Prime Sakuraba vs Prime Maia

Maia is a much better grappler than Sakuraba. It's not a knock on Sakuraba but rather how fast grappling changes once the sport became international. Sakuraba wins when he fights grapplers with a old style where they try to keep you in guard and wait. The guys who kept pressure will beat him if they didn't tire out.
Sakuraba just had too loose of style that will get him in trouble with Maia.

But Maia would have schooled Royce......

Sakuraba lost to Nino Schembri. Maia could absolutely beat him.

Sakuraba also beat Nino in the rematch, managing to not F around and avoid a fluke knee.

Sakuraba beat Vitor and Rampage.
Those guys would have smashed Maia’s face.

Sakuraba also beat Nino in the rematch, managing to not F around and avoid a fluke knee.

Lucky for Maia he would be facing Sakuraba and not Vitor or Rampage.

Seriously, are you that fucking stupid or just a dishonest hypocrite?
Maia is fighting to this day, guys who are more well rounded tha anyone Saku fought.

the fact you mention Vitor, like he is some BJJ beats is laughable.

You got nothing.
"hypocrite"...lmao...wow wow...ya´re gettin´ 2 personal, ya goof...

See... I jus´ dont get it... Why ya keep on wantin´to talk about things that are way beyond your scope ?

Crazy...

In time: The evolution of Vitor Gracie´s skill set > here:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-24-carlson´s-silence.3879035/

Maia...more well-rounded than... Goes...for instance?

Laughable. Your stupidity has no limit, my dear friend.

I mean...ask anyone from Carlson´s to BTT...Ask Wallid, Busta, Mario, Barretão...Anyone...
They would laugh at your silly face...
Allan had much,much better striking, better boxing, heavier hands, better cardio, better kicks (especially from the guard...see the SAKU fight)...
In a fight, it would have gone jus´like Goes vs Daniel Gracie @ IFL.

In short: limit yourself to things ya really know, dont try to pretend.

I hear ya...but...Let´s keep it real... Elvis beat him fair and square, he did his homework, while SAKU G. was obviously bored goin´in that fight, jus´like against Hoyler or Arsene... SAKU didnt acknowledge that Elvis was workin´on his skill set...
Let´s not act like them No Rush ´tards about the Serra episode.

Agreed about those LHWs smashin´Maia.

Last edited:
Maia is a much better grappler than Sakuraba. It's not a knock on Sakuraba but rather how fast grappling changes once the sport became international. Sakuraba wins when he fights grapplers with a old style where they try to keep you in guard and wait. The guys who kept pressure will beat him if they didn't tire out.
Sakuraba just had too loose of style that will get him in trouble with Maia.
What...are....ya...talkin´...about...

cruz.gif

The sport was becomin´officially [legit] international in the IAFC Tournaments [Russia] and Rings [Japan], where BJJ collided with Sambo full scale for the 1st time.

In time, watch the Goes fight b4 givin´inaccurate assessments.

Last edited:
Sak would do like he did to bjj guys. Maia doesn't have anything spectacular on tds or striking. Saku would probably own him like he did the Gracies. Maia has the best subs around probably but Saku was like anti bjj.

I hear ya...but...Let´s keep it real... Elvis beat him fair and square, he did his homework, while SAKU G. was obviously bored goin´in that fight, jus´like against Hoyler or Arsene... SAKU didnt acknowledge that Elvis was workin´on his skill set...
Let´s not act like them No Rush ´tards about the Serra episode.

Agreed about those LHWs smashin´Maia.

Well...could happen to anyone who was playing around too much.
I was bored for most of it because Sakuraba was totally outclassing Schembri.
Anyway, the main argument is that this particular fight is a stupid argument to use as an example of how Sakuraba would do against Maia.

What...are....ya...talkin´...about...

View attachment 525799

The sport was becomin´officially [legit] international in the IAFC Tournaments [Russia] and Rings [Japan], where BJJ collided with Sambo full scale for the 1st time.

In time, watch the Goes fight b4 givin´inaccurate assessments.

I was referring to No gi grappling as a whole. You really going to tell me IAFC and Rings is no gi grappling or even can compare to the purses for grappling now? What international no-gi grappling competitions were going on at the time of Rings and IAFC? Off the top of my head I can only think of one and the level of competitors drastically changed throughout the years. You can't win that tournament today by just stalling.
Do you really see any sambo guys win anything on an international no gi grappling circuit?

I really don't understand you. You seem to cite a lot from the past and try to place some significance to it or you paint some narrative that you seem so sure about.

I was referring to No gi grappling as a whole. You really going to tell me IAFC and Rings is no gi grappling or even can compare to the purses for grappling now? What international no-gi grappling competitions were going on at the time of Rings and IAFC? Off the top of my head I can only think of one and the level of competitors drastically changed throughout the years. You can't win that tournament today by just stalling.
Do you really see any sambo guys win anything on an international no gi grappling circuit?

I really don't understand you. You seem to cite a lot from the past and try to place some significance to it or you paint some narrative that you seem so sure about.
We´re talkin´about NHB>MMA here. Ya drew a caricature of SAKU´s opponents and I sent ya re-assessin´the Goes fight.
I suggest ya stop droppin´clichés about the past here, and dedicate more time to watchin´the fights.
Otherwise, I sincerely dont understand why ya keep on droppin´these clichés...

Simple.

Yeah Ask Renzo and then let us know.

Had that conversation earlier tonight.

No version of Royce defeats prime Maia and Royce likely gets finished in the first round.

There you have it...

As for your subsequent post referencing Renzo losing a match to Sakuraba, I’m not sure what relevance that has to his assessment of his cousin’s skill set relative to Demian Maia.

Had that conversation earlier tonight.

No version of Royce defeats prime Maia and Royce likely gets finished in the first round.

As for your subsequent post referencing Renzo losing a match to Sakuraba, I’m not sure what relevance that has to his assessment of his cousin’s skill set relative to Demian Maia.

giphy.gif

What did he say about Sakuraba aginst Maia

giphy.gif

What did he say about Sakuraba aginst Maia

I’m not too concerned about what you believe.

It may be beyond the purview of your experience, but some of us on these boards actually have a history of involvement in the sport...

As to Sakuraba v. Maia, I didn’t ask about that. Just Royce versus Maia (which I felt silly asking, because it’s a stupid question, but I said I would ask)... which arose earlier in the thread. In fact... the issue originally came up in conversation with another poster... but you were the last to comment, so I followed up with you with respect to the answer.

EDIT: the original discussion was with gono btw, who was likely trolling. Anyway, there it is.

Last edited:
Maia is a much better, nearly flawless mma bjj practitioner compared to the bjj guys sak faced.

Back