Popular misconceptions about martial arts?

common misconception

that people who train in martial arts are all trying to improve not just as fighters and proponents of their arts; but as people.

at some point this may have been true; but more times than not people are concerned w/being a tough guy much moreso than an honorable-humble-caring guy.

djason 1988,

Modern sport Tae Kwon Do, especially Olympic-style, might actually be worse than useless, since it encourages it's practitioners to believe that they can handle themselves.

Ok I'm sorry to detract from the purpose of the thread but what makes you think that when world level/national level TKD competitors train, they only train to kick for points and not power. Have you ever competed against anyone of that caliber? Have you felt their kicks? Also, what makes you think that they don't do body hardening drills or that they can't handle themselves?

What makes you think that they can handle themselves?

common misconception

that people who train in martial arts are all trying to improve not just as fighters and proponents of their arts; but as people.

at some point this may have been true; but more times than not people are concerned w/being a tough guy much moreso than an honorable-humble-caring guy.

This is sadly true. I have noticed more of this since the MMA fad. I've always tried to not only train martial arts but actually live like a martial artist, it's more than just kneeing someone in the face, it's about being humble, confident and compassionate in my opinion, but now it's more about being "hardXcore" and being an "ultimate fighter".

Don't make me armbar you bro.

I've actually grown to have mixed feelings about the whole "hard sparring" thing since I started Muay Thai. I used to think that Karate and TKD abandoned all the hard stuff because there were too many wussies training in those arts but now I think it may be the fact that only guys and girls that already have good technique can spar hard worth a damn. If I see one more fool punching and kicking as hard as they can when their technique sucks out loud I am going to scream. Come on martial artists, start being disciplined! I am starting to feel for these masters who have to watch those jagoffs butcher their art in the name of "realism". Many MMA guys could learn from some of these..

Come on martial artists, start being disciplined! I am starting to feel for these masters who have to watch those jagoffs butcher their art in the name of "realism". Many MMA guys could learn from some of these..

Could you please elaborate?

djason 1988,

Ok I'm sorry to detract from the purpose of the thread but what makes you think that when world level/national level TKD competitors train, they only train to kick for points and not power. Have you ever competed against anyone of that caliber? Have you felt their kicks? Also, what makes you think that they don't do body hardening drills or that they can't handle themselves?

Sorry I didn't clarify. What I was talking about was the McDojo guys who do nothing but point sparring and have never learned practical self-defense. I believe point sparring teaches several good things, but without actual self-defense values taught it serves very little purpose. And Olympic style doesn't just mean the ones who fight in the olympics, as I'm sure they're very solid martial artists, but the olympic ruleset disallows any head punches and rarely gives points for body punches. On top of that, a large portion of TKD dojang fight only under olympic rules. Not the best influence for self-defense.

That learning the arts will help you become an ass kicker.

Nothing has resulted in more people getting their asses kicked than a few Karate lessons. The arts are for tough people to gain an edge on other tough people. Once a pussy always a pussy and all the martial arts in the world can't change that. Tank Abbott beat the shit out of a buch of guys that thought that martial arts made them a bad ass. Bad asses are born not created by martial arts. Yes Tank eventually got exposed by tough guys with martial arts training but that doesn't change the fact that he crawled of a bar stool and beat a lot of guys that trained their entire adult lives.

That learning the arts will help you become an ass kicker.

Nothing has resulted in more people getting their asses kicked than a few Karate lessons. The arts are for tough people to gain an edge on other tough people. Once a pussy always a pussy and all the martial arts in the world can't change that. Tank Abbott beat the shit out of a buch of guys that thought that martial arts made them a bad ass. Bad asses are born not created by martial arts. Yes Tank eventually got exposed by tough guys with martial arts training but that doesn't change the fact that he crawled of a bar stool and beat a lot of guys that trained their entire adult lives.

harsh but true-learning a martial will teach you how to do that martial art, not how to fight; as the famous boxer dwight muhammed qwai told his sons when they asked him to teach them how to fight, i can teach you how to box...wether you can fight or not is determined by what's in your heart and sometimes the circumstances (if your put in the right spot even a non fighter will become a fighter)

or

as teddy atlas says, an this holds especially true for martial artist; anyone can fight, the question is can you fight back...i.e. what happens when you get put in a bad spot or get popped in your mouth.

great post

Lol wut? I'm all for pointing the finger and laughing at ineffective bullshit, but blanket statements like that are just ignorant.

There is a lot of footage of karate kicking some serious ass and some footage of TKD not sucking so badly.
Fixed, I refuse to say that TKD is effective but I wasn't thinking about Kyokushin karate

Not so true, there are historic records of Samuri returning home covered in shallow cuts from katana's. Since both side knew just how dangerous it was, they both tended to be cautious on the battlefield. Honor duels were a different beast.

They may have been cautious and there may have been more than one shot that connected but someone died after only a few clashes of the sword. Just look at most kendo matches and you'll see that it only takes a couple seconds and someone is "Dead".

Also, 150th post! Yellow belt!

Last edited:
I had a guy tell me that Hapkido is the most deadly martial art. But yeah just the typical clueless guy that thinks there is a Martial Art that is better than all the others and is simply lethal.

Thank you! Most on this board have never sparred a day in their lives. Who the hell do they think they are saying TKD doesn't work, or Kung FU or Hapkido is useless. Have they sparred against any of these styles?

:icon_neut

You obviously didn't read my initial post. I was defending traditional martial arts. FYI, I'm a 4th degree black belt in karate and black belt in aiki-jutsu and have been teaching traditional martial arts for 5 years.

the misconception that all martial arts (with the exception of boxing) are run out of shoddy mcdojos, where you learn endless katas and never get kicked or punched -- the misconception that anyone who has done boxing a few times could beat the hell out of a 'martial artist'.

black belt in aiki-jutsu
I'll assume you know tai sabaki.
My bjj coach had me learn it, needless to say my footwork for
throws and sweeps was way above the 'pull guard' crowd.

That BJJ looks gay...It's TOTALLY NOT GAY...alright fine it looks gay...fuck you guys and your punches and kicks and whatnot.

Popular misconceptions
2.That all martial arts schools are traditional(KIAHHH!, sensi, boards)
3.Generally karate is at all effective
)

I'd like to hear you say that after having sparred against our internationally competitive team of Kyokushinkais. Facepunched allowed but no fucking protective gear except mouthguard and groinprotector!

Misconception: That marital arts in general have a single point of origin.

There's always a kernal of truth in legends.
No, there isn't.

There had to be an old Kung Fu Master who was able to jump 30 feet in the air, or deliver death blows.
I really hope you are kidding here. I seem to have left my sarcasm detector at work.

A common misconception is that BJJ came from Brazil. However, it's nothing but judo with some fancy guardwork.
And Aikido is nothing more than Judo witout randori, right?

Training methods, focus, and competitive rulesets make a difference. "Nothing more" is at best misleading.

Back