Prayer? Meditation? Something else?

In before the buffet line Christians come in and try to shuffle this off as not the word of their god. They pick and choose what to follow only by what suits them. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. Not just believing in utter nonsense... But picking and choosing which nonsense to believe out of the very clear print written in their Holy Books.

Very odd indeed. The only real Christians I've seen are the Westboro. As batshit crazy as they are, I at least respect the fact they haven't deviated from what that religion teaches and bowed down to Pop Culture.

Solid post

Nothing wrong with prayer or evaluating long-held stances/beliefs. That's how people grow. If you are indeed sincere, I wish you the best.

That's how I feel as well. We should always be willing to consider other viewpoints and to open ourselves up to the possibility that we could be wrong. I have changed my mind about a lot of things over the years. That's why I'm not fanatical about many things anymore.

I'm not sure how praying to something you don't believe in is going to help. You're supposed to pray IF you believe someone is listening...

If you're praying only because you want someone to listen, that is a backward kind of logic that leads only to further inner turmoil.

A good Christian, cannot be a good person.

A good Christian would have to be stoning to death any atheists they come across, if their neighbor is an atheist they better stone them to death. Its meant to be taken literally.

Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die[/I]

Tolerance, of outdated and fucking immoral beliefs like this hold us back as a species.

No, that's your definition of a good Christian. You should learn context a little before you post Biblical passages and that would help by actually reading the book. The core of Deuteronomy is the Biblical covenant with binds Yahweh and Israel by oaths of fidelity and obedience. They were traveling for years in the desert before God gave them that land. That was specific to the time and situation which they were in. It was a binding Covenant between God and the Israelites. I've never been to a church gathering where a lamb was slaughtered either because those were ceremonial laws which were outdated.

Where did the phrase "Good Christian" appear in my post?

I said I know many good people if different faiths. Some of the best people I know are Christian and follow the teachings of Christ.

Sorry the people you know suck.

Dude, my point is you cannot be a GOOD Christian, and a good person.

A good Christian would support/not be opposed to slavery for example.

Practicing a religion is like putting your dick in the toaster, things were a lot better when you could still jerkoff.

No, that's your definition of a good Christian. You should learn context a little before you post Biblical passages and that would help by actually reading the book. The core of Deuteronomy is the Biblical covenant with binds Yahweh and Israel by oaths of fidelity and obedience. They were traveling for years in the desert before God gave them that land. That was specific to the time and situation which they were in. It was a binding Covenant between God and the Israelites.

lol, here they come 76... Right on time.

No, that's your definition of a good Christian. You should learn context a little before you post Biblical passages and that would help by actually reading the book. The core of Deuteronomy is the Biblical covenant with binds Yahweh and Israel by oaths of fidelity and obedience. They were traveling for years in the desert before God gave them that land. That was specific to the time and situation which they were in. It was a binding Covenant between God and the Israelites.

A good Christian would follow the word of the Bible.....

How the fuck are you not understanding this?

When do you ever see people that are well off or happy turn to religion? It's always people that are down in the dumps that have lost everything. It's their only way out.

This really isn't true at all. In fact, I've seen a lot of the opposite in my lifetime. When times are good there's lots of "Praise the Lord!" going on but when the tough times hit people start to get angry and move away from the idea of God.

And then you have the truly faithful, who stay diligent regardless of what happens. My guess is you haven't spent a lot of time on religious communities because of you had, you'd know this.

Its fucking futile.

I guess i can't blame them, that's the result of being indoctrinated as a child.

It would help if you had any reading comprehension. I said I grew up in religion but I don't practice or push religion to others. I have read the book though so I can critique it but I don't think it's proper for a person to critique anything they haven't read.

A good Christian, cannot be a good person.

A good Christian would have to be stoning to death any atheists they come across, if their neighbor is an atheist they better stone them to death. Its meant to be taken literally.

Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die[/I]

Tolerance, of outdated and fucking immoral beliefs like this hold us back as a species.

A failure to recognize that The Bible (particularly the OT) is not solely the purported revelations of the divine but also the history of a people through a relatively brutal time in human history AND a how-to guide on getting along for everyone in that society. Greatest common denominator kind of stuff.

A good Christian need follow the Ten Commandments bearing this in mind: Love God with all your being and love your neighbor as you do yourself. There's actually a pretty famous bit that Jesus did about stoning and not so much liking it.

A good Christian would follow the word of the Bible.....

How the fuck are you not understanding this?

But the context, man! :)

That renders plain, simple English null and void and allows for open interpretation. lol.

And really don't look at the that shit about Noah's Ark, where one man corralled every single species of plant, animal, microbe, etc on planet earth onto one big boat. That's um... open for interpretation as well. As is the reason for the Ark, in which their God just didn't really like how Humans were being Human, so he murdered every Man, Woman and Child in an extremely violent fashion.

That's all just a big misunderstanding.

This thread hits close to home. I was raised Christian and had a particularly strong faith during my teens. But then I ran into many of the questions that people often do about Christianity and my doubts built up to the point that I walked away and now consider myself agnostic.

But I never did totally lose interest in the subject of spirituality. I have always left open the possibility that there could be a supreme being and an afterlife. That is, there could be a much deeper meaning to our existence than is apparent on the surface.

I've considered joining a fairly left-leaning Episcopal church here in Salt Lake. I've met with the priest and it's the kind of place that welcomes questions and questioning. It seems like perhaps a good place to explore these greater questions without feeling pressured to believe any certain thing and to believe it NOW.

One thing I definitely believe is that one should never feel hesitant to explore these kinds of things. After all, what's the worst that could happen? You find something that makes sense to you? Or you find nothing but at least had some interesting experiences along the way?

I've found it quite amazing how the people who love to label themselves as "rational, free thinking skeptics" are some of the most closeminded individuals I've seen, and they usually bury themselves in the writings of Harris, Hitchens, and/or Dawkins, parroting those mens' points of view.

Rational people can look at the same evidence presented to us in the cross-sectional moment in time that is our lives and disagree on the outcome.

wow, stellar comeback. That's not how a debate works.

There's really not much to debate. It's all right there in your Bible...

SD8wFIF.png

Sky man is responsible for all the good that happens to you but none of the bad. That's on you. Fucking deal with it.

Back