has a chance in a boxing match, and would dominate a comedian competition.

Roy actually has a JJ game, which would have beaten Tank; Tank was never much for avoiding submissions.

Tank rolled 17 minutes with Oleg Taktarov in his first UFC appearance...and that was after 2 other fights in a high-altitude location (Wyoming)? And Roy's last submission was in 2006 against a no-name guy.

Tank was also a juco wrestler, but didn't use that skill as much as he should. I still have Roy winning (Tank tended to lose championship fights and against guys who simply outlasted him), but I think it may be more brutal and back-and-forth then people expect. As for Roy being better "everywhere," Tank was much stronger than Roy*, though they had similar punching power. I don't think strength would come into play much unless there was a lot of clinching/wrestling, though.

* Werdum said he was surprised how weak Roy seemed to be. Again, punching power and other types of strength are very different.

Roy via better technique standing and on the ground.

I'm not convinced Tank ever had technique or cared to learn it.

Roy is better everywhere but Tank has a puncher's chance against anyone on earth. If he hits you clean, you are done. He punched the legendary chinned Cabbage so hard that he woke up crying

<{vega}>

Roy has a BJJ blackbelt and is a better striker. How is this a question?

Yeah, Kimo-Tank was 10+ years after Tank's debut, when he was well into his 40s and already had an NHB and WWE career. That's the problem with most Sherdoggers...

Kimo-Tank (or Goodridge-Tank) would've been much different and much better around 1996.
"That's the problem with most Sherdoggers..."

what problem, what beef u have? lmao

When Kimo fought Tank, he had nagging injuries, was past his physical prime (he actually missed on a NFL career coz of injuries)

And Tank was 38 (Kimo 35)

<{vega}>

Roy has a BJJ blackbelt and is a better striker. How is this a question?

People don't understand fighting. Because their physiques are similar, people believe it's somehow a tossup. That's literally the premise of this thread. "Which of these two fat guys would win?" completely ignoring their fighting ability and performance against opponents.

"That's the problem with most Sherdoggers..."

what problem, what beef u have? lmao

When Kimo fought Tank, he had nagging injuries, was past his physical prime (he actually missed on a NFL career coz of injuries)

And Tank was 38 (Kimo 35)

I actually watched NHB since the early days. Tank declined a LOT more than Kimo. He also quit caring and "came right off the barstool" to fight after the Hugo Duarte (the last fight in which has moderately prepared and conditioned). You can just look at them and see. Kimo didn't look too much different in 2003 then he did in his UFC debut. Tank did. As for injuries, Tank had a ton and actually went to pro wrestling partially because they'd pay for his surgeries (but then took more damage, as fake wrestling is extremely hard on your body).

Bottom line: Tank's best days were in 1996-1998. This is about prime vs. prime so Kimo-Tank is meaningless.

People don't understand fighting. Because their physiques are similar, people believe it's somehow a tossup. That's literally the premise of this thread. "Which of these two fat guys would win?" completely ignoring their fighting ability and performance against opponents.

I was going to add that, is this just a "fat white dude" matchup?

I actually watched NHB since the early days. Tank declined a LOT more than Kimo. He also quit caring and "came right off the barstool" to fight after the Hugo Duarte (the last fight in which has moderately prepared and conditioned). You can just look at them and see. Kimo didn't look too much different in 2003 then he did in his UFC debut. Tank did. As for injuries, Tank had a ton and actually went to pro wrestling partially because they'd pay for his surgeries (but then took more damage, as fake wrestling is extremely hard on your body).

Bottom line: Tank's best days were in 1996-1998. This is about prime vs. prime so Kimo-Tank is meaningless.
hmm..have to disagree on this one...

As I said, Kimo started his career injured, missed on a potential NFL stint.

His next fight against Ken, u could see the end of the decline, as the lighter Ken dropped him with one single knee.

The Kimo who fought Royce had physically lil to do with the one who fought Tank/Ken.

Roy via better technique standing and on the ground.

I'm not convinced Tank ever had technique or cared to learn it.

Tank had a bit of wrestling/boxing training and some sub-defense, but sometimes just brawled and threw it all out the window. Of course, technique in the mid-90s was very crude compared to modern techniques.

I was going to add that, is this just a "fat white dude" matchup?

Yep, I believe that's what it is - that basic. Next maybe we'll see a Stefan Struve vs Semmy Schilt (tall white guys) or Joe Son vs WarMachine (felons)

Back