Prime Anderson Silva is the goat

So what... There are plenty of freakishly tall fighters that never even crack the top 10. Struve, George Roop, Corey Hill, Cyrille Diabate etc...

The fact is that he has never been beaten in a fight. Just because he knows how to use his physical attributes to his advantage shouldn't take away from his achievements.

He only cuts about 5 pounds of water weight come fight week, so it's not like he's in the wrong division. All LHW are HW's that cut down to 205.
Huge difference between using ur physical attributes and mastering an advantage.....

When fighters are jons size, he is going to have much more trouble implementing his game....and probably get a few in the L column......

im not one of the people who think gus beat him....but fights without his attribute advantages will look alot more like that and alot less like his fight with sonnen.....

alot of his success is being in the right division at the right time....

Huge difference between using ur physical attributes and mastering an advantage.....

When fighters are jons size, he is going to have much more trouble implementing his game....and probably get a few in the L column......

im not one of the people who think gus beat him....but fights without his attribute advantages will look alot more like that and alot less like his fight with sonnen.....

alot of his success is being in the right division at the right time....

Added to that SHogun and Rampage were clearly not close to their best whe they fought Jones, Rua might have been champ but he never looked as good again after the 3rd ACL sugery and he gassed badly inside 4 mins vs Jones without really working that hard or taking much punishment after the opening knee.

GSP, Anderson, Fedor. No particular order. If Jones comes back and beats the winner of Johnson/Cormier II he is included.

Jon Jones is a close second. With Fedor and GSP fighting for 3rd place.

No one has looked like they were hacking the matrix the way prime Silva did and no one ever will again. If you missed his UFC run as it happened you can't appreciate the aura he had around him at the time.
lmao @ no one ever will again when Weidman out matrixed him in the first fight. andy couldn't land shit and that's why he got flustered. also we just saw garbrandt dance his way to a title. Everything about Silva is overrated

The reality with Anderson for me is that he never stepped up to take the really massive fights at LHW, Hendo is his biggest win but Hendo was never a dominant force. When MW finally started to improve he lost the first time he fought one of the future big names.

In that respect Jones is clearly ahead of him, indeed I think Fedor, GSP, Jones AND Nog are ahead of Anderson.

Yes.

He fought a wide variety of styles and was mostly dominant. He holds the most title defenses in UFC history while primarily being a striker. He holds the most clutch championship victory in MMA history. He's tied for most top 10 victories in MMA history. He's still fighting top fighters while being competitive. He never ducked the UFC or Pride and his style revolutionized MMA.

Silva is the best, still a threat to everyone at MW at 41 years old.

Everyone that was great fought in a weak division. It's cause they just looked weak by comparison
that mw division was often thought of as the weakest division at the time. Alot of people would agree, i get what your saying but strikeforce merging was huge for the division. Off the top of my head it brought in Rockhold, Kennedy, Souza, Mousasi and Hendo.

i forgot romero

Romero? Maybe. Rockhold? No.

Cmon, you're better than this.

Weidman is also better than everyone he fought, hence why he wrecked him twice.

I love how underrated Weidman is, it is quite hilarious.

???? Lol Franklin more impressive? Pretty confident Rockhold and Romero would beat the hell out of Rich. That guy was overrated. MW was absolutely terrible when he reigned.

Also, Hendo lost to numerous fighters that were nothing special.
Correct. Hendo, Belfort and Sonnen were Silva's greatest wins. None of them are a patch on the top MWs today, although they're better than Bisping funnily.

Fedor just felt too sloppy and often lucky to me. If he did a small run in UFC it would of helped. Tough dude but aside from durability and power he never made my jaw hit the floor in amazement at what I was seeing.

GSP started strong, if he kept that style throughout his career he could possibly edge Silva, but going from rush to lay n pray ruined it.

Jones was Silva Esque right up until the Gus fight and even then and after that fight has proved to be an insanely skilled fighter. He did it all vs tougher competition too. If he finishes DC and AJ he will probably overtake Anderson. If he takes on a few HW and wins he will be the goat hands down.

Silva did things that no other human has ever done in the cage, he didn't just win or finish guys. He looked like a super Saiyan fighting a helpless child in there, vs top guys at the time. There's a difference between winning fights and completely destroying guys while closing your eyes.

Conor has clowned champs just as bad as Silva, regardless if people want to admit this.

What he did to Aldo was more impressive than what Silva did to Rich

What McGregor did to Eddie was just foolishness.

I didn't say he would lose I said he wouldn't have looked as great. Silva could beat everyone today sure, but I feel it would be tougher.
Maybe it would have but I don't see the elite fighters of today having skillsets much higher the Franklin, Hendo, Maia, Griffin or Belfort had.

Correct. Hendo, Belfort and Sonnen were Silva's greatest wins. None of them are a patch on the top MWs today, although they're better than Bisping funnily.
Hendo was the Pride LHW and MW champion, Belfort was a bomb of a striker (KOd Rockhold), I never bought into Sonnen as he was a good wrestler was never anything special who did more talk than anything. Maia was an elite grappler (as he is today) as infamous as the fight was. Griffin had just been the UFCs LHW champion.

He was a beast but fought during a weak period during mW history. Also had a glaring hole in his wrestling. Prime Andy would not have looked so great in today's mW division.

OK so Conor sucks because in ten years LW fighters will be better?

???? Lol Franklin more impressive? Pretty confident Rockhold and Romero would beat the hell out of Rich. That guy was overrated. MW was absolutely terrible when he reigned.

Also, Hendo lost to numerous fighters that were nothing special.

50 year old Hendo just beat the current MW champ for all intents and purposes.

Back