Social Pretending to be or being useless - curse or life hack

IMO it really depends on the job/career field. I've definitely had jobs in the past were you could bust your ass every single second of every shift and be the biggest overachiever in the world, and it wouldn't do you a damn bit of good. Wasted time and energy.
Hard work is never wasted and doing things to impress others is a sure fire way to end up unhappy. Your reward should should come from within.

He doesn’t care if people think he is stupid,weak,lazy,incompetent,useless as long as he does just enough to pass through the day.

Someone like this would be the first person who they let go of if a company ever downsizes.

Reminds me of Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Ray convinces Robert to horribly botch the invitation for his wedding so that his fiancé will think he’s terrible at such things and will give him no subsequent responsibilities in planning the event.

I think some tactics are strategies- like feigning you know or are capable of less than you actually are so that when you deliver beyond the expectation, you look better. Or feigning incompetence in order to get out of doing something.

Of course in other cases someone just lacks the requisite skills, knowledge, motivation, what have you. Those type of things can be worked on.

As others have said, it's short term reward and long term failure. This is all dependent on the upward mobility of your current career obviously, but I would even argue that you should put in a good effort even at dead end jobs.

Don't break your back for a dead end gig, but you never know who you might work with/for in the future and people remember shit bags.

We got this guy at work who's been in the US for 35 fucking years from Mexico and can't fucking speak English. The bosses give up trying to talk to him when giving him work to do so they call someone else to do it.

Someone like this would be the first person who they let go of if a company ever downsizes.
Its a Japanese company,they praise themselves as they NEVER fire a employee.
They may send someone to a worst job position or a place where he will may give up and that’s all.

what pisses me off is that I give the guy the position.
I brought him in, recommended to the management, served as translator ,even went with him to doctors when he said he was “allergic” to certain substances used in our work(logically the doctors said that that kind of allergies doesn’t exist) and I stayed quiet about it with the bosses.

And as soon as he took conscience he was secured his true face came out.

And now i feel like a complete idiot every single day.

They may send someone to a worst job position or a place where he will may give up and that’s all

Yea, I heard of that. I take it you're Japanese?

I brought him in, recommended to the management, served as translator ,even went with him to doctors when he said he was “allergic” to certain substances used in our work(logically the doctors said that that kind of allergies doesn’t exist) and I stayed quiet about it with the bosses.

I wouldn't blame you for snitching.

They may send someone to a worst job position or a place where he will may give up and that’s all.

And as soon as he took conscience he was secured his true face came out.

And now i feel like a complete idiot every single day.

This is why you need to start putting laxatives in his food & drinks.

Yea, I heard of that. I take it you're Japanese?

I wouldn't blame you for snitching.
Half Japanese.

And im not the snitching type...i wish i was though ...but after more then 5 years I don’t think it would make any difference.

He would just change the excuse from “I can’t work with that” to “I don’t know/remember how to work with that”.

If I gave my word I'd show up and get work done, well then that's what the fuck is gonna happen. I give 100% with everything I do.

I'm a top performer here, and with all the turnover I'm surrounded by lazy idiots. No sense or work ethic.

Lack of sleep has be all over the place because now everyone feels it is appropriate to Skype me whenever or schedule conference calls all day because I work at night. These folks were all kept busy with physical office distractions before but now they are bored and home and trying to stay busy. I wish they would leave me out of the loop.

Do you know people like that, or perhaps you are one of them yourself?

I have worked with, and still work with, many people who are completely fucking useless. Some just pretend to be. But we have a guy, whose entire job is simply running the MS Exchange server. He doesn’t even know the IP address of the server. I don’t even think he knows the name of it. His entire job is literally data entry to create email accounts, and calling MS support to have them remote in and do whatever configuration or troubleshooting needs to be done.

I could never be useless or even pretend to be useless, even if it made my job easier and I got paid more. At some point in life, you have to ask yourself, “How do I want to be remembered by the people who have met me?” Well, fucking retarded just ain’t it.

I have worked with, and still work with, many people who are completely fucking useless. Some just pretend to be. But we have a guy, whose entire job is simply running the MS Exchange server. He doesn’t even know the IP address of the server. I don’t even think he knows the name of it. His entire job is literally data entry to create email accounts, and calling MS support to have them remote in and do whatever configuration or troubleshooting needs to be done.

I could never be useless or even pretend to be useless, even if it made my job easier and I got paid more. At some point in life, you have to ask yourself, “How do I want to be remembered by the people who have met me?” Well, fucking retarded just ain’t it.

Well if hard work were rewarding then different story. Fair. But when you got company who pays everyone equally, no incentives for high performers then what can you expect?

If I'm understanding this right, I'm kind of that way when in a new social situations.

I don't really feel the need to essentially "show my cards" until I get a good read of everyone else involved. Do the same when playing sports.

You should always do good work. You never know who will notice, and also it's just a good habit to build.

You will subconsciously become accustomed to getting shit done and once you do, life becomes a lot easier because whatever situation comes your way is no big deal to you, while the lazy people stress about everything. They're like "ah shit, now I gotta do xyz" and they'll procrastinate for days and stress over it. When a hard-working person gets it done in 30 minutes and then lives stress free because it's done.

I used to go to this small gym with only 1 employee working the counter. Usually they just sat there playing on their phones all day since there was no boss around.

One day I went in and the employee that was on duty was out on the floor wiping down machines with disinfecting wipes, then he went and picked up the weight plates and put them back on the racks in order, then he started cleaning the mirrors. For my entire workout the guy was doing things to make the gym better even though his boss would never have any idea.

After I saw this dude do the same thing 3 or 4 times, I offered him a job. He worked for me for about a year before he moved out of state and I paid him a lot more than he made at the gym.

So yeah it pays to do good work even when you think it won't help you.

Well if hard work were rewarding then different story. Fair. But when you got company who pays everyone equally, no incentives for high performers then what can you expect?
High performers who can be relied on to be on time and get shit done will always have value in the workplace. Those are the people who typically (not always I guess) get promotions and raises. Also your job won't be looking for reasons to fire you. The lazy ones sometimes the boss is just looking for a reason to get rid of them.

I expect to be promoted. If not, it’s off to the next job.

You should always do good work. You never know who will notice, and also it's just a good habit to build.

You will subconsciously become accustomed to getting shit done and once you do, life becomes a lot easier because whatever situation comes your way is no big deal to you, while the lazy people stress about everything. They're like "ah shit, now I gotta do xyz" and they'll procrastinate for days and stress over it. When a hard-working person gets it done in 30 minutes and then lives stress free because it's done.

I used to go to this small gym with only 1 employee working the counter. Usually they just sat there playing on their phones all day since there was no boss around.

One day I went in and the employee that was on duty was out on the floor wiping down machines with disinfecting wipes, then he went and picked up the weight plates and put them back on the racks in order, then he started cleaning the mirrors. For my entire workout the guy was doing things to make the gym better even though his boss would never have any idea.

After I saw this dude do the same thing 3 or 4 times, I offered him a job. He worked for me for about a year before he moved out of state and I paid him a lot more than he made at the gym.

So yeah it pays to do good work even when you think it won't help you.
Correct on all points. I derped around doing menial bullshit and retail most of my life. Always gave 100% even though I hated the job.

Now I'm at a job based on measured and tracked productivity. Once I got back in shape, I gradually became the best in my job function on my shift. Making more money with better raises and benefits than any job I've ever had.

And the biggest stressor there for me, is navigating around lazy morons. The actual job is a breeze because I've been training myself to work in an environment like this my entire life.

Back