Poirier is the weakest link of the lightweight old guard

blaseblase

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Dariush beat Gamrot. Gaethje beat Fiziev. Islam beat Arman. While Poirier is a more accomplished lightweight, I don't think he would have the same success against the younger guys because has worse TDD and has historically looked bad against wrestlers. Not sure who he could fight to get another chance at a title shot. Gaethje was the one guy I thought could get him there.

Poirier titleshot aspirations are probably done. He is a great fighter, a true warrior and a fan favorite. Nothing but fun fights for him now imo and that is how it should be. Dude is accomplished inside and outside the octagon, has a beautiful family, a wife that looks wild and that is what it is.

Poirier is going to be Paddys Yan after he beats Tony. (except Poirier will beat Paddy)

Paddys best chance to sneak in and get a title shot imo.( ufcs ideal situation)

I still think Dariush, RDA, Chandler, and Hooker are a notch below Poirier if we are talking about the older end of top 10ish LW’s. I’d favor Dustin H2H against all of them, I’m not quite convinced that Dustin has really fallen off quite yet.

The last 5 years Dustin has only lost to the absolute cream of the crop.

Oh yeah for sure. Dustin lost his last fight. That means he was never that good.

He's a great fighter. Has a lot of good names on his resume. I'm talking about his weakness to wrestling. Arman and Gamrot are grinders, terrible stylistic matchups.

I still think Dariush, RDA, Chandler, and Hooker are a notch below Poirier if we are talking about the older end of top 10ish LW’s. I’d favor Dustin H2H against all of them, I’m not quite convinced that Dustin has really fallen off quite yet.

Dariush wrestlefucks him unless Poirier can catch him early like Oliviera did.

If losing to Gaethje makes you a can then almost all of LW and most of WW would be cans as well . Poirier is only behind Islam , Charles and Gaejthe and he beats everyone else. He may beat anyone in front of him on any given night.

He's a great fighter. Has a lot of good names on his resume. I'm talking about his weakness to wrestling. Arman and Gamrot are grinders, terrible stylistic matchups.

Arman has lost to every top 10 guys he’s faced, and Gamrot got spanked by the “old guard” in Dariush… these guys are good but I’m not buying to whole next level world beater stuff until they actually beat elite competition which they have yet to do.

Arman has lost to every top 10 guys he’s faced

Is that your clever way of saying he had a competitive fight with Islam in his UFC debut and got robbed on the scorecard against Gamrot?

Gamrot got spanked by the “old guard” in Dariush…

Dariush is an elite grappler himself, a BJJ world champion.

these guys are good but I’m not buying to whole next level world beater stuff until they actually beat elite competition which they have yet to do.

Styles make fights. Arman doesn't have to beat Islam or Dariush to beat Poirier. We are talking about a fighter with a weakness to high level grappling.

You brought up his loss to Islam, yet you don't seem to have actually watched that fight since you're doubting his grappling.

Do you not consider styles at all when analyzing these fights? Matchups are based on strengths and weaknesses. A fighter can lose to the number 5 ranked fighter but win against the number 3 ranked fighter if there is a flaw they can exploit.

Anyone can lose against Justin
Most of the ranks have lost to Charles
Everyone loses to Khabib

But he's also beaten a who's who of top names.

Of course, I do think he should be back in there fighting everyone and don't know if that's in his plans, but assuming he's the weak link is bold

Back