Poirier is the weakest link of the lightweight old guard

Justin - age 34, been in the UFC since 2017, has 12 fights with the promotion

Dariush - age 34, been in the UFC since 2014, has 22 fights with the promotion

Please explain how Dariush being old guard doesn't make sense.
Because unlike the other guys, he's spent the last decade working his way up. The others have been there for a long time.

I mean cmon man, is Abdul Razak Alhassan "Old Guard"? He's 38! lol

But you did unintentionally confirm that you're limiting this thread to those 4 guys. Which suggests your intent behind this entire thought process (which I've already detailed). So I'm out. Thank you.

He should fight Chandler again. That will be a fun fight again! Winner can fight Justin again.

Win or lose Poirier has always had a weakness to wrestling. Are you guys blind or something? I still remember the fight with KZ.

If he had beaten Gaethje I would be making a thread about how Islam is going to wrestlefuck him very easily. It doesn't matter that he lost by KO, doesn't change what his weaknesses are.

Dariush's defensive wrestling is better than his offensive wrestling. He has cardio issues. He doesn't have the best chin. He can be goaded into a war or has shown he'll fight recklessly. Could Benny beat Poirier? Definitely. I still think Poirier is a better striker, has a better chin, and if he can get back to his feet, he's got a great shot at beating Benny. While Dariush may have better wrestling, Poirier's weakness in grappling is more significant in regards to submissions, not necessarily positioning, something that Dariush doesn't excel at compared to guys like Khabib and Charlie Olives. It isn't a forgone conclusion that Dariush can beat Poirier. I think it's a very competitive fight, and one that he can win.

If Poirier knocked out Gaethje you'd create a thread that he would get grapple-fucked by Islam? Well, it's obvious you want to hate on him. Feel free.

Oh yeah for sure. Dustin lost his last fight. That means he was never that good.
Which he was winning ever so slightly btw. Everyone gets caught eventually, Dustin's still really fucking good. The disrespect shown on Sherdog is fucking ridiculous but not surprising.

Last edited:
Is that your clever way of saying he had a competitive fight with Islam in his UFC debut and got robbed on the scorecard against Gamrot?

Islam vs Volk was competitive, Islam vs Arman was Arman able to stuff a few takedowns but pwned 30-27.

He just loses to elite grapplers, but still manages to hurt them before hand.
And a great high kick caught him once in 37 fights...

Cxxctz
He should fight Chandler again. That will be a fun fight again! Winner can fight Justin again.
They should being Eddie Alvarez back and have him fight them all again.

Clearly better then Dariush. Compare their Oliviera performances. Charles cheated vs Dustin.

Historicaly bad vs Wrestlers. You're a new fan trying to sound seasoned. In his career he only got outwreslted by Khabib. Charles did win with a glove grab and bjj.

I remember when guram and ismagulov were supposed to be the next big things at LW and the best strikers of the division....

Yea the term "old guard" is subjective for sure. I had to look and was kinda shocked that Islam has been in the UFC since 2015. Benny only has him beat by 1 year. Medium guard, perhaps?
St-Denis is coming :D

Yeah I like him and steam rolla

Dustin is past that. He is a money fight guy now. I don't buy the new guys are so much better because they more or less all come from the same gyms. The old guys are still training in the same spots.

weakest-link-goodbye.gif

Back