PPV numbers for Khabib/Tony and Conor/Al?

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Assume they are separate cards and both these events headline and their undercards are of equal strength. How many buys do each get?

Other than "tree fiddy" of course. Just curious where you now put the buying power of Khabib and Conor by themselves after 229 has come and gone. Obviously a rematch would do the highest sheer PPV numbers for both men but let's try and set that spectacle aside. So neither guy gets help from the other to boost their baseline drawing power.

I don't think it is controversial at all to say we can assume Khabib's baseline has likely moved WAY up since 229 and Conor's baseline (likely) moved a bit down since 229. Only so many times you can market champ champ or other imaginary things before the casuals start to get wise. At this point (most witnessed UFC event ever) even casuals would make fun of a guy using "Conor is double champ" at the water cooler so the UFC would have to pull back its marketing hyperbole a bit.

Khabib vs Tony does 600k
Conor vs Aiquinta does 900k

Who the fuck wants to see Conor vs Al?

Conor vs Max or Diaz is where the $$$$ is at.

Khabib vs Tony does 600k
Conor vs Aiquinta does 900k
Good guess. Hmm Conor is the hard one to predict I think. For reference, him vs Chad was 825k. That had the Aldo build-up/interim belt behind it/but was also before he was truly a mainstream superstar.

Him vs Al would be the first non-title/non-Diaz fight and the first non-rematch-off-a-loss fight since he became a star. So really hard to guess.

Oh and one more thing I should have added to the OP... ASSUME THE MARKETING IS EQUAL BY THE UFC. So they promote Khabib/Tony just as much as they do Conor/Al. If they really pumped advertising (like any Conor fight) into it obviously Khabib/Tony gets more buys than it otherwise would.

Who the fuck wants to see Conor vs Al?

Conor vs Max or Diaz is where the $$$$ is at.
The fight was rumored man, don't know what to tell you. Obviously nothing is certain.

I'd say about even.
Hard to tell but they could be in the same neighborhood yeah.

Good guess. Hmm Conor is the hard one to predict I think. For reference, him vs Chad was 825k. That had the Aldo build-up/interim belt behind it/but was also before he was truly a mainstream superstar.

Him vs Al would be the first non-title/non-Diaz fight and the first non-rematch-off-a-loss fight since he became a star. So really hard to guess.

Oh and one more thing I should have added to the OP... ASSUME THE MARKETING IS EQUAL BY THE UFC. So they promote Khabib/Tony just as much as they do Conor/Al. If they really pumped advertising (like any Conor fight) into it obviously Khabib/Tony gets more.

The fight was rumored man, don't know what to tell you. Obviously nothing is certain.

I seriously doubt it bro. I don’t think Conor has many fights left tbh, and will be looking to make as much $$$ as possible.

Time will tell, obviously I would still watch :p

I seriously doubt it bro. I don’t think Conor has many fights left tbh, and will be looking to make as much $$$ as possible.

Time will tell, obviously I would still watch :p
I hear ya. PERSONALLY if I could pick it would be Max @ 145. I know the $ is bigger there but also assume Conor doesn't want to go back down there. I'm over the idea of a Diaz trilogy. No thanks.

If you assume he stays at 155 though Al is probably the best choice. The fight itself would be intriguing too (to me at least).

Conor vs Al could get to 1 mill or close enough.
Khabib vs Tony probs does 600k which is sad considering the match up

Conor vs Al could get to 1 mill or close enough.
Khabib vs Tony probs does 600k which is sad considering the match up
Just a guess but I don't think Conor/Al breaks 1M mark (unless the undercard is massive and does a boost). Again... hard to guess. Who knows though... we know what we'll get from Conor on the promotional side but maybe Al injects extra interest during the build-up as well. Yeah though don't see it topping 1M.

I hear you on Tony/Khabib likely getting undersold. My main concern is they don't promote it enough. If they put what they should into it you could drum up a ton of casual interest. Longest streaks in UFC history vs each other. Tony's highlight reel. Endless cardio vs endless pressure. #1 and #2 all-time LWs for supremacy. Blah blah blah. Play the hardcore fans want this angle up.

Make the casuals not want to be seen as casuals/want to be part of the in-crowd.
Use the phrase "real MMA fans have wanted this more than anything" a few times, etc.

Just a guess but I don't think Conor/Al breaks 1M mark (unless the undercard is massive and does a boost). Again... hard to guess. Who knows though... we know what we'll get from Conor on the promotional side but maybe Al injects extra interest during the build-up as well. Yeah though don't see it topping 1M.
You have Al who's a rocky like figure, talks shit and has stuck it to the UFC. A good boxer with heart for days and doesn't mince words or hold back so he'll engage with Conor in trash talk. Conor is Conor and he'll always bring in numbers. I'm willing to bet Al won't take Conor's shit and something is likely to pop off between them and that'll boost the numbers maybe lol. A solid undercard is needed for sure tho

Conor would get over 1 million buys if he was shadow boxing in the main event.

Khabib vs Tony 600k (Tony hurts PPV buys if his name is on the Main Event sorry to say that)

Conor vs Al 1.1 mill (Conor needs a win can't lose 3 in a row and still have that guaranteed 1 mill PPVs)

Conor would get over 1 million buys if he was shadow boxing in the main event.
Nah. I think your reading of casuals today is a bit off. I might be wrong, who knows. If they gave him an obvious tune-up fight against a non-ranked LW with no undercard of note no chance in hell it cracks 1M IMO.

Do you get a cut?

I’ll let you in on a secret. UFC 236. Khabib. Tony. GSP. Conor.

Mcgregor vs al probably breaks 2 million maybe 1.5 at worse
Mcgregor is so big I feel some of you don’t understand.
They will build it as his redemption
Also no way it does under a million that is beyond retarded
People will watch to see if he can come back
A khabib rematch imo breaks 3 million especially if they both win there next fights
Khabib vs Ferguson 400k at best maybe 500k
Gsp never broke a million no way Ferguson does
Khabib is big for now but most of his fans are Russian who he himself said don’t pay ppv and Muslims who let’s be honest aren’t putting there hands in there pockets
The rest are mcgregor haters who don’t really care about him when mcgregor is not involved

Conor vs Al should headline the prelims of khabibs next ppv

Back