Powerade & Dieting

MadMerc

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to drop weight and keep my energy level/strength etc.

I'm doing cardio everyday and was wondering what you guys thought of sport drinks like Powerade?

Is it better to just drink water?

I usually feel better from drinking Powerade after some cardio but I wonder if me feeling better is a bad thing when losing weight.

Any info is much appreciated.

Carbs during and/or after exercise is better than plain water. Powerade also has electrolytes which will help with recovery. Adding protein to that drink would be ideal, and would probably further help your weight loss while maintaining strength/muscle.
You should read this article:

Workout Nutrition - Baseline

As a baseline, start by ingesting 30g carbohydrate and 15g protein (in 500ml water) per hour of training. This means if you

If all you're doing is cardio, drink water during and have a meal afterwards, with lean protein (whey, chicken, fish, egg whites, etc.), complex carbohydrates (oatmeal, brown rice, yams, grits, etc.) and a bit of healthy fat (olive oil, flax oil, nuts, etc.).

If you're trying to burn fat, the carbohydrate in "sports drinks" will inhibit lipolysis (fat burning).

If all you're doing is cardio, drink water during and have a meal afterwards, with lean protein (whey, chicken, fish, egg whites, etc.), complex carbohydrates (oatmeal, brown rice, yams, grits, etc.) and a bit of healthy fat (olive oil, flax oil, nuts, etc.).

If you're trying to burn fat, the carbohydrate in "sports drinks" will inhibit lipolysis (fat burning).

ok, now I'm confused.

What type of training does someone need to do before they actually need to drink a sport drink?

Or is sports drinks totally bad for someone trying to lose weight?

ok, now I'm confused.

What type of training does someone need to do before they actually need to drink a sport drink?

Or is sports drinks totally bad for someone trying to lose weight?

Drinking a sports drink is NOT necessary unless you are doing strenuous cardio or you are in a high heat climate (lots of sweating). I run long distance and do not need "energy" drinks unless I am sweating profusely. Taking in sugar (about 14 grams per serving in Gatorade / Powerade) will inhibit weight loss. That is fact. Your body will use the sugar for fuel instead of fat (not to say you won't lose fat- just not as much as possible). Skip the sports drink and just drink plenty of water.

Yeah, stick with water...maybe a handful of nuts before your workout...BCAA's and you sir will be a WINNNNNNER

Yeah, stick with water...maybe a handful of nuts before your workout...BCAA's and you sir will be a WINNNNNNER

Ok the water, I can understand. I've always had that idea in my head.

But why the handful of nuts? I thought it was suppost to be 1 apple after the workout for carbs and a protein drink.

Nuts, I'm thinking health fat to avoid protein poisoning. But why before the cardio workout?

there is a lot of books out on your kind of questions bro! you should just look some up at a library or maybe even pick one up at a bookstore and read the thing there! there is no right or wrong answers you should try different things and see what works best for you!

Drinking a sports drink is NOT necessary unless you are doing strenuous cardio or you are in a high heat climate (lots of sweating). I run long distance and do not need "energy" drinks unless I am sweating profusely. Taking in sugar (about 14 grams per serving in Gatorade / Powerade) will inhibit weight loss. That is fact. Your body will use the sugar for fuel instead of fat (not to say you won't lose fat- just not as much as possible). Skip the sports drink and just drink plenty of water.

This is terrible advice based on what you said earlier about following the workout immediately with food. In-terms of caloric surplus, this:

drink water during and have a meal afterwards, with lean protein (whey, chicken, fish, egg whites, etc.), complex carbohydrates (oatmeal, brown rice, yams, grits, etc.) and a bit of healthy fat (olive oil, flax oil, nuts, etc.).

Far surpasses a half a bottle of Powerade, or a full bottle. And caloric surplus is the basis of whether or not the body burns fat.

Bottom line? After ANY remotely athletic workout where sweating is involved, a drink such as this is not a hindrance. The workout will likely burn far more calories, electrolytes, and glycogen that will even be replaced by the drink.

There's not really a such thing as improper post-workout nutrition.

Back