Plyometrics.

NickC

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have recently started doing plyometrics with a medecine ball, and have been noticing great results in my cardio, strength and most of all "explosiveness" (sudden movements). I just have a basic generic routine given to me by my friend who is a personal trainer, but I wanted to know if you guys knew of anywhere that I can find a plyometrics routine that is MMA specicfic.

Team Quest training DVD. I can sell you one brand new.

What is your routine lookike?

Team Quests is very good. Our MMA gym teaches it. Good stuff, helps with core strength.

Sounds good, gut is there a full plyometric routine in the video?

NickC said:
Sounds good, gut is there a full plyometric routine in the video?

I'm not sure what you are looking for as far as routine. They have a good routine to incorporate into MMA. They complement each other very well. If you get it simply for the plyo, you will be disappointed. They demonstrate several moves and routines, and that is it.

Gotcha Brandinho, I actually was looking specifically for a plyometric routine with the medecine ball for MMA to improve my quickness if you have any ideas.

you can put together your own routine.....check out-

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

whole list of plyos there....theres however quite a few more that are useful....i personally have used tuck jumps, clapping pushups, and vertical ball throws with a squat in my conditioning and i like it alot.

I dont know what youre doing now, but here's my routine (boxing)

2 x 10 Box Jumps - Start standing on the ground about 2 feet from a stomach high box. Explosively jump staright up onto the box landing flat on your feet. Step down and repeat
2 x 8 Depth Jumps - start standing on a mid-thigh high box. step, not jump off the box landing on two feet. As soon as youre feet touch the ground, explode up onto a stomach high box. From the step off youre feet should be in contact with the ground for as little time as possible. Think speed and explosivness
2 x 20 Quick jumps - start standing on the ground and jump up onto a 2 foot box up and down as fast as possible
2 x 20 Medicine ball right crosses - the idea is to simulate a right cross as much as possible. Get the ball up at your shoulder and throw it like a punch to your partner. Make sure you use your hips for power just like when you throw a hard right hand
2 x 20 Medicine ball jabs - same thing but simulate a jab

I do this twice a week and add some med ball drills target ing my abs after. give it a try and let me know what you think

wenispinkle said:

whole list of plyos there....theres however quite a few more that are useful....i personally have used tuck jumps, clapping pushups, and vertical ball throws with a squat in my conditioning and i like it alot.

Great link! Thanks

I added some med ball exercises to my training about two weeks ago. I had forgotten how good a workout you can have using them. I have a 5 kg ball that bounces, which is important to some of the drills if you don't have a training partner, but do have access to a brick or concrete wall.

Med ball scoop toss (up)
Twist toss against a wall
Med ball scoop toss throw (backwards)
Standing over head soccer throw
One arm push throw to wall (punching motion)
Multiple hops to overhead throw (back wards)

I do 10 reps of each movement as explosively as possible and have been doing three of the above circuits as part of my morning cardio. Not strictly a plyometric workout as the rep numbers are a little high but its a good med ball routine.

wenispinkle said:

that link is great, has everytyhing you need for plyo's....as far as MMA specific, some may work better than others for MMA but I would recommend just mixing it up, pick a few and put them in your routine and after a few weeks change them up! I have always personally loved plyometrics and they have helped me greatly!

Here's one we do at my gym (for Thai and MMA). We do it in teams of 3. 2 people at either end of a jumping rope hold it about 5-6" off the ground. Jump side to side over the rope as fast as you can for 10 (or 15, or 20) reps, then turn so your facing the rope and jump back and forth for 10 or 15, then turn again so your back to where your started. Jump over the rope, sprawl and "slip" under the rope (if you're bigger your partners will have to raise it a bit), then explode up as fast as you can (part push up part jump squat) over the rope. Trade of with your partners, then start again when they're done.

Back