• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

*** Power Slap Championship Discussion MEGA THREAD ***Power Slap 7 Friday April 12 9pm EST

Do you love or hate Power Slap (Fighting)?

• Total voters
Sorry, I broke character for a second there. But just for a second. I'm back on deck. Where my hotdog brander at??!?!? Huh?? You hear me, universe??? Where's my FUCKEN white power slap hot dog FUCKEN brander???

stone-cold.gif

Yes, but fighting is a contest that involves a lot more than simply getting hit in the head. There is even the option to barely ever get hit in the head. The KO is not the most frequent way of winning. And you never just stand there and brace for a man to wind up and hit you his absolute hardest, with the express goal of hurting your brain. You have defense.

Here, idiots just stand up in one spot and let a guy throw his hardest possible strike at them. There is no ducking and weaving, ducking under for a take down.... your brain gets no rest. If you somehow survive the first slap, you have 60 seconds before the next one. By the third slap, even if you didn't go unconscious, you may have taken as much brain trauma as in a 15 minute fight, depending on fight style.

Fighting is an art where brain trauma MAY NOT come into the equation (of course, it often does). Slap "fighting" is a contest, but not an art, where brain trauma IS the ENTIRE equation.

Maybe they could change it to be more of a quick draw contest.

1. All slaps start with hands at your sides. No measuring or warm up swings. Quick draw.
2. The person getting slapped can flinch, duck, etc but no moving the feet.

This would simulate real life slapping situations where you don't get to measure out your slap. It would also somewhat solve the advantage of the first slap because they'd have to sacrifice power for speed and accuracy. It's a little too easy for the bigger dudes to completely roach someone when the jaw is served up on a plate.

If this is the extent of Dana's "creativity," this new show will last as long as his Surf League for sure!

I can't believe so many MMA fans are taking the high road in regards to another combat sport. The 2 primary points of opposition are: 1) no defense, 2) high CTE potential. You are some hypocritical mofo's. Are you all just in denial about what you are watching?

In the very first televised UFC fight, I saw a guy eat an unblocked roundhouse kick to the face while he was sitting on his ass. Teeth went flying, we were hooked, and it was because of the violence. Some of the injuries I've seen in MMA since then:

A crushed forehead. A couple lost eyeballs. At least one digit amputated. Multiple broken orbitals. Smashed noses on the regular. Multiple broken arms. Several broken legs. Dislocations of practically every joint on the body. Canyon like lacerations. Mountainous hematomas. Countless people rendered unconscious by concussion or strangulation. Anyone's guess as to how many of the guys are on the road to CTE.

How does someone accept these injuries as part of the sport; and at the same time look at another sport and say "that's too damaging and dangerous?"

We don't jump out of our seats over a defended strike. We jump out of our seat when Kamaru eats an unlocked head kick. When Tony eats a flush front kick. When Lewis deads Blaydes and then cracks his corpse 2 more times. We cheer when MVP caves in Santos head. We celebrate Shadface. We meme the shit out of Bisping and Frankie and Rockhold. it's the undefended shots that the masses tune in to see. The Car Crash phenomenon.

Who amongst you John McCain disciples celebrates impenetrable defense by shouting at the tv? None of you. Instead we get on SD and bitch about the lack of finishes and how boring "control time" is.

If it's not your thing, I completely understand. BKB isn't my thing. You wont find me protesting it though, because I see the hypocrisy in that. I am well aware that blood, lacerations, kd's, and Ko's are all part of MMA as well. Same with Slapping; you wont see anything we dont already see in MMA in regards to impact and damage. Rather than let my inner Tipper Gore come out when BKB is on, I just change the station.

There has got to be a better way to see who gets to go first with the slap. The coin toss is shit.

Especially since a lot of these slaps KO their opponent on the first slap.

I suggested the person who weighs in lighter get the option to slap or receive. Scales are damn accurate these days. In the event there is a tie on the scales; give them 1 hour and re-weigh. Adds a bit of strategy and intrigue before the contest even starts.

Reactions: TCE
Maybe they could change it to be more of a quick draw contest.

1. All slaps start with hands at your sides. No measuring or warm up swings. Quick draw.
2. The person getting slapped can flinch, duck, etc but no moving the feet.

