Prime Sakuraba vs Prime Maia

Is this guy retarded
Saku is a LW by modern standards, he was very exciting as a fighter but very one-dimensional with poor archaic stand-up. He would walk right into conors punches and be KO’d probably instantaniously. Aldo would break his legs or take him out with bodyshots while stuffing takedowns. Don’t let nostalgia blind you.

This old version of Maia beats up Sakuraba pretty bad. Maybe fresh off winning the worlds Maia with no MMA or extensive no gi training. Sakuraba handles him in an mma fight

Saku is a LW by modern standards, he was very exciting as a fighter but very one-dimensional with poor archaic stand-up. He would walk right into conors punches and be KO’d probably instantaniously. Aldo would break his legs or take him out with bodyshots while stuffing takedowns. Don’t let nostalgia blind you.

Fought Prime Crocop, Wanderlei, Igor.
Beat Vitor, Rampage, Metzger.
But will get koed by Conor and get destroyed with bodyshots by Aldo.

RETARDALERT

some people think that maia would just take down saku just like that...smh!

Like I said, even guys like Black Beast and Ngannou don't know any grappling. Maia would surely beat them right?

No, both Black Beast ad Ngannou are light years ahead in submission defense compared to some of the people Royce was fighting. These are people who didn't know what submission grappling was.

Damn I've never seen Maia out grappled and in his prime his was world champion material. Has Saku ever faced anyone on that level?

HOWEVER; this is MMA and Pride rules is such a different format Saku really only ever struggled with the top strikers, fuck I dunno
I personally thought Jake Shields outgrappled him

I'm saying Royce fought HWs with no gloves or sanctioning rules and protection.

The Royce who fought Hughes was way past his prime.... Royce was 40 with years of bare knuckle damage toll.

The real test a true martial artist, is to fight anyone in front of you regardless of size of rules... and that's what Royce did, and Royce came out on top multiple times.

Ngannou doesn't know any grappling, Maia would surely beat him right? Or Maia would beat Black Beast who also doesn't know any grappling nor is athletic? LOL gtfo... Maia can't even hang at MW, and can't even win the belt at WW.

Royce was open weight Champion. You guys are giving him way too less credit. The weight class era is bogus. There's no such thing in fighting.

You are a fool.

Irrelevant fight. Hoyce was 40 yrs old.

The Hughes that fought Royce would have smashed any version of Royce.

Ask anyone in the game you might happen to know.

I’ll be happy to ask Renzo and get back to you.

Yeah Ask Renzo and then let us know.

And hey guess what I stumbled upon a while back

giphy.gif

Ask him about this too

Eh hard to choose but Saku did have decent stand up and some unorthodox strikes look how lost Vitor was on the feet with him. If he can do that to Belfort he can get a KO/TKO against Maia.

IMO Maia.
Not because of pure BJJ. Saku fought his share of BJJ guys.
But Maia is one of the best guys that translated BJJ for MMA.

IMO he could beat Saku.

IMO Maia.
Not because of pure BJJ. Saku fought his share of BJJ guys.
But Maia is one of the best guys that translated BJJ for MMA.

IMO he could beat Saku.

This post...hm...what

Uhm, that 'draw' with Mezger is one of the most blatant cases of judging corruption in the history of the sport. There is a reason they threw a fit after. Sakuraba lost that fight.

The Vitor fight is the strangest fight I have ever seen. Vitor spent the majority of the fight on his back with Saku throwing leg kicks from his feet. I already granted he has good leg kicks. I don't know if Sakuraba injured his leg(s) or something. But that fight does nothing to show versatility in striking.

These examples are not helping your case.

I think Vitor broke his hand early in the fight.

I'm not sure who I'd pick but if Sakuraba gave up his back going for a kimura I think Maia would get the choke.

I mean I love Demian AND Saku, but I can't believe people think Demian will just dominate Saku

I'm not sure who I'd pick but if Sakuraba gave up his back going for a kimura I think Maia would get the choke.

Saku has never been RNCed in his career so it would be definitely interesting. I think it would be a dope fight

Back