powerlifting question

triggertap79

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am considering starting a powerlifting routine but I am unsure if it's the right way for me to go. My goals are basically to gain strength and not gain any more weight. I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. and I don't want to get any bigger. I actually wouldn't mind losing about ten lbs. Should I do a powerlifting routine?

triggertap79 said:
I am considering starting a powerlifting routine but I am unsure if it's the right way for me to go. My goals are basically to gain strength and not gain any more weight. I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. and I don't want to get any bigger. I actually wouldn't mind losing about ten lbs. Should I do a powerlifting routine?

Growing bigger is not an easy thing first off... well for most people. That takes a lot of eating. If nothing else, keep your reps really low and weight really high. Strength without a lot of growth as strength and size are not mutually inclusive. (Although there is some crossover) Shoot, google Bob Peoples.

Oh and fuck anyone who says things like deadlifts and squats have no carryover to grappling.

Lower reps and heigher weight seems to be the best. I don't think "powerlifting" may be the best thing to lose weight but weight training could certainly help. Throw in a bit of cardio if you dare.

Edit: Orange belt!

Go for it. Just maintain your caloric intake and you won't get any bigger.

Powerlifting is overated. One needs to strength train and train conditioning as well. Kettlebells and Clubbells can do the job quite nicely.

BabyPhenom said:
Go for it. Just maintain your caloric intake and you won't get any bigger.

Agreed! As stated, lift heavy, use low reps and minimize fatigue!

Back