• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Poliquin on Fish Oils and my own Personal Experience

ahab said:
:eek: I'm at 3 and I'm quite content. Maybe if I need some cheer I'll give it a whirl...

Keep in mind the general recommendation with fish oil is a daily total of 3-6 grams combined EPA/DHA. So to get 3 grams of combined EPA/DHA with a standard 120/180 pill form, you'd need 10 grams of fish oil.

ive just started taking fish oil and like it, but my friend was telling about flax seed oil. Is this similar or totally different?

MikeMartial said:
Keep in mind the general recommendation with fish oil is a daily total of 3-6 grams combined EPA/DHA. So to get 3 grams of combined EPA/DHA with a standard 120/180 pill form, you'd need 10 grams of fish oil.

I noticed earlier in the thread you stated you take the extra strength kirkland pills. How many caps a day do you take to make it to 3 Gs a day? I'm about to go check it out myself right now but if you already did the math it would save me time (i hate math :icon_chee )

Mr. KiLo said:
I noticed earlier in the thread you stated you take the extra strength kirkland pills. How many caps a day do you take to make it to 3 Gs a day? I'm about to go check it out myself right now but if you already did the math it would save me time (i hate math :icon_chee )
The brand I take is Health Balance, which I buy at Costco; it's a Canadian brand that may not be available in the US, so it's not actually a Kirkland brand. Regardless, the EPA/DHA is 400mg/200mg per enteric coated pill. I also use Ascenta Nutra Sea liquid fish oil, and the EPA/DHA is 800mg/500mg per tsp. (5mL).

I take either 1 tsp or 2 tabs x 3 a day, so I hit between 3.900mg and 3,600mg of combined EPA/DHA per day; this doesn't include food sources like nuts and fish, or my once-a-day Udo's oil.

darthdawg3 said:
ive just started taking fish oil and like it, but my friend was telling about flax seed oil. Is this similar or totally different?

It's similar but different. There's a few threads floating around on it, and I just posted why it's different the other day.

darthdawg3 said:

i found his post for you ( and me as well)

posted by mike martial=

Fish oil: contains EPA and DHA, anti-inflammatory omega-3 acids

Flax oil: Doesn't contain any EPA or DHA. Contains ALA, which is converted in the body (at a very poor rate of about 5%) to EPA and DHA.

mike you seem to know your shit. good job and thanks.

I have not taken fish oil in about a week as I am waiting for a shipment of Liquid from heathfromthesun, and tonight I about went ballistic, telling one of my training partners to "shut the f up" and inviting him to try out the left hook he accused me of throwing too much, despite the 80% hit rate.

Maybe the fish oil has been supressing the inner-douchebag that is me.

Art Vandelay said:
I have not taken fish oil in about a week as I am waiting for a shipment of Liquid from heathfromthesun, and tonight I about went ballistic, telling one of my training partners to "shut the f up" and inviting him to try out the left hook he accused me of throwing too much, despite the 80% hit rate.

Maybe the fish oil has been supressing the inner-douchebag that is me.

LOL!

On a separate note I had to buy a bottle of fish oil from the supplement store at the mall just to hold me over until I can drag my Dad to Costco and I forgot how over-priced some of this stuff is.

*edit

meh nevermind, wasn't taht funny after all.

I read an interesting article in Macleans magazine about how many major food companies are fortifying their products with fish/flax oil so that people will be able to increase their intake of Omega 3 fatty acids. The article received quite a few response letters pertaining to the fact that many of these products don't indicate on their labels as to where they're getting their O-3 from, fish or flax. One mother wrote about her concern for her daughter who happens to be allergic to fish. I never thought about those people. Must suck for them because I do notice more and more products at the supermarket that are now "Omega 3 Fortified."

Just wanted to bounce this idea off you guys.

What do you guys think about taking larger doses of fish oils but on non consecutive days to mimic eating servings of fish?

instead of taking 6-9 grams daily but taking 12-18 grams once every two days or even 18-27 grams every 3 days?

Sonny said:
Just wanted to bounce this idea off you guys.

What do you guys think about taking larger doses of fish oils but on non consecutive days to mimic eating servings of fish?

instead of taking 6-9 grams daily but taking 12-18 grams once every two days or even 18-27 grams every 3 days?

I can't see how it would be more beneficial than an every-day, standard dose. I don't know the half-life of EFAs, but IMO a steady supply would reap more benefits than an intermittent, fluctuating supply.

MikeMartial said:
I can't see how it would be more beneficial than an every-day, standard dose. I don't know the half-life of EFAs, but IMO a steady supply would reap more benefits than an intermittent, fluctuating supply.
He is correct in his reasoning.

I take about 12-15 fish oil capsules a day.I can honestly say I don't stress out about anything anymore.Maybe it's cause my life isn't that stressful (college student),but I don't get worried like I used to about exams and the like.It's kinda bad though,cause the stress was a catalyst for getting my work done.

Yeah, KK mentioned something to me about issues revolving around trying to digest that much fish oil.

Sonny said:
I read an interesting article in Macleans magazine about how many major food companies are fortifying their products with fish/flax oil so that people will be able to increase their intake of Omega 3 fatty acids. The article received quite a few response letters pertaining to the fact that many of these products don't indicate on their labels as to where they're getting their O-3 from, fish or flax. One mother wrote about her concern for her daughter who happens to be allergic to fish. I never thought about those people. Must suck for them because I do notice more and more products at the supermarket that are now "Omega 3 Fortified."

As "one of them", yes, it does suck. :icon_neut

Sledge Hammer said:
As "one of them", yes, it does suck. :icon_neut

So basically you have to buy products that aren't Omega 3 fortified then right?

Fuck this stuff I bought from the health food store is making me break out something fierce.

So far the Costco Enteric Coated shit is the best in terms of NOT making me look like a slice of thin crust.

Sonny said:
So basically you have to buy products that aren't Omega 3 fortified then right?

Pretty much. I always have to read (more like scrutinize) the ingredient list of most products. I have noticed a difference in the last couple of years about food labels listing possible ingredients - but mostly relating to soy, milk and nuts.

To steer clear of fish, I just eat omega-3 fortified eggs that are vegetarian fed. And just last week I picked up a bottled of moega-3 flax oil pills only to (luckily) read that it had fish oil in it.

Sledge Hammer said:
Pretty much. I always have to read (more like scrutinize) the ingredient list of most products. I have noticed a difference in the last couple of years about food labels listing possible ingredients - but mostly relating to soy, milk and nuts.

To steer clear of fish, I just eat omega-3 fortified eggs that are vegetarian fed. And just last week I picked up a bottled of moega-3 flax oil pills only to (luckily) read that it had fish oil in it.

I guess people with peanut allergies have it worse. My mother in law can't eat anything because of a peanut allergy.

Back