• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Poll: Should Lewis Be Blamed For Those Shots, or Should Herb? Or Should No One?

Lewis's Fault, Dean's Fault, or no one is at fault?

• Total voters

Kyojiro Kagenuma

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This isn't a poll to say whether or not the punches were necessary, there's already one for that. This is for those who are looking for someone to blame.

I'm of the opinion it is what it is. That's what Lewis is there to do. Dean could've been closer, but he got there as fast as he could. Trying to blame Dean after the fact seemed like typical Black Beast behavior, trying to play it off in his usual not so serious tone. I've also heard he said that because Blaydes's team gave him shit for it immediately after, but I haven't seen that.

I'm not passing judgement of Lewis for that, and frankly I think we've seen worse cheap shots. Askren vs Masvidal and Henderson vs Bisping come to mind.

Even Blachowicz has done it to Anderson, who pretty much everyone agrees is an all around great guy. Anderson was definitely fucking out, but Blachowicz wasn't sure in that moment. I'm gonna give Lewis the benefit of the doubt.

Lewis did nothing wrong he actually followed the rules, had he actually continued to punch Blaydes while Herb is trying to pull him off then that would have been wrong

Herb should been closer to the action so he could stop those extra punches on an unconcious Blaydes but he was too far away

If the extra punches on an unconcious on a fighter seems to bother some fans so much then those fans should launch a petition with the Athletic Commission to ban punches on an unconcious opponent

Until the rule changes that the ref has to pull you off before you stop it will never change

I totally see why Derrick followed up.... He kinda pushed Blaydes over after hitting him with the uppercut and was already committing to a followup punch before Blaydes hit the canvas.

Herb Dean was way out of position here though.

Herb turned out to be too far away at the time of the KO. I cant 100% blame him for not knowing exactly when the ko was going to happen. I dont blame Derek at all. He did what he was there to do. If he didnt ,it could have been him.

No one. It all happened fast and in the heat of the moment. It was kinda hard to watch but I've seen worse in the early days.
I thought Henderson vs Bisping was worse, tbh. Henderson looked down, saw Bisping was laid out, and essentially elbow dropped him but without the elbow. Lewis vs Blaydes happened so much faster.

This isn't a poll to say whether or not the punches were necessary, there's already one for that. This is for those who are looking for someone to blame.

I'm of the opinion it is what it is. That's what Lewis is there to do. Dean could've been closer, but he got there as fast as he could. Trying to blame Dean after the fact seemed like typical Black Beast behavior, trying to play it off in his usual not so serious tone. I've also heard he said that because Blaydes's team gave him shit for it immediately after, but I haven't seen that.

I'm not passing judgement of Lewis for that, and frankly I think we've seen worse cheap shots. Askren vs Masvidal and Henderson vs Bisping come to mind.

Even Blachowicz has done it to Anderson, who pretty much everyone agrees is an all around great guy. Anderson was definitely fucking out, but Blachowicz wasn't sure in that moment. I'm gonna give Lewis the benefit of the doubt.
Also i dont blame derek for saying what he said. He doesnt know where Herb was or why he was late,so thats all he can say

I thought Henderson vs Bisping was worse, tbh. Henderson looked down, saw Bisping was laid out, and essentially elbow dropped him but without the elbow. Lewis vs Blaydes happened so much faster.
When i saw it it looked bad and i gave hendo the benefit of the doubt...until he said that he knew bisping was out. The fact joe asked him shows that he felt it looked like it was. I dont like that at all. That is not somethin to be proud of.

Herb Dean was too far away, but at least he reacted and got over quickly, even if he did seem to check once more whether or not to stop the fight from touching distance.
One extra big shot after the KO blow was inevitable so it only really cost Blaydes the one extra on top of that.

No one. I give Herb shit often, but he’s not clairvoyant and these are two big ass dudes. Imo he did what he could. Derrick followed up in a way I’ve seen tons of times, not everyone can turn off the switch immediately, I don’t think there was anything too unusual about it.

As for the post fight antics, we’re talking about Black Beast... he has an idgaf joker attitude about almost everything he does. I don’t have a problem with it either because I don’t see it as malicious, and I doubt a shadow realm’d Curtis cared anyway. He also might’ve been mad at being made such a big underdog by the media and bookies. In the post fight presser he was more serious and said he was glad Curtis got up and was OK.

People are forgetting Francis basically did the exact same thing, only the ref jumped in a little quicker. I don’t remember there being a lot of controversy about that one.

20f2x4.gif

Last edited:
No one. I give Herb shit often, but he’s not clairvoyant and these are two big ass dudes. Imo he did what he could. Derrick followed up in a way I’ve seen tons of times, not everyone can turn off the switch immediately, I don’t think there was anything too unusual about it.

As for the post fight antics, we’re talking about Black Beast... he has an idgaf joker attitude about almost anything he does. I don’t have a problem with it either because I don’t see it as malicious, and I doubt a shadow realm’d Curtis cared anyway. In the post fight presser he was more serious and said he was glad Curtis got up and was OK.

People are forgetting Francis basically did the exact same thing, only the ref jumped in a little quicker. I don’t remember there being a lot of controversy about that one.

20f2x4.gif
Because people dont like to see it,and Curtis got it worse than the reem. I dont either. But you have to be real about what kind of sport this is. Fighting is chaotic and dangerous and consequences will be dire. Its a sport but it is also something else.

I don't blame anyone. Lewis fought until the ref stopped it, and in my opinion, Herb Dean got there as soon as he could. Sure, Lewis could have seen that Blades was out, but in the heat of battle you might not always see that. Your like a shark that smells blood in the water, you see your opponent hurt and you swoop in for the kill. It's a tough, brutal sport!

Herb was on the other side of the cage. IDK why, there was space to be closer. And he was sideways behind Blaydes, so can't see the KO punch. BB said the follow-up shots were Herb's fault, and clarified that at the post-fight presser. Should've been there sooner. Also said it's his job to continue until the ref calls it, as the opponent could rise up like Tyson Fury.

Both.

Love Lewis, I was happy he won. But in your heart of hearts when you know someone is out, don't even fuck with the ref....just stop. FTR: yes I’ve fought and yes I’ve KO’d someone.

Hindsight is 20/20. Lewis is a good guy, I believe that. Maybe next time he won’t and I’m sure there will be a next time.

Back