• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Poirier trains 6 rounds of wrestling with a new guy every round. Is Khabib DONE?

"These guys rotating in on me, it might be their first round, but it’s my fourth.
"That sound like the Hughes brothers pounding each other behind the barn, Joe!"
<Goldie11>

If (when) he gets taken down he needs to do everything he can to get back up as soon as possible. No patience, no waiting for an opening.

You can see how it happens. Their coach brings in wrestlers. They do well. They gain confidence. Come up with a strategy and then Khabib grabs them and after a minute or two of furious struggling something dies inside them.

Dustin is very live in this matchup. Lot of folks sleeping on his skillset. However, the wrestling he acquires in this camp will not be enough to match Khabibs. Dustin will not win this fight by out wrestling Khabib. He can hurt Khabib standing. With proper footwork and distance striking he can keep Khabib away. He did start to fade in the 3rd of the Max fight tho. Cardio might be an issue.

Big Khabib fan but something about a yank going to the Middle East and dropping bombs on the hometown hero is pretty hilarious.
Not sure how Khabib is a hometown hero as a Dagestani fighting in Abu Dhabi. That's like an Irish guy as a hometown hero in Mexico City because they're both catholic.

I don’t think Poirer will catch up in terms of overall skill set from one camp but if he has the cardio, and knowledge to defend positions a few times, and can get some offense off, he could surprise us. I think people don’t give enough credit to how crazy a can be, anything could happen.

Not sure how Khabib is a hometown hero as a Dagestani fighting in Abu Dhabi. That's like an Irish guy as a hometown hero in Mexico City because they're both catholic.
Not exactly. Think you may be looking into the joke too much.

{<huh}

He gassed after three rounds of striking and had to wall and stall in the 5th, if you threw wrestling in the mix he'd gas even quicker.
The pace of that fight was faster than any other 5 round fight I've ever seen. Holloway went 100% and never slowed down. Most fighters would have collapsed. Total strike count from both fighters was off the charts from what I remember.

He needs to do the opposite of what McGregor did and ditch the attitude of being able to grapple with khabib. If (when) he gets taken down he needs to do everything he can to get back up as soon as possible. No patience, no waiting for an opening.
<PlusJuan>
My thoughts exactly. Just train to ur strengths or like you would for most fights

Look at the casual fanboys that believe everything joe rogan says... "This is what ya get with a guy like nurmagomedov, life time of grappling, eh!"

These are the same people who thought ben was gonna come into the UFC and destroy everybody

Ben has one flukish loss.

He will be champ.

Khabib is the best LW ever.

Fuck your goofy "casual" "rogan" rhetoric lol

ya boob

Well that's good that Poirier is training his wrestling and making sure his cardio is on par for the fight

I don't think Khabib is done but I feel like this should be his toughest fight so far
I agree. This should be Khabib's toughest fight. Dustin is definitely better than Ragin' Al.

I mean, if Dustin can keep Khabib from taking him down, then Khabib's standup is going to get a serious test. I just question whether Dustin can keep Khabib off him for 25 minutes. Even if Dustin wins rounds 1 and 2, if he gets tired and taken down in round 3, Khabib could still take over and grind him out.

Dustin is never, ever, ever, ever going to out wrestle Khabib.

But, he will still win the FIGHT and give Khabib his first ever loss.
Yea, he would get destroyed in a pure wrestling match. But as you implied, he just needs to defend takedowns enough to land some strikes. There's a big difference between defending takedowns and outwrestling Khabib.

Khabib is good but he ain't no Jones / GSP. Never been tested against an elite wrestler either. Dustin has a very good chance.

Why this negativity about Dustin? No chances or not, he earned this shot, he paid in full (t-shirt now available for only 25$) if I may use his words.
All I know is I wanna see a competitive fight and a war, no matter who wins.
8rWSPVW.gif

All well and good but what level are his sparring partners at? If not at least near the level of khabib it don't matter how many rounds he is doing.

Khabib has been doing this since he was born

Rooting for Doostin, but... I don't, man. I just don't know.

anything can happen in a fight, but i dont think he can be better for 25 minutes. He seems focused on grappling which is a big miatake since he cant reach khabibs levels there. He should focus on his strengths and grapple defend 2nd. He cant win on the ground. It has to stay standing for him to have any chance. I think we will see dustin succum to the pressure of the eagle.

I thought Max would outpunch and outbox Poirier. I thought DP had plateau'd before he moved up.
I was wrong and now believe his work rate to be outstanding.

Lets go DP. Beating the odds is the best way to do it.

Back