Post-op Strength Program

milano

I am the Walrus
@Black
Reaction score
Hey guys, so i'm coming off a rotator cuff tear, a fracture to my tibia and two knee surgeries (the last one was about 4 months ago) that has kept me out of action for about 1.5 years and I also won't be able to partake in any sport for about another 5-6 months. The upside of this is that I get 5 or 6 months to really focus on strength and power.

I was cleared by my physiotherapist and my doctor a few weeks ago to resume with squats and deadlifts which I've been doing for the last 3 weeks. I've also been lifting 2-3x a week the last couple of months, mostly bench, overhead press and rows on top of my physio exercises for my knee.

Here are my numbers right now.

bw: 160

SOHP: 165
BP:225

Squat: 261 (up from a max squat of about 135lbs 3 weeks ago)
DL: 355 (up from a max of about 185 3 weeks ago)

anyway my workouts really have no structure to them right now which is something I'd like to change. I'd love to do a SS type program but unfortunately I absolutely 100% need to do unilateral lower body exercise as my left leg is a mess. The next best thing seems to be WS4SB as it includes two days of lower body work which include unilateral exercises on both days.

Anyone have a program that they would recommend over this?

Squat: 261 (up from a max squat of about 135lbs 3 weeks ago)
DL: 355 (up from a max of about 185 3 weeks ago)

I'm not going to claim that I know anything whatsoever about this but be careful that you don't go forward too quickly man. Almost 100% in three weeks coming off severe injure sounds like a lot. Your muscle strength will develop a whole hell of a lot faster than your injured ligaments/tendons/joints.

i'm confused, your PT and doctor cleared to you lift and put up numbers like that but not play ANY sports? have you told them how hard your lifting sessions have been?

i'm confused, your PT and doctor cleared to you lift and put up numbers like that but not play ANY sports? have you told them how hard your lifting sessions have been?

lateral movement and pivoting places a lot more stain on the ACL squatting or deadlifting does. I'm pretty much limited to running in straight lines.

I'd do the push/pull/squat from the FAQ and do unilateral assistance work on squat/dl day.

Also, being that even in healthy, uninjured individuals it's common for muscles to develop a lot faster than joint/tendon strength, I'd start with a very low weight for 5 sets of 5, like 50% of your max, and just add 2.5-5lbs a week until you're back to where you were.

Not sure when the rotator cuff tear was, but how does it feel with the overhead presses?

I would stick to big body movements and maybe even some crossfit-type training (not sure how crossfit is received here).

I feel your pain about knees. (HA!) I've had 10 knee operations on my left knee (had ACL reconstruction in 1990) and now I'm scheduled to have it replaced in October.

Back