Poirier is the weakest link of the lightweight old guard

I'd would say he's the best of the old guard aside from Charles. Looking at the top 15, Islam, Charles, Gamrot, Arman and maybe Turner are the only ones I think would beat him. Everyone else he beats or is a pick em'

Poirier gave up the belt since he choose to fight Conor.

Poirier is going to be Paddys Yan after he beats Tony. (except Poirier will beat Paddy)

Paddys best chance to sneak in and get a title shot imo.( ufcs ideal situation)
And Aaron Simpson is the 30 something Randy Couture in the 40 something crowd.

Poirier is going to be Paddys Yan after he beats Tony. (except Poirier will beat Paddy)

Paddys best chance to sneak in and get a title shot imo.( ufcs ideal situation)
Paddy / Dustin would be like matching some random off the street up with prime Fedor.

That’s Mendes / MacKenzie levels of mismatch.

I still think Dariush, RDA, Chandler, and Hooker are a notch below Poirier if we are talking about the older end of top 10ish LW’s. I’d favor Dustin H2H against all of them, I’m not quite convinced that Dustin has really fallen off quite yet.

The last 5 years Dustin has only lost to the absolute cream of the crop.
Yeah, it depends what's meant by "old guard." Tony is beyond that. I don't really think of Dariush as part of it, as he's mostly been in the background until recently...but he's 34, so maybe so. I don't think Hooker has been good or consistent enough to be in a conversation with Poirier, Chandler and RDA...never sniffed a title shot. Gaethje is also 34 (older than Hooker) and seems like another candidate with 2 failed title shots. I'd say
  1. Gaethje
  2. Dariush and Poirier tied (Dariush might beat Dustin by wrestling but he's chinny so who knows)
  3. Chandler
  4. RDA (old/shopworn and doubt he'll ever fight at LW again...had troubles cutting way back in the day so that's why he went to WW)

Dariush beat Gamrot. Gaethje beat Fiziev. Islam beat Arman. While Poirier is a more accomplished lightweight, I don't think he would have the same success against the younger guys because has worse TDD and has historically looked bad against wrestlers. Not sure who he could fight to get another chance at a title shot. Gaethje was the one guy I thought could get him there.
This is why everyone needs to just chill and let things play out.

A few months ago, roughly half of sherdoggers, fans and gamblers thought he’d beat Justin. A year before that, many thought the top 5 were worse than the 6-10 (until Justin and Dariush beat two of them, and then suddenly that trend died fast, heh).

Now he’s seemingly the weakest of the old guard. While I basically agree…I look forward to finding out.

I’d love to see Poirier fight anyone ranked below him in the top 10. I hope he doesn’t just hold out for money fights.

Porier should have fought Beneil. I think he would beat him in a five round fight.

That said, everyone sucks after a loss, right? Good job, TS.

I’m quite confident he’s limiting it to Charles, Justin, Michael and Dustin. And maybe Dariush, but that doesn’t make much sense but he’s often included anyway.

Justin - age 34, been in the UFC since 2017, has 12 fights with the promotion

Dariush - age 34, been in the UFC since 2014, has 22 fights with the promotion

Please explain how Dariush being old guard doesn't make sense.

Poirier titleshot aspirations are probably done. He is a great fighter, a true warrior and a fan favorite. Nothing but fun fights for him now imo and that is how it should be. Dude is accomplished inside and outside the octagon, has a beautiful family, a wife that looks wild and that is what it is.
A wife that looks wild? The fuck

Porier should have fought Beneil. I think he would beat him in a five round fight.

That said, everyone sucks after a loss, right? Good job, TS.

Win or lose Poirier has always had a weakness to wrestling. Are you guys blind or something? I still remember the fight with KZ.

If he had beaten Gaethje I would be making a thread about how Islam is going to wrestlefuck him very easily. It doesn't matter that he lost by KO, doesn't change what his weaknesses are.

Back