• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion Poll: Will your next car be gas or electric?

Will your next car be gas or electric?

• Total voters
The Cybertruck probably won't even be released here, since they were designed specifically for the US market.
I guess people won't pay for bullet "resistant" glass in first world countries other than the US.
Although, when questioned on it, Musk did mention the possibility of a smaller ute designed for the global market if the Cybertruck does well.
It's a shame motorcycle development is so far behind. Harley had to install charging stations along the route for Ewan McGregor to do his "long way up" series on the Livewire, and provide support trucks carting genset charging stations.
In terms of more performance oriented riding, the price and performance (including range) of models like the Lightning Strike, Arc Vector, Energica Eva Ribelle and Zero SR/F fall a fair way short of their ICE counterparts.
I've ridden a zero a couple of times, they are definitely fun, but until that range gets up there it's ice bike for me.

I've ridden a zero a couple of times, they are definitely fun, but until that range gets up there it's ice bike for me.

Not even an option here yet.
The Livewire is the only decent electric road bike available locally, and they want $50K AUD rideaway. All the others are basically scooters.

I feel like Pimp My Ride has somehow fused with reality. Ey bro, guess how many ipads I fit on your car?

Xzibit bless

If musk is being honest about the pricing on the cyber truck that will hopefully be my next ride. Although I may upgrade my motorcycle before then.

Aren't you in Ontario? Not worried about batteries in our type of weather? I am relatively ignorant on this, but every type of battery I've ever used (mainly tools) goes to shit when they're cold. Since I'm driving significant distances sometimes, I need something I can rely on when it's -20 (or below) and I need to go 200 kilometers, not sure I will have access to a charging station, and then return. If all I did was drive around town it would be fine, but that's not the sitaution.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm open to electric vehicles - I just don't trust them to suit my needs yet. Any more info on batteries working in a capacity beyond short-mid range commuting in a cold Canadian winter?

Aren't you in Ontario? Not worried about batteries in our type of weather? I am relatively ignorant on this, but every type of battery I've ever used (mainly tools) goes to shit when they're cold. Since I'm driving significant distances sometimes, I need something I can rely on when it's -20 (or below) and I need to go 200 kilometers, not sure I will have access to a charging station, and then return. If all I did was drive around town it would be fine, but that's not the sitaution.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm open to electric vehicles - I just don't trust them to suit my needs yet. Any more info on batteries working in a capacity beyond short-mid range commuting in a cold Canadian winter?
I know a guy who lives in Parry sound and drives a tesla, if it can handle that place I'm sure it will be fine. From what I've read as long as they don't drop below 20% in cold weather you're still good for rapid charging. The ac charging is good at any temperature. And it will need to good for long range. My commute is 160 km each way.

I know a guy who lives in Parry sound and drives a tesla, if it can handle that place I'm sure it will be fine. From what I've read as long as they don't drop below 20% in cold weather you're still good for rapid charging. The ac charging is good at any temperature

Good to know. I'm on the lookout for accounts like this. Once I see enough of this type of report, I'll make the leap. Since our current car is quite new, who knows? Maybe my next one will be an EV. Years down the road in any case.

You do realize how expensive it would be to buy a EV battery to replace each five years or so right?
Tesla batteries are currently warrantied for 8 years I believe. They say they should be good for 300-500k miles, which is definitely much longer than the life of most cars. Multiple EV-battery makers have announced the imminent arrival of lower-cost, million-mile batteries.

Tesla batteries are currently warrantied for 8 years I believe. They say they should be good for 300-500k miles, which is definitely much longer than the life of most cars. Multiple EV-battery makers have announced the imminent arrival of lower-cost, million-mile batteries.
Yes well knowing that EV cost more then 100k i am staying and sticking around with gas. You will see the turnaround and demand for gas again at some point. EVs wont run as fast as gas nor the same gas/oil type vehicles.

Yes well knowing that EV cost more then 100k i am staying and sticking around with gas. You will see the turnaround and demand for gas again at some point.
What EV cost more than 100k? Almost none. A Tesla Model 3 has a lower 5-year cost of ownership than a Civic.

EVs wont run as fast as gas nor the same gas/oil type vehicles.

EVs crush gas cars in performance.

Used gas car unless used EV is available by then.
The whole EV transition subsidy is a trickle down sham to give tax breaks to rich turds to drive sports cars with batteries in them.

Ideally the future is reduced overall ownership of cars and increased public transit and sharing.
I went from doing 15-20k a year miles to less than 5k this year and don't miss it.

Used gas car unless used EV is available by then.
The whole EV transition subsidy is a trickle down sham to give tax breaks to rich turds to drive sports cars with batteries in them.

Nonsense.

Ideally the future is reduced overall ownership of cars and increased public transit and sharing.

Impossible as it will not meet many people's needs.

We road trip a lot for vacations and are otherwise busy people, doesn’t matter the range of an electric car if you can’t fill it up in 10 minutes and go again. Can’t wait around hours to charge it up

I can’t afford to buy a car exclusively to go to work and back with

That's an insane commute man. Are you sure EV wouldn't be more cost efficient than combustion with that kind of mileage?
It would absolutely be more cost effective. That's a big part of why I want one. If theyre priced at what elon says they will, the payments should come in around what I spend kn gas a month,

We road trip a lot for vacations and are otherwise busy people, doesn’t matter the range of an electric car if you can’t fill it up in 10 minutes and go again. Can’t wait around hours to charge it up

I can’t afford to buy a car exclusively to go to work and back with
The mid-tier cybertruck has a 300 mile range. Charge when you stop for meals. Problem solved

Last edited:
Back