• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

power question

Redtarget

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
after sparring today (boxing) Ive been trying new things out and really wanted to get inside and spar one of my training partners up close (maidana style) and do damage.......my concern isnt getting inside or how to keep the position, but I REALLY felt like I couldn't land HARD punches. I landed a lot of short ones but for some reason didn't feel like I could land any of them harder. why is this? I will admit I was very close to him literally like maidana did to mayweather, I wanted to smother him and it worked fine I just couldn't land a big punch. do I need to create space first then punch? or is there any punching tips from close range like that that can help?

It's nearly impossible to accurately describe why you felt you didn't hit very hard without a visual showing exactly what happened.

^This was the first place my brain went.

Also, if you were leaning on your opponent instead of balancing yourself it robs a lot of your power. Make sure your feet are set and your knees are bent next time, bend them enough to where you get worried you're going to fatigue your legs and let some punishment loose. Don't punch him in the balls.

All good points and answers so far.

My addition - try creating some room with the opposite shoulder before throwing. Generating power with little space and while being smothered is very hard and as Sin said, needs a visual breakdown because there are a lot of possible shortcomings.

You need space to create optimal power. That's why taller fighters with longer arms are at a disadvantage too close the longer your arms are the bigger is the distance you need to get 100% power but even if you have short arms you need at least a little bit of space

Back