Posterior chain/ Imbalance

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread I might have a muscle imbalance with a weak posterior chain. I want to develop better posture in the simplest way possible. I train bjj 3-4X per week. I also walk, hike, bike, rock climb, swim, and stretch in moderation. I would like to add a few exercises to help develop my calves, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back.

What exercises would you guys recommend? I don't need any bulk or muscle definition. I'm looking for functional strength, better posture, and injury prevention.

I am joining a club for a couple of months that has a full weight set. I don't really like weights and have lifted very little in my life.

They have an " air rowing machine"? that I would like to try. Maybe some dead lifts, pull ups, exercise ball, calf raises, and low back exercises.

I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. Something that I can integrate into my busy schedule without too much regiment or structure.

Thanks in advance.

(fyi..41 year old Cesar Gracie purple belt, 6'1" 210 lbs...with so called "retard" strength)

There are lots of options for you, but squats (wide stance PL style specifically) and deadlifts should be your bread and butter for a stronger PC. Some other usefull options that won't take much time to learn would be stiff legged deads, good mornings and glute ham raises.

I would recommend doing some circuit training with weights. You can get a great workout very quickly. It will work both cardio and multiple muscle groups simultaneously. Check out this workout by Randy Couture. If you find the right weight for you and follow this video, you will become more athletic overall and reduce your risk of injury. You can view it at World Extreme Fighter.

Bad posture as in lordosis or kyphosis (slouching shoulders or arching lower back). For rounding, they have to do with the erector spinae muscle group that run up and down at the spine. Your imbalance could be the pectoralis minor is very tight and is pulling the shoulders forward. The rhomboids work would help that.

To determine the issue. Lay on your back with knees together and bent. Slowly let the knees lower to the left (without taking your shoulder blades off the ground). Starting with your right hand facing palm up at your right hip. Keep your arm straight and elbow on the ground. Slowly slide the arm from the hip towards your head (keeping the shoulders on the ground). If you can not point the tips of your fingers to 12 o'clock then your pec minors may be pulling your posture out.

You will need to pull the antagonist and protagonist (opposing muscle groups) back in balance. First step is to loosed the tight one.

Supermen on a stability ball with the arms our front, and in a V. Also reverse flies may hit the rhomboids.

Hope this makes sense. It is unfortunately common.

Bad posture as in lordosis or kyphosis (slouching shoulders or arching lower back). For rounding, they have to do with the erector spinae muscle group that run up and down at the spine. Your imbalance could be the pectoralis minor is very tight and is pulling the shoulders forward. The rhomboids work would help that.

To determine the issue. Lay on your back with knees together and bent. Slowly let the knees lower to the left (without taking your shoulder blades off the ground). Starting with your right hand facing palm up at your right hip. Keep your arm straight and elbow on the ground. Slowly slide the arm from the hip towards your head (keeping the shoulders on the ground). If you can not point the tips of your fingers to 12 o'clock then your pec minors may be pulling your posture out.

You will need to pull the antagonist and protagonist (opposing muscle groups) back in balance. First step is to loosed the tight one.

Supermen on a stability ball with the arms our front, and in a V. Also reverse flies may hit the rhomboids.

Hope this makes sense. It is unfortunately common.

Thank you very much.

+1 rhomboid and glut-ham work.

I just wanted to add that when you do work your rhomboids really focus on contracting them right at the end. You have a lot of muscles in your back that might make you think you're performing good rhomboid work when in fact you might not be. Really squeeze your shoulder blades together, you'll feel a nice pinch right between them and usually can't hold the contraction too long if you're just starting out.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back