PRIDEFC NYE Shockwave 2004

that was really the golden era of PRIDE. hard to believe that the wheels came off a year or so later.

I have not watched the event in years and years but this thread brings back so many great memories. absolutely epic night of MMA

You're not doing yourself any favors by dumb claims of dives in Kevin vs Cro Cop rematch. I say Nog was paid to take a dive lmao
That kind of logic

I can't believe it's been over 18 years since I watched this. I remember exactly where I was. Very distinctily.
I was at @Sad Dad 's house.

I think Bushido Blade was also involved.

They look uber cool. Are they American? I've got a tone of kickboxing old school mags & 2000 - around 2013 MMA mags. If I can dig some out, Ill post 'em. Cheers HHJ

Yes, these were American newspapers. One of the first MMA publications in the US. However, i have the first MMA Newslatter publishings which were called "Fighting Sports Newsletter (1996-1999).

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Ah yes, I remember watching that on TV. Decision Dan couldn't put away undersized Yuki Kondo and the decision was pretty contentious. I remember being surprised they gave it to Hendo (since PRIDE usually just gave close decisions to the Japanese fighter in their endless Japan vs. Foreigner cards). Of course, later, Dan would get much older - past his prime (you might say) - and start destroying people...even fighters larger than him.

Jarl

Anderson has had a crazy career... Tapping twice in Pride while being #1 at 170, then becoming the undisputed GOAT at 185, having ups and downs to end his MMA career and now looking Prime again in the Boxing Ring and could be the one to rid us of Jake Paul... Spider Bless
Anderson addressed his weaknesses by joining up with the Nog brothers. That's why he became invincible in the UFC.

Yes, these were American newspapers. One of the first MMA publications in the US. However, i have the first MMA Newslatter publishings which were called "Fighting Sports Newsletter (1996-1999).

View attachment 962659
Thanks for sharing the pics & the background of them. You Sir, are old school. Respect!

Back