PRIDE grand prix 2005 semi finals

Mooner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do so many people discredit Shogun's run in the 2005 grand prix in PRIDE?

I constantly hear claims such as "Wanderlei been through a war with Arona and Shogun beat a tired Arona" or even more ridiculousness where "Wanderlei lost to Arona so Shogun can have a shot to become a champ"

Did people honestly watch these fights? Or do they look at the wikipedia and come to a conclusion that Wandy x Arona 15 mins > Shogun x Overeem was 5~6 mins therefore, Arona was more exhausted, making it an easy win for SHogun when he faced Arona.

First off, I'd like to point out Arona completely had his way with Wandy. Circle around-leg kicks-takedown-top positional control, like classic Arona style fighting. It wasn't a back and fourth war, Arona manhandled Wandy. When you have your way with your opponent, you don't generally get tired, so the myth of Arona 'exhausted' when he faced Shogun is questionable.

Also, Wandy x Arona happened before Shogun x Overeem and Shogun x Arona happened after Cro Cop x FEdor. Arona had plenty of time to rest up before SHogun.

Secondly, Shogun x Overeem I was one of the most intense paced match I've ever seen in 205lb. Both guys literally sprinted to the finish and I'd say Shogun's been in more of a 'war' than Arona against Wandy.

To sum up, this is the timeline: Arona cruised to victory-Shogun went through hell against Overeem-Fedor vs Cro Cop- Shogun vs Arona. There shouldn't be any reason to think Arona was more tired out than Shogun.

I would argue that no one on this board discredits anything that Shogun has done. Even his losses aren't losses to his fans. Great fighter, super annoying hardcore fans.

I've never once noticed someone discredit his grand prix win

I've honestly never seen someone discredit Shogun's GP win.

I've never once noticed someone discredit his grand prix win

I've seen a lot of people say weird things about the semi finals. Some say "Shogun beat a tired Arona who has been through war with Wandy" or even weirder claim where "Wandy lost on purpose for SHogun"

This is the first time I've ever heard someone mention this

"Wanderlei lost to Arona so Shogun can have a shot to become a champ"

:icon_chee

Arona was tired, there's no denying that. Shogun finished Overeem in 6 minutes, Arona went to a grappling war with Wand for 15 and grappling tires you out much more than striking.

That said, Shogun's run in the GP is still, to me, the greatest feat in MMA history.

who is discrediting him? Shoguns GP win is still one of the most impressive streaks in MMA imo

Arona was tired, there's no denying that. Shogun finished Overeem in 6 minutes, Arona went to a grappling war with Wand for 15 and grappling tires you out much more than striking.

That said, Shogun's run in the GP is still, to me, the greatest feat in MMA history.

There it is.

Shogun x Overeem had more intense paced grappling and striking than Arona and Wandy starring at each other for 10 mins exchanging weak inside leg kicks.

You are constantly hearing it?

I've never heard it.

I just got fuel tv and am watching best of pride. God kenda perez needs to eat

You are constantly hearing it?

I've never heard it.

WHenever a thread about Wandy and SHogun comes up (fighting for a dog etc), those things always pop up. 100%.

It's just you never probably hear about it because those threads don't pop up frequently, but whenever Shogun/Wandy thread comes up, they say these things.

Why do so many people discredit Shogun's run in the 2005 grand prix in PRIDE?

I constantly hear claims such as "Wanderlei been through a war with Arona and Shogun beat a tired Arona" or even more ridiculousness where "Wanderlei lost to Arona so Shogun can have a shot to become a champ"

Did people honestly watch these fights? Or do they look at the wikipedia and come to a conclusion that Wandy x Arona 15 mins > Shogun x Overeem was 5~6 mins therefore, Arona was more exhausted, making it an easy win for SHogun when he faced Arona.

First off, I'd like to point out Arona completely had his way with Wandy. Circle around-leg kicks-takedown-top positional control, like classic Arona style fighting. It wasn't a back and fourth war, Arona manhandled Wandy. When you have your way with your opponent, you don't generally get tired, so the myth of Arona 'exhausted' when he faced Shogun is questionable.

Also, Wandy x Arona happened before Shogun x Overeem and Shogun x Arona happened after Cro Cop x FEdor. Arona had plenty of time to rest up before SHogun.

Secondly, Shogun x Overeem I was one of the most intense paced match I've ever seen in 205lb. Both guys literally sprinted to the finish and I'd say Shogun's been in more of a 'war' than Arona against Wandy.

To sum up, this is the timeline: Arona cruised to victory-Shogun went through hell against Overeem-Fedor vs Cro Cop- Shogun vs Arona. There shouldn't be any reason to think Arona was more tired out than Shogun.

I am in no way arguing what shogun did in that grand prix in fact i was so excited when he came to the UFC thinking allllllright this guys gonna clean out the LJHW division in UFC now as well.

But ARONA was dog tired after the shogun fight huffing and puffing. Arona was super tired either way shogun kicked his ass.

I am in no way arguing what shogun did in that grand prix in fact i was so excited when he came to the UFC thinking allllllright this guys gonna clean out the LJHW division in UFC now as well.

But ARONA was dog tired after the shogun fight huffing and puffing. Arona was super tired either way shogun kicked his ass.

Come on...This is what I'm talking about. Shogun x Overeem was 1) more intense paced fight 2) happened AFTER Arona x Wandy.

Arona x Wandy was literally circle, circle, weak inside leg kick and takedown. That's his style, and generally when you have your way, you don't get tired.

I think it is definitely one of them. Jon Jones' run to the 205-pound title is up there too, including his wins afterwards.

I've never seen anyone try to discredit Shogun, but saying a 15 minute match isn't tiring just because you won and were on top is completely ridiculous.

What nonsense. You must have dug deep to find these people that ''discredit'' Shoguns GP run because this board consists of 99.9% Shogun nuthuggers. So congrats on your horrible thread.

I'm jot sure where you think you read such claims, TS. No one says that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back