Popular misconceptions about martial arts?

Popular misconceptions,

Q: Is there really a "Secret Death Blow?"

:icon_chee

Of course, how could I forget the death blow? I'll definitely have to add something about DIM MAK!!!!!!

No matter what the martial art is, people still manage to call it Karate.

"So how's your karate going?"

"It's called Mua...aw fuck it. Karate's great, I'm a green belt."

I get this as well, my family tells people I do Taekwando, and I have to explain every time what Muay Thai is :icon_conf

That BJJ looks gay...It's TOTALLY NOT GAY...alright fine it looks gay...fuck you guys and your punches and kicks and whatnot.

Popular misconceptions
1.You would just (insert stupid shit) if someone tried that on you.
2.That all martial arts schools are traditional(KIAHHH!, sensi, boards)
3.Generally karate is at all effective
4.TKD is at all effective
5.Ninjas/Samurais had epic one on one sword battles.
6.Army rangers/US marines/navy seals could beat a pro fighter in one on one unarmed combat.

concerning #5-someone was always dead after the second or possibly third blow.(history channel bro...It's like food for your brain)

Last edited:
3.Karate is at all effective
4.TKD is at all effective

Lol wut? I'm all for pointing the finger and laughing at ineffective bullshit, but blanket statements like that are just ignorant.

There is a lot of footage of karate kicking some serious ass and some footage of TKD not sucking so badly.

Last edited:
I get this as well, my family tells people I do Taekwando, and I have to explain every time what Muay Thai is :icon_conf

Most people say I do kickboxing. They're not correct but technically they're not wrong so I don't bother to correct them

But all the major martial arts :karate, kung fu, tkd, came from china. Im sure cave men had some form of fighting techniques too. But Martial Arts are considered oriental

... no, that's one of the points of this thread. All the Asian martial arts may be based in something that came from China, but there was boxing in Greece and wrestling in Egypt thousands of years before that. Besides, how far back to you go? Did BJJ come from China?

Besides, how far back to you go? Did BJJ come from China?

The Brazillians probably don't think so, or it would be called, CBJJ. :icon_lol:

Of course, if we were to add the Indian and Japanese aspect to get everyone in, it would be called, ICJBJJ. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Last edited:
That technique will always overcome brute force and viscousness.

That youre a ***sy if you fight on the ground and that all grappling martial arts are ghey

The Brazillians probably don't think so, or it would be called, CBJJ. :icon_lol:

Of course, if we were to add the Indian and Japanese aspect to get everyone in, it would be called, ICJBJJ. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Right, but BJJ is an offshoot of an art that's an offshoot of an art that's an offshot of an early Chinese art, so it's TOTALLY from China... :p

Here's a few:

• Guys who like to train in the Martial Arts are violent in nature and always itching to fight.
  • If you excel in Boxing, Wrestling, or fighting (in general) you must be dumb because no civilized educated person would aspire to such things.
  • You are more likely to get injured or die from training in the Martial Arts as opposed to "X" sport/activity.
  • True martial arts doesn't include any sort of weapons training.

There are probably others, but that's what comes to mind in less than 30 seconds.

that muay thai is not a traditional art

Mixed Martial Arts = Traditional Martial Arts. 'Nuff Said.

Right, but BJJ is an offshoot of an art that's an offshoot of an art that's an offshot of an early Chinese art, so it's TOTALLY from China... :p

And that Chinese art is a offshoot of an Indian art which is a offshoot of some Greek/Egyptian/Persian/Roman martial art which can be traced back to a cave man doing an arm bar.

Kung Fu would be useless in MMA.
Shotokan karate = deep stances.

Back