Possible to lose weight without exercise?

Wild Dan Hibiki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, during the exam period i wasn't able to go to the gym and do my weight training so what i did to maintain my general conditioning/shape was to watch my diet as thoroughly as possible. Now that my exams are over i've checked out the scale at home and i've dropped from 67kg before the exam to 63kg as of now (not sure if the scale at home is accurate though). So i was wondering, have i like lost muscle during the past few weeks while i haven't been to the gym? I'm not restraining my diet and when i feel hungry i eat. I can't post my diet cause it varies depending on what food there is at home but i haven't been eating any junk food besides on saturdays which is my cheat day. I was planning to stay at atleast 67kg and hopefully move up to 69kg but i guess this is thrown out the window now. Should i up my intake of calories? I wanna stay lean though so i'm gonna get beack into weight training.

I'm confused, and probably you are too.

Tommy Seoul said:
You lost muscle mass.

While you are most likely right, do you not agree that it is possible to lose bodyfat simply by restricting calories?

there's no way to lose that much muscle mass in a few weeks.... 4KG? that's a lot.

So while I will agree that you probably lost SOME muscle mass, I'm guessing you lost a lot more water and fat. Or it could be a fluke, weigh yourself in a week, it might have shot back up.

True too that, i was weighing 220, and running the treadmill like crazy for a month and eating right and dropped down too 207, but I wasn't happy with my physic, because I lost alot of muscle mass, I hit the weights hard again and my weight shot up again.

You guys are also forgetting water. Usually RAPID weight loss is water weight and nothing more. Especially if you're restricting carb-intake. Ketogenic diets for instance produce very quick early results for those who do not exercise routinely or intensely, but it's mostly water weight.

if its water weight or fat, i'm happy. i just dont wanna build my muscle tissue up again cause goddamn it's been a pain in the ass getting this far

Wild Dan Hibiki said:
if its water weight or fat, i'm happy. i just dont wanna build my muscle tissue up again cause goddamn it's been a pain in the ass getting this far
That's odd. I always thought that one's particular weight was meaningless; it is the amount of fat (lower == better) and muscle (highter == better) that's important.

Frodo said:
That's odd. I always thought that one's particular weight was meaningless; it is the amount of fat (lower == better) and muscle (highter == better) that's important.

thats what i meant... you're confusing me. but yes i want more lean muscle mass

my eating patterns have been fucked up ever since the holidays kicked in. i wake up at like 1pm and hop on the comp until about 4 when i get hungry and i usually eat something bad, and every like 2 hours or so i'd eat again. but the wierd thing is that i'm still dropping weight (which is like 61kg now according to my home scale).

this is really fucked up, suggestions?

As long as you keep up a stable metabolism (the whole eat every 2-3 hours thing), you will NOT lose any muscle mass. I did absolutely NO exercise over summer break (almost 3 months) and I didn't lose ONE pound of muscle (I'm pretty ripped), but I was very strict on never going more than 3 hours without food (healthy food). As long as your metabolism stays in an anabolic state and out of catabolic mode, no muscle will be lost.

I know friends who have terrible eating habits, such as eating one huge meal a day at night with nothing in between, and they lose muscle so fast the instant they stop exercising regularly.

Back