Social Pretending to be or being useless - curse or life hack

Nameless King

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Well, we all know people in our surroundings be it work or within colleagues who are either less performing, less caring or thinking slowly.

I noticed people cutting a lot of slack towards these people and would very rarely rely on them in different situations. It especially funny when I see a top performer dropping a ball to his usual standards and immediately he receives lot of criticism where person with dont care attitude is not even mentioned.

Do you know people like that, or perhaps you are one of them yourself? How it looks from your perspective?

yeah myself

could not work in trades because of this, no cutting slack in trades

A benefit in the short term a bad thing in the long term. It's better to be held to a high standard and not meet expectations sometimes than to never go far at all. For example, the top UFC fighter who's had a bad night is still praised by their fans. When all is said and done, folks will remember the fighter's dominant reign and they'll have a great legacy, no one's gonna care that they had a few bad nights or so.

It especially funny when I see a top performer dropping a ball to his usual standards and immediately he receives lot of criticism where person with dont care attitude is not even mentioned.

They aren't really mentioned any other time either, for a performer that's the worse fate you can have.

A girl I work with at the prison always acts like she can't do things and tries to get the other officers to do it for her. Waste of air..

Most of the C-level execs and VPs at my firm demonstrate this behaviour on a daily basis.

Well, we all know people in our surroundings be it work or within colleagues who are either less performing, less caring or thinking slowly.

I noticed people cutting a lot of slack towards these people and would very rarely rely on them in different situations. It especially funny when I see a top performer dropping a ball to his usual standards and immediately he receives lot of criticism where person with dont care attitude is not even mentioned.

Do you know people like that, or perhaps you are one of them yourself? How it looks from your perspective?

Why would you want to be that kind of person? Why do you think this would be desirable ?

I don't think anyone is capable of being in top form daily. Its impossible actually.

There are to many factors that go into top form of yourself mentally and physically.

Full sleep: without it your brain can't clear out the bullshit from neurons firing off all day. Leaving one foggy minded.

Diet: eating is a key factor to mental readiness. Unfortunately different food can have different effects. Most working class folks dont eat for the brain. They eat for love of what they are eating.

Exercise: exercise can greatly increase mental ability however, it can also limit capacity to think for hours after a grueling workout. Not exercising at all can have a similar effect.

My point is there are too many factors involved for anyone to be the best form of them selves every moment of every day.

Working everyday with a fake useless SOB.

Cant do that
This thing im not comfortable with
Dont like this job
This is too hard
I can’t understand this

I can’t believe I put this SOB to work with me.

I think it could be a life hack depending on the circumstances - if your useless, but still able to do just enough to keep your job, you can make it through an entire career wallowing (or perhaps relishing depending on perspective) obscurity.

When I worked for the provincial government, I would say 50% of long term employees fell into this category. Too useless to assign real tasks to, but too much seniority to try and have them fired given the power of the union.

I actually have the worst of both worlds. I am exceptionally good at a handful of things, but useless in the vast majority. Because I excel in certain areas, people sort of just assume that I am capable and comfortable working outside of my bubble. This is the farthest from the truth - I am woefully bad at most general life skills, particularly in areas where men are supposed to excel. I am not handy at all, can't cook, know jack shit about cars or tools, and struggle with trying to assemble things (that aren't electronics).

I work with this guy that's a cool ass dude but he's not smart at all and doesn't put in much effort at work. Instead of planning ahead or taking care of things on his own, he waits until people start complaining or his supervisor has to tell him what to do directly. Then at that point he always has to go lean on this other guy in the shop that's smarter than him but they're buddies.

We had a guy get hired into the shop as our lead and he sucked ass and wasn't a people person. So the supervisor prepped the dumb ass guy at work for the job because he was the only one in the shop doing this specific type of work. Later on when it came interview time, we had this really good employee who interviewed against the dumb ass but since the dumb ass got prepped by the supervisor, he beat the good guy in the interview and got the spot.

Now our supervisor left and no one wants to be supervisor because you can do 2 hours of overtime a month and make the same amount as the supervisor without all the headaches. Well the dumb ass is starting to feel the heat because he's being relied on for more technical work and he can't do it. So he's applying for the supervisor spot and he will most likely get it because no one else will put in for it. Good on him I guess but bad for business because our most incompetent guy got moved from grunt to supervisor due to them just wanting a butt in the seat instead of the right guy.

