Opinion Poll: Will your next car be gas or electric?

Will your next car be gas or electric?

• Total voters
With where I live I need 4x4 and the ability to tow.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm staying with a beautiful clean diesel truck for now. That and no charging stations in a 500km radius. I don't think an EV is viable around here, except, maybe at one or two cities.
If I lived in a large city in the US or Western Europe I'd go for an EV ASAP.

everyone showing nice cars me:
Chevrolegs
giphy.gif

Thinking about getting one of these this week only 20 grand too

144373_2015_Ford_Mustang.jpg

Ford Mustang 2015
Ford announced recently the next gen mustang will be gas through 2030 as well.

Anyway, I plan on getting another Camaro in a few years, so gas for me.

Ford announced recently the next gen mustang will be gas through 2030 as well.

Anyway, I plan on getting another Camaro in a few years, so gas for me.

It's interesting that they decided to also use the "Mustang" branding for their electric CSUV.
I guess they don't have a lot of other strong branding outside of the F series utes and the GT40.

California will dictate that the vast majority of the USA will be driving electric zero emissions cars by 2035.

Once Newsom is gone so is that edict. Newsom once again thinks he can dictate the market but he can't. If it isn't feasible California will be forced to back off of this.

It's interesting that they decided to also use the "Mustang" branding for their electric CSUV.
I guess they don't have a lot of other strong branding outside of the F series utes and the GT40.
That's pretty much it. They knew switching the car over would spell disaster.

I plan on keeping my next Camaro for the rest of my life so it'll be interesting to see how many gas pumps will be available in 20 years if electric becomes norm. There will be a lot of people sandbagging classics cars as well. Like Jay Leno said recently, gas powered cars are here to stay, even if electric becomes the norm.

That's pretty much it. They knew switching the car over would spell disaster.

I plan on keeping my next Camaro for the rest of my life so it'll be interesting to see how many gas pumps will be available in 20 years if electric becomes norm. There will be a lot of people sandbagging classics cars as well. Like Jay Leno said recently, gas powered cars are here to stay, even if electric becomes the norm.

Do you have an official number of years to be eligible as a "classic" in the US? Most of my bikes qualify.
Wouldn't be that hard to switch to E100 anyway, although a bit more work than running a car/bike designed for leaded fuel on unleaded.
I actually really like the torque characteristics of electric motors (although they still lack the character of ICE engine configurations), but with motorcycles there's not likely to be a way around the weight/range trade off and performance penalty for some time at least.

Do you have an official number of years to be eligible as a "classic" in the US? Most of my bikes qualify.
Wouldn't be that hard to switch to E100 anyway, although a bit more work than running a car/bike designed for leaded fuel on unleaded.
I actually really like the torque characteristics of electric motors (although they still lack the character of ICE engine configurations), but with motorcycles there's not likely to be a way around the weight/range trade off and performance penalty for some time at least.
25 years in the US

25 years in the US

It's 30 here, so you've got it even better. Although they relaxed things a couple of years ago so there's no restriction on modifications.

It's 30 here, so you've got it even better. Although they relaxed things a couple of years ago so there's no restriction on modifications.
No restrictions for Mods on classic cars? I think it's the same here.

It's pretty crazy how restrictive California is on mods on newer cars. I had to remove my cold air intake to pass emissions here cause it wasn't legal here (but legal in all the other 49 states). Of course I just put it back on the second I got home.

They have a $1000 fine now for driving with an exhaust that's louder than 95 db. I still yanked my mufflers last year. It idles at 75db and is between 87-90 db at 3000 rpm. Regardless, police only write tickets for that type of nonsense if they pull you over for driving like a dick.

Mods on classic cars? I think it's the same here.

It's pretty crazy how restrictive California is on mods on newer cars. I had to remove my cold air intake to pass emissions here cause it wasn't legal here (but legal in all the other 49 states). Of course I just put it back on the second I got home.