This would simulate real life slapping situations where you don't get to measure out your slap. It would also somewhat solve the advantage of the first slap because they'd have to sacrifice power for speed and accuracy. It's a little too easy for the bigger dudes to completely roach someone when the jaw is served up on a plate.

I can't believe so many MMA fans are taking the high road in regards to another combat sport. The 2 primary points of opposition are: 1) no defense, 2) high CTE potential. You are some hypocritical mofo's. Are you all just in denial about what you are watching?

In the very first televised UFC fight, I saw a guy eat an unblocked roundhouse kick to the face while he was sitting on his ass. Teeth went flying, we were hooked, and it was because of the violence. Some of the injuries I've seen in MMA since then:

A crushed forehead. A couple lost eyeballs. At least one digit amputated. Multiple broken orbitals. Smashed noses on the regular. Multiple broken arms. Several broken legs. Dislocations of practically every joint on the body. Canyon like lacerations. Mountainous hematomas. Countless people rendered unconscious by concussion or strangulation. Anyone's guess as to how many of the guys are on the road to CTE.

How does someone accept these injuries as part of the sport; and at the same time look at another sport and say "that's too damaging and dangerous?"

We don't jump out of our seats over a defended strike. We jump out of our seat when Kamaru eats an unlocked head kick. When Tony eats a flush front kick. When Lewis deads Blaydes and then cracks his corpse 2 more times. We cheer when MVP caves in Santos head. We celebrate Shadface. We meme the shit out of Bisping and Frankie and Rockhold. it's the undefended shots that the masses tune in to see. The Car Crash phenomenon.

Who amongst you John McCain disciples celebrates impenetrable defense by shouting at the tv? None of you. Instead we get on SD and bitch about the lack of finishes and how boring "control time" is.

If it's not your thing, I completely understand. BKB isn't my thing. You wont find me protesting it though, because I see the hypocrisy in that. I am well aware that blood, lacerations, kd's, and Ko's are all part of MMA as well. Same with Slapping; you wont see anything we dont already see in MMA in regards to impact and damage. Rather than let my inner Tipper Gore come out when BKB is on, I just change the station.

There has got to be a better way to see who gets to go first with the slap. The coin toss is shit.

Especially since a lot of these slaps KO their opponent on the first slap.
@billiam I like the idea of the quick draw with the hands at the waist but what if the both competitors Slap at the same time for the first slap in the quick draw you described. Both slap on the count of two or they could go off of measure too where both have their hands at the opponents cheek then slap on two from there?

@billiam I like the idea of the quick draw with the hands at the waist but what if the both competitors Slap at the same time for the first slap in the quick draw you described. Both slap on the count of two or they could go off of measure too where both have their hands at the opponents cheek then slap on two from there?
I was thinking they still take turns, getting 15 seconds to slap. Any time within the 15 seconds and with either hand. Kind of like bloody knuckles.

I do kind of like the idea of slapping at the same time for double KO action.

I was thinking they still take turns, getting 15 seconds to slap. Any time within the 15 seconds and with either hand. Kind of like bloody knuckles.

I do kind of like the idea of slapping at the same time for double KO action.
Yeah of course double KO's would be cool but It's more about the fairness. There should be one deciding round both slap at the same time if there is no KO it goes to the judges (judge on power and technique) and that's what decides who goes first. Then start the regular three rounds after that.

This trashy shit isn't lasting.

If some backwater legal jurisdiction brought back facing animals versus humans ala gladiator days, you know Dana White would be there to promote the "athletic competition". And he places the ulmost importance on the safety and well being of the "athletes".

At least Don King had the balls to kick a man to death himself. For shame.

Yeah of course double KO's would be cool but It's more about the fairness. There should be one deciding round both slap at the same time if there is no KO it goes to the judges (judge on power and technique) and that's what decides who goes first. Then start the regular three rounds after that.
It'd be interesting to see the strategies that would come out of this. You'd have to throw a quick slap, no big windups. I really think it'd be an improvement to the current format.

I haven't seen one person besides the UFC shills like cormier even remotely promote or acted like they enjoyed this. I love boxing and MMA but this feels like bum fights or something.

I get your point but with MMA you are at least expected to defend yourself.

MMA is exciting because both guys are trying NOT to get injured, so when KO’s/subs happen it’s crazy and impressive because it takes skills to do that to someone who is trying to prevent that.

KO’ing a guy that stands there and lets you slap him full force is not nearly as entertaining.

Back