1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

powerlifting question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by triggertap79, Aug 26, 2005.

1. triggertap79

triggertap79 Green Belt

I am considering starting a powerlifting routine but I am unsure if it's the right way for me to go. My goals are basically to gain strength and not gain any more weight. I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. and I don't want to get any bigger. I actually wouldn't mind losing about ten lbs. Should I do a powerlifting routine?

2. Sean S

Sean S Brown Belt

Growing bigger is not an easy thing first off... well for most people. That takes a lot of eating. If nothing else, keep your reps really low and weight really high. Strength without a lot of growth as strength and size are not mutually inclusive. (Although there is some crossover) Shoot, google Bob Peoples.

Oh and fuck anyone who says things like deadlifts and squats have no carryover to grappling.

3. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

Lower reps and heigher weight seems to be the best. I don't think "powerlifting" may be the best thing to lose weight but weight training could certainly help. Throw in a bit of cardio if you dare.

Edit: Orange belt!

4. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Go for it. Just maintain your caloric intake and you won't get any bigger.

5. Duncon76

Duncon76 Blue Belt

Powerlifting is overated. One needs to strength train and train conditioning as well. Kettlebells and Clubbells can do the job quite nicely.

6. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Agreed! As stated, lift heavy, use low reps and minimize fatigue!