They have a $1000 find now for driving with an exhaust that's louder than 95 db. I still yanked my mufflers last year. It idles at 75db and is between 87-90 db at 3000 rpm. Regardless, police only write tickets for that type of nonsense if they pull you over for driving like a dick.

My state (SA) is more relaxed than Vic or NSW, so we don't have the same requirements for regular inspections (which include db and emissions) or limitations on turbocharging/supercharging and engine swaps.
It used to be that for classic registration a vehicle had to be essentially unmodified, and I have a 1991 GSXR 750 with a worked Bandit 1200 engine in it that wouldn't have qualified next year, but they've removed that requirement.

Hold my beer
Porsche Taycan 761bhp and four-wheel drive 0-60 3 sec 20 min fast charge and shattered the
Nuremberg track record

The newest Model S plaid crushed this by almost 30 seconds I believe, and I remember the model 3 wasn’t far behind the Porsche.

Will your next car be gas or electric? I am due for a new car soon and am torn between the two options.

Some pros and cons:

Gas pro:
  • No plug in
  • No range anxiety
  • Comfort
  • Cheaper in the onset
  • Manly feeling, engine roar, testosterone
  • Off roading and winter
Gas con:
  • Increasing gas prices
  • pollution
  • boring and antiquated
  • Primitive ctv transmissions that break down all the time
  • If in your garage have to stink proof and Carbon Dioxide proof your doors and garage roof.
Electric pro:
  • Huge government financial rebaits (from $7k-$15k depending where you live) https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml
  • No gas costs
  • Cheaper in the long run
  • Greater torque and better city driving experience. Better torque when hit the pedal by far, head snaps back viciously. 0-100 in 3.5 seconds. Will beat any affordable gas powered vehicle.
  • Cool guy on the block, turn heads, maybe conversation starter
  • No oil changes and pesky garage costs
Electric con:
  • Have to charge it every night, pay to upgrade charging speed
  • Have to pay to access outside chargers
  • Only available in small models
  • If you run out of juice you'll have to get towed (expensive and potentially dangerous where you are stuck)
  • Much less manly
  • No off roading, possibly bad in the winter
Parts of Canada ban gas vehicles completely in 2035. Similar bans will take effect in California in 2035, and in Sweden in 2030.

Interesting related story... I trademarked the word "gastric" as a reference to hybrid automobiles that run on both gas and electric power.

I have attempted numerous times to sell the right to the word to Toyota (I am only asking for 10 million) but they have zero interest. In fact, they don't even respond to my emails. Some people don't understand marketing. Their loss.

When you eventually start hearing people commonly referring to "gastric cars" (and you will) you'll know I am rolling in dough.

Good question. I don't know. I like Tesla and the vehicles they make. I can see myself owning a Tesla someday. Right now I'm pleased with what I drive, two gas vehicles. I can imagine it will be sometime before I purchase another car. In that time it will be nice to watch and see what new advancements are made with charging times, and with driving range for EVs.

I'm probably gonna drive my 2003 Toyota Corolla for the rest of my life.

starts at 100k
but thats actually a bargain for whats inside... it was more a proof of what they can do with current tech .. inside 10 yrs you will see many more cars in the competitive 30-50k range just look at the new mustang mach E

you can get a tesla model 3 for like 33k and has a 3.1 sec 0-60 and a 300 mile range on a charge and 10 min quick charge for like 75 miles
https://www.tesla.com/model3
Rather buy a C8 for $60k and go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds

$60K*

*without options. I don't think it'll do 2.8 0-100 without them.
Not as bad as Porsche or BMW though (or Tesla for that matter), when it comes to ticking options boxes and dramatically increasing prices.

It's only the 4-door electric street car record anyway.
I think 4-door car, yeah.

It's obviously a totally different car (2-door sports car vs 4-door family sedan), but what do you think about a Model 3P 0-60 in 2.9 base price under $50k?

Back