Polish Power is a myth, more like Polish pillow

Is Ian Blachowicz a KO powerhouse?

• Total voters
Guy knocks out Corey Anderson, Luke Rockhold and Reyes with both feet planted to the ground. How are you going to convince people he's not a ko artist? With your words and that topless actor you use as your profile pic?

By statistics and evidence. You realize in the light heavyweight division, about 50% of all matches are won via KO or TKO. If you are a KO artist in that division specifically, you should at least have the vast majority of your wins via KO.

With the way they market/advertise polish power, you'd think he has a 90% KO ratio or something.

So he KO'ed 3 people recently, that makes him one of the strongest punchers in the light heavyweight division? Nope.

Couldn't KO Izzy over 5 rounds, couldn't even KO Souza over 5 rounds, and those were recent. He had a long history of no KO wins before Anderson.

It’s hard to see a lhw punching like the hardest hitting heavies. Maybe Manhoef and Rumble would be the objections. Jan is on a calorie deficit and dehydrates himself significantly to make 205, that alone takes a toll on his power. Yeah, the guy hits hard but NOT Ngannou, Rumble or Carwin hard.

By statistics and evidence. You realize in the light heavyweight division, about 50% of all matches are won via KO or TKO. If you are a KO artist in that division specifically, you should at least have the vast majority of your wins via KO.

With the way they market/advertise polish power, you'd think he has a 90% KO ratio or something.

So he KO'ed 3 people recently, that makes him one of the strongest punchers in the light heavyweight division? Nope.

Couldn't KO Izzy over 5 rounds, couldn't even KO Souza over 5 rounds, and those were recent. He had a long history of no KO wins before Anderson.
You do know MMA math doesn't just include "A beat B and C beat A so C beats B." Judging a fighter sheerly on statistics is pretty idiotic too. Francis Ngannou has won his matches via KO/TKO 75% of the times, does that mean he's not a knockout artist since he's below that 90%?

You do know MMA math doesn't just include "A beat B and C beat A so C beats B." Judging a fighter sheerly on statistics is pretty idiotic too. Francis Ngannou has won his matches via KO/TKO 75% of the times, does that mean he's not a knockout artist since he's below that 90%?

Fine 90% is too high, but you should at least average the amount of KO's in your division.

The average light heavyweight fight results in 50% KOs. Ian has about half that. Put it this way, if I had to bet on Ian winning a fight, I probably wouldn't bet on it via KO/TKO unless the guy he's facing has no chin.

Hendo was KOing and TKOing people since his pride days in 2005. When was Hendo ever a decision machine? For like his first 10 fights? He's been a KO machine for like 10 years before he even arrived in the UFC.

Ian has gotten a few KOs. He's nowhere close to the amount of KO's that Dan had.

Plus, no one ever sold or gimmicked Hendo as a KO machine, they talk about the H Bomb but that's about it. With Ian, it's constantly, that Polish Power will take you out on one shot! Ian has that one hit KO power! You gotta watch out for that power from Ian! In every Ian fight, they focus on his power, when the guy has one of the lowest KOs in UFC history.

Hendo wasn't called Decision Dan because his fights went to decision alot, he got that nickname because he had SEVERAL questionable judges decisions in Pride

I agree with you. It's just recency bias of him finishing guys on his way to a title shot in the last 2 years...

But...

Why are you calculating his T/KO percentage out of his total fights and not out of his wins?

I agree with you. It's just recency bias of him finishing guys on his way to a title shot in the last 2 years...

But...

Why are you calculating his T/KO percentage out of his total fights and not out of his wins?

Cause you don't KO someone when you lose the fight, I'm calculating it based on odds of him koing someone in a fight, not based on odds of if he wins, does he win by KO.

I mean, it depends on the question you want to answer, if you are asking:

1) How likely is it he will KO someone

vs.

2) If he wins, does he win via KO?

It's marketing you dummy.

Fine 90% is too high, but you should at least average the amount of KO's in your division.

The average light heavyweight fight results in 50% KOs. Ian has about half that.
I'm going to be more fair with you. Yes, I agree Jan's resume alone does not justify him being labeled a knockout artist. But if we are doing an eye test, I think it's more than fair to call Jan a knockout artist after what he has shown us for the last two years. His opponents certainly agree with that because they see his hand as a big threat. Also, don't you think two years is a long time to be labeled recent? He's on a five fight winning streak.

It's marketing you dummy.

It makes me cringe that the marketing is working on fans though.

It also makes me cringe that the cage side announcers keep up the marketing actively in a fight.

The announcers constantly talk about him having that one hit KO power, the dude literally has one of the lowest KO ratios in the light heavyweight division.

It makes me cringe that the marketing is working on fans though.

It also makes me cringe that the cage side announcers keep up the marketing actively in a fight.

The announcers constantly talk about him having that one hit KO power, the dude literally has one of the lowest KO ratios in the light heavyweight division.

U must be fun to hang out with.

You should offer to spar with him.
because that solves everything? So would you be comfortable going up against a sniper who has a 10 percent head shot count, when both of your families are the targets in a set time limit? Just stfu

Cause you don't KO someone when you lose the fight, I'm calculating it based on odds of him koing someone in a fight, not based on odds of if he wins, does he win by KO.

I mean, it depends on the question you want to answer, if you are asking:

1) How likely is it he will KO someone

vs.

2) If he wins, does he win via KO?

Yeah, my point is you are using T/KO percentage to approximate how "powerful" someone is.

I agree with the conclusion but I don't agree with how you got there.

It doesn't make sense to say a guy who is 1-10 with 1 punch KO isn't powerful because he has a 10% KO rate. It could be his technique sucks and he didn't get a chance to hit the other guy but the 1 punch he landed was a finish. That's a powerful low skill guy.

With Jan it's even more complicated because he's clearly high skill and has OTHER skills in addition to power (look at his sub rate). So getting an idea of his power (using the T/KO stat instead of a direct measure like a strength test, punching machine, etc) is tricky with Yan. And calculating his T/KO as a percentage of his total fights just waters down how much he actually does finish with punches.

Personally, what I would do is as a percentage of his wins because that's whats commonly used.
Or, perhaps a better measure would be to use multiple statistics. Show T/KO rate as a percentage of wins and as a percentage of fights that weren't finished by other means (win or lose).

That all said, I still think you are right, polish power is exaggerated by receny bias.

The first time I heard of Polish power was with all the fight hype with Riddick Bowe vs Andrew Golota fights

Golota dropped Bowe more than a few times in both fights.
Bowe / Golota 2 was a damn slugfest. HW dont fight like that anymore
That damn dirty cheat Golota. I remember him being called 'the foul pole'.

His ko power is definitely exaggerated
He's still a great fighter though

jan_blachowicz.jpg

When you KO/TKO like 4 ranked fighters in a row you probably got some power. I don't think the stats tell the full story there, the guy just casually rearranged Reyes nose with like an arm punch.

It's most likely that in a fighters losses, he didn't get to utilise his weapons most effectively therefore the potential of those weapons shouldn't be judged off those losses. Hence it is better to only include the wins.

Back