When I worked for the provincial government, I would say 50% of long term employees fell into this category. Too useless to assign real tasks to, but too much seniority to try and have them fired given the power of the union.

Still better than my federal government workplace back in the day. We could've fired 80% of the staff and had the remainder work at about 50% of my maximum abilities and still gotten all our work done with time to spare. I could literally do an entire day's worth of work in well under an hour and spend the rest of my shift trading the markets on my computer.

My problem is pretty much everyone other than my dad assumes I'm competent and expects me to pull off miracles on a regular basis. I've gotten very good at saying NO and PAY ME. I've also received a lot of complaints about my "attitude problem" since I actually demand to be paid for doing extra work to fix other people's fuckups.

giphy.gif

I feel like many if not most people who intend to do this eventually find themselves in a place where it's no longer pretend

My gerandmother was a 5 time champ on jeopardy the most im7portant thing she ever taught me was tbay it takes. Rains to play stupif

This is how all financial CEOs act when their company gets caught doing incredibly illegal things.

The examples are endless

“mE DiDNt KnOwZ WuT WaZ HaPPeNiNG”

like the head honcho at Wells Fargo when they were creating fake accounts left and right

Last edited:
I work with this guy that's a cool ass dude but he's not smart at all and doesn't put in much effort at work. Instead of planning ahead or taking care of things on his own, he waits until people start complaining or his supervisor has to tell him what to do directly. Then at that point he always has to go lean on this other guy in the shop that's smarter than him but they're buddies.

We had a guy get hired into the shop as our lead and he sucked ass and wasn't a people person. So the supervisor prepped the dumb ass guy at work for the job because he was the only one in the shop doing this specific type of work. Later on when it came interview time, we had this really good employee who interviewed against the dumb ass but since the dumb ass got prepped by the supervisor, he beat the good guy in the interview and got the spot.

Now our supervisor left and no one wants to be supervisor because you can do 2 hours of overtime a month and make the same amount as the supervisor without all the headaches. Well the dumb ass is starting to feel the heat because he's being relied on for more technical work and he can't do it. So he's applying for the supervisor spot and he will most likely get it because no one else will put in for it. Good on him I guess but bad for business because our most incompetent guy got moved from grunt to supervisor due to them just wanting a butt in the seat instead of the right guy.

Uncle Black Paladin is giving you a life lesson: Get the fuck out of there. Even if your Dad is the owner of the company.

I forgot to answer.
It is a life hack.
The dude who I talked about in my first post?

He is all about not doing what he doesn’t want to(even if it is part of his job description) and make just enough to pass the day.
He doesn’t care if people think he is stupid,weak,lazy,incompetent,useless as long as he does just enough to pass through the day.

He just waits and find someone who feel sorry about him To help him out.

I can’t do that,even if I clearly can see that it is beneficial to those who live like that.

I forgot to answer.
It is a life hack.
The dude who I talked about in my first post?

He is all about not doing what he doesn’t want to(even if it is part of his job description) and make just enough to pass the day.
He doesn’t care if people think he is stupid,weak,lazy,incompetent,useless as long as he does just enough to pass through the day.

He just waits and find someone who feel sorry about him To help him out.

I can’t do that,even if I clearly can see that it is beneficial to those who live like that.
Damn, on one hand I feel like its stupid to not have the slightest bit of pride in your work, regardless of what kind of job it is. But if he can get away with it.....maybe hes the genius and I'm the stupid one for working harder than I need to.

This is something Ive seen first hand too. One coworker get super self righteous and blow themselves over how hard they work every day(criticizing me over literal bullshit) so I got fed up and said "congrats, so how much more money do you make than me? Oh..........none right? Were still paid the same?"

the look on their face was hilarious.

Damn, on one hand I feel like its stupid to not have the slightest bit of pride in your work, regardless of what kind of job it is. But if he can get away with it.....maybe hes the genius and I'm the stupid one for working harder than I need to.
There’s no honor or glory in being the useless guy nobody relies on or depends on. In the end that person will never actually have peace. All praise to Elohim.

There’s no honor or glory in being the useless guy nobody relies on or depends on. In the end that person will never actually have peace. All praise to Elohim.
IMO it really depends on the job/career field. I've definitely had jobs in the past were you could bust your ass every single second of every shift and be the biggest overachiever in the world, and it wouldn't do you a damn bit of good. Wasted time and energy.

